What's new

Powdered Kava Review Ono

Kravatomill

Kava Curious
I had quite a long kava break before the pandemic hit. Being stuck at home it seemed like a very good way to spend quarantine here in Bangkok. However, I wanted to ensure my opinion was not influenced by my long break, so I kept from posting any reviews until I had “re-activated” kava in my system to the fullest, now after trying all the varieties at Cactus Kava during the last 3-4 months I feel like I can finally give a valid opinion, albeit obviously subjective to my experience.

Ono was the first one I ordered, and to this day it remains my favorite. I usually brew 10g/cup of water, and use about 30-40g for an evening. Usually with a second wash made of the remains plus approximately 1 cup of water, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how well I kneaded it during the first wash.

After 3-4 shells (little more than ½ cup each) my face is numb, a “pressure” behind my eyes which is very hard to explain unless you know what I’m talking about. The numbness quickly spreads throughout my body and just laying around watching series, reading books or just listen to music and relax is all very blissful. To me it’s a perfectly balanced kava, and while I used to prefer heavier “weekend grade” kavas, I must say that I am happy to have this one as my more-or-less daily grog since it leaves me without any “hangover” or sluggishness the next day. Even if I drink it early in the day, I am perfectly fine to do things like playing badminton 6-7 hours later.

While it’s the kind of weekday kava I prefer I can see how it may not be ideal for some if studying or working on some projects. Again, I think that’s very individual, but personally I become quite inactive which is perfect for the time being, but I tend to prefer drinking early evening before dinner else I won’t get much done that day.

All in all, an excellent product I will revisit again and again for as long as it’s around!

Last edited: