What's new

One more Aluball question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaXva

Kava Curious
Sorry to be hitting you guys with so many questions...

So I just got my Aluball today along with some Supreme!
The first wash was 2 tbsp and the Aluball was about half filled with water. The second wash wAs slightly less water.
I have to say I was pretty disappointed. It seemed pretty watery and diluted.
I’m only going on what I did with my KWK starter pack. With that I was doing 4 tbsp/traditional prep and about 8 oz of water per wash. I thought that was great and I don’t even mind the taste of kava...so a strong brew didn’t bother me.
Am I doing something wrong with the Aluball? Or is there a way to make a stronger brew? I don’t think you can go any less than 1/2 a container of water...
I’d rather not have to order just another ball, when I currently don’t need anything else...
Thoughts?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Sorry to be hitting you guys with so many questions...

So I just got my Aluball today along with some Supreme!
The first wash was 2 tbsp and the Aluball was about half filled with water. The second wash wAs slightly less water.
I have to say I was pretty disappointed. It seemed pretty watery and diluted.
I’m only going on what I did with my KWK starter pack. With that I was doing 4 tbsp/traditional prep and about 8 oz of water per wash. I thought that was great and I don’t even mind the taste of kava...so a strong brew didn’t bother me.
Am I doing something wrong with the Aluball? Or is there a way to make a stronger brew? I don’t think you can go any less than 1/2 a container of water...
I’d rather not have to order just another ball, when I currently don’t need anything else...
Thoughts?
if I am using only one AluBall and I want a regular strength grog, I use 2 TBS medium grind. On the first wash I use 300 ml water and shake for one minute, put that in a jar and make sure you shake the "empty" ball and then drain out some more grog. Do that 5 times or so. Shake, pour, shake pour.... Clackety clack. For the second wash I use 200 ml water, and I shake for 2 minutes, and add to the jar with the first wash. Again, shake that "empty" ball to release as much liquid as you can, and it will take 5 or more times before you stop getting "just a little more." That stuff is the best part, btw and you do not want to miss it. Anyway, I then put a lid on the jar with the two washes and shake to blend. This is just what I do and it works well for me. There are many other ways and with experimentation you'll find which you like best.

kaXva

Kava Curious
if I am using only one AluBall and I want a regular strength grog, I use 2 TBS medium grind. On the first wash I use 300 ml water and shake for one minute, put that in a jar and make sure you shake the "empty" ball and then drain out some more grog. Do that 5 times or so. Shake, pour, shake pour.... Clackety clack. For the second wash I use 200 ml water, and I shake for 2 minutes, and add to the jar with the first wash. Again, shake that "empty" ball to release as much liquid as you can, and it will take 5 or more times before you stop getting "just a little more." That stuff is the best part, btw and you do not want to miss it. Anyway, I then put a lid on the jar with the two washes and shake to blend. This is just what I do and it works well for me. There are many other ways and with experimentation you'll find which you like best.
Hey! Thanks for getting back to me. So do you mean by the time your done with the “first” wash...you’ve used about 1500 ml of water?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hey! Thanks for getting back to me. So do you mean by the time your done with the “first” wash...you’ve used about 1500 ml of water?
no, 300 ml on the first wash and 200 ml on the second wash for a total of 500 ml grog from 2 TBS. I then save the makas from that and get a yield from it of an additional 250ml, but that's when I aggregate it with a large amount of other makas I accumulate in the freezer. Of course, you can just chuck the makas after 2 washes, most people do, and I did for a long time. But I find by aggregating the makas after 2 washes I can get another 50% yield on my grind, at the same level of strength. Now, this is not an especially strong grog, to be sure, but neither is it especially weak.

It's average daily drink' grog. For times when I want it stronger I drop that water ratio a little, but with that little water per TBS I really need to use two balls. Usually with 4TBS in 2 balls I'll go 500ml on the first wash and 400ml on the second. But if I want it stronger I'll drop it to 400ml and 300 ml, respectively. OTOH if it is a very strong kava, or I want it weaker, I can drop back the water ratio, so for example with Supreme or Savusavu, which are very strong, for me anyway, I would still double ball with 500ml/400ml but I would use 3 TBS instead of 4, i.e. 1.5 TBS in each ball.

A lot of this comes down to personal tastes. Some folks like their grog stronger, some weaker. I know for myself there's a point below which I don't want to go, or else I feel like "why bother?" And sometimes I just want a nice strong grog. So there's a range of options depending on grind, mood, time of day, desired effects, etc...[/QUOTE]

kaXva

Kava Curious
no, 300 ml on the first wash and 200 ml on the second wash for a total of 500 ml grog from 2 TBS. I then save the makas from that and get a yield from it of an additional 250ml, but that's when I aggregate it with a large amount of other makas I accumulate in the freezer. Of course, you can just chuck the makas after 2 washes, most people do, and I did for a long time. But I find by aggregating the makas after 2 washes I can get another 50% yield on my grind, at the same level of strength. Now, this is not an especially strong grog, to be sure, but neither is it especially weak.

It's average daily drink' grog. For times when I want it stronger I drop that water ratio a little, but with that little water per TBS I really need to use two balls. Usually with 4TBS in 2 balls I'll go 500ml on the first wash and 400ml on the second. But if I want it stronger I'll drop it to 400ml and 300 ml, respectively. OTOH if it is a very strong kava, or I want it weaker, I can drop back the water ratio, so for example with Supreme or Savusavu, which are very strong, for me anyway, I would still double ball with 500ml/400ml but I would use 3 TBS instead of 4, i.e. 1.5 TBS in each ball.

A lot of this comes down to personal tastes. Some folks like their grog stronger, some weaker. I know for myself there's a point below which I don't want to go, or else I feel like "why bother?" And sometimes I just want a nice strong grog. So there's a range of options depending on grind, mood, time of day, desired effects, etc...
[/QUOTE]
Thanks!!
I tried that method and it worked great! Supreme is really nice and relaxing!

Status
Not open for further replies.