What's new

Oil based extractions

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all. I apologize in advance because I assume this has been discussed into the ground already, but I want some more basic information about this (as opposed to detailed process stuff). Is the basic idea saturating dried root in oil, and then eating the oil?

If so, does it really become a lot stonger than, say, tossing and washing?

I'm interested in all this but I want to get the basic premise down. I love the coconut oil idea.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
The basic idea is to slow cook the root in an oil/water mix and the let the two separate. The root stays in the water, and the kavalactones stay in the oil

kl.metacog

Kava Enthusiast
Also as you've probably noticed it tends to bring out the 'head' kavalactones and not so much the body. For me, spoon for spoon it is stronger than T & W but YMMV.

If you want to experiment with small amounts in the oven, use a cupcake pan and reduce the ratios.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
buddha, check out my coconut oil post, as meta said its strange it seems to only bring out kavain, and in my experience enhanced the kavain stronger than normal. I used boroguru and it gave a very strong head effect but no body effect. In using coconut oil you cook it together with water and kava and the lactones stick to the oil. If you try it I would use a root that you werent going to use anyways just to test whether you like it. It was a fun experiment for me, but I dont think I will do it again since I need primarily body effect. It cool that it shows that kavalactones are lipid soluble.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I sort of haphazardly threw about 3/4 cup worth of buroguru, with equal part coconut oil and a little over a cup of water into a small pot and simmered it for around 40 minutes at just before boiling. Not very scientific but we'll see what happens. I also need the somatic effects, but I couldn't resist giving this a go. So you think I should eat about a tablespoon or so?

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
yeah, try 1-2 tablespoons

if you put it in the fridge the oil will separate and solidify making it really easy to clean up, u can even wash it with cold water

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
So, i posted that I was doing this little experiment on facebook and a friend of mine suggested making chocolate using the oil, so as per his instructions I took the oil containing the extract, added equal parts sugar, butter, and cocoa powder and stirred them up on the stove at very low heat. I also added a dash of rice milk which I probably shouldnt have, but I tell you it tastes amazing - really strong kava taste but very pleasant at the same time. So I popped it in the fridge to harden and if all goes right tomorrow I'll have a few ounces of kava chocolate.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
You can buy it a KTB. I bought some with my last order. I put a few drops in with my shells. Its nice.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
yeah buddha, i make a similar dessert with carob and stevia instead

coconut oil is great for that, people who follow a raw diet use that for a lot of their desserts

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Mos3z, you make it with kava oil? Did you get much effect wise with the finished product? Mine seemed to turn out pretty good but I havent sampled it yet.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Buddhacide said:
Mos3z, you make it with kava oil? Did you get much effect wise with the finished product? Mine seemed to turn out pretty good but I havent sampled it yet.
you gotta sample that shiz and tell us how it turned out!

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
I tried this too, by the way, but I wouldn't take a thing from my attempt. I was using third-use kava because I feel like I perfected my first two uses with it and wanted to see how much more I could get.

I didn't think it through either, for the amount of kavalactones left in there I used way too much coconut oil. So I went through the whole process and then realized "crap, I'm not going to EAT all this oil."

Even then I still could feel something from it. It wasn't potent, but for third wash kava, and for how much I ate, not bad. It was very very temporary though, I would let it dissolve in my mouth, would feel it, then it would go away.

I might try again using the same leftover oil.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
Krunkedout said:
Buddhacide said:
you gotta sample that shiz and tell us how it turned out!
Hey guys, no i didnt try it with the oil yet, I own a bakery and ive made that dessert in the past. It should work fine, although to me the kava coconut oil tastes pretty good by itself.

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah, mine was a bit of a bust. I assumed it hardened all the way through but it was just the top layer. The rest is more of like a custard consistency and seeing as its half butter is a bit gross. Tastes not too bad, but I have a hard time eating a spoonful of pure butter and oil. Very rich. Mos, do you have any suggestions on how to get better results? Maybe something to make the chocolate harden better? I have basically no culinary knowledge and little intuition about these things.

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
skip the butter, just melt coconut oil, sift in cocoa powder (or carob if u dont want caffeine) and sift in powder sugar (or stevia) pour in candy mold, put in freezer, ready in about 20-30 min

keep in the fridge once its done or it will melt