What's new

One kava session causes bad dry eyes so I can't drink Kava?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skippykava

Kava Curious
After I drink kava from just one session a day or two later I will get extreme dry eyes. It is so bad it is very hard to keep them open and I have to put eye drops about every 15 minutes.

I have not been drinking kava chronically and am just getting into kava. I am concerned that if I am this sensitive to kava then that means maybe I can't drink kava, or I am going to have to just put up with the dry eyes every time I drink kava and only do so on occasion.

I'm using a really good filter bag, 10 microns, so it doesn't seem to be a sediment issue. I really like kava now too because I finally found out how to get good root and a good filter and how to make it.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Thanks

Crunked

Proselytizer
I sometimes suffer from a dry eye (always the right for some reason). It mainly happens after a bigger than usual kava session. All I can suggest is:
  • Make sure you are well hydrated before, during and after your session. In other words, drink LOTS of water.
  • Before going to sleep use the extra thick eye drops such as Thera Tears Liquid Gel . The gel can also be used in the daytime for strong lubrication.
  • Adjust the amount of kava you have in a session. For example drop the amount 20% and see if you still get the dry eye. Or perhaps try a different kava and see if that makes a difference.
Good luck.

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
Thats the sign of a good kava session to me. It happens 30 minutes into drinking a strong batch of kava for me though. Goes away by next morning.

skippykava

Kava Curious
@greenbeen That would kind of make more sense or be tolerable. For me it happening two days later and being super strong all day is hard to figure out. I wonder if getting shower water in my eyes in the morning and the chlorine is adding to it in some way. I'm applying the drop before much symptoms now.

F3TU5

Kava Enthusiast
@greenbeen That would kind of make more sense or be tolerable. For me it happening two days later and being super strong all day is hard to figure out. I wonder if getting shower water in my eyes in the morning and the chlorine is adding to it in some way. I'm applying the drop before much symptoms now.
Do you wear contacts?

Crunked

Proselytizer
Two days later? I'd suspect other factors are also involved. Chlorine? Do you do a lot of swimming (without goggles)?

Kimmer

Patently irritable
Kava gives me dry eyes too. I keep a jug of water next to me at all times (including the middle of the night). I also keep eye drops on my nightstand, as it's my understanding that preventing dry eyes is important as well. I use drops before bed, when I wake up in the middle of the night, and first thing in the morning. It seems to help.

skippykava

Kava Curious
I almost suspect that somehow eating spicy food a few days after kava is causing the dry eyes somehow because I think I ate Chipotle a few days after and then it happens the next few days. I'm not sure at all about that, but it popped into my mind. I got dry eyes months ago when I tried kava, but I don't know if I ate Chipotle then too.

skippykava

Kava Curious
I drank kava on Saturday and started to get dry eyes on Monday and Tuesday. Thankfully it looks like it wasn't too bad this time, but if somebody can't solve the problem of what causes the dry eyes then drinking kava is going to be a major problem.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I drank kava on Saturday and started to get dry eyes on Monday and Tuesday. Thankfully it looks like it wasn't too bad this time, but if somebody can't solve the problem of what causes the dry eyes then drinking kava is going to be a major problem.
Skippy, do you take anything like prilosec or nexium?

Chaucer

Kava Curious
I've noticed something similar but my eyes don't feel dry, just kind of sore (similar feeling to after swimming with eyes open). I'm new to Kava and I've been using Micronized Moi for three weeks in somewhat modest doses (3 times a week I'll do 2 tbs in morning and 1 tbs before dinner). Not sure if this is kava related or not but thought that I would report in case others are experiencing same.

Status
Not open for further replies.