What's new

Opiates possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

currentbun

Kavacidal Maniac
Has anyone had urine tested and has it come back showing small amounts of opiates?

Had some testing today. It wasn't a drug test but they asked if I'd used any recently. Have any regular users had this happen? Could it cause a false positive?

:confused:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I don't understand, if it wasn't a drug test (presumably some kind of urinalysis), what caused them to ask you? Some kind of dehydration issue?

There is no test for kava or kava metabolites, there are a couple reports of false positives, as far as I know, having talked to a person that works in the business, those are down to people trying to get off the hook by blaming a legal substance for their failed drug test.

currentbun

Kavacidal Maniac
It wasn't a drug test (not for a job or anything like that), but the intention may have been to confirm that I wasn't taking any medication for medical reasons.

To be clear, are you saying there might be false positive in any circumstance or that it's possible the kava may have caused it? I'm not looking to "blame" kava at all, just trying to figure out if something else in my diet or environment may have caused it.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I'm saying there are a couple of reports of false positives floating out there on the internet but there's really no reason to suspect that consuming kava can actually cause any kind of false positive based on its chemical structure. We've never had anyone on here claim it.

(here is an old post from @infraredz )

There's absolutely no reason why (or even how) kava could cause a false positive for a UA. Besides, even if it (by some 1/1,000,000 chance) tested as a FP, the lab would confirm it with GC/MS and it would obviously be clean.

The molecules and metabolites are nothing alike.
RE: diet have you eaten any poppy seeds recently? that may do it.

currentbun

Kavacidal Maniac
I'm saying there are a couple of reports of false positives floating out there on the internet but there's really no reason to suspect that consuming kava can actually cause any kind of false positive based on its chemical structure. We've never had anyone on here claim it.

(here is an old post from @infraredz )

RE: diet have you eaten any poppy seeds recently? that may do it.
Funny you say that. I asked the same but was told it would take huge quantities to get a reading (maybe the guy learned that from Seinfeld?). I do eat an ET bagel nearly every day, but not enough to call it a good amount.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Yes, it is possible and fairly common for there to be very small amounts of opiates in the blood of people who have never used opiates. This is because poppy seeds (the kind that you find on foods such as bagels, cake, etc) actually contain small amounts of morphine. Seriously. So the places that do those tests always set the bar above the amount of morphine you normally would get from eating a muffin or something.
http://www.usada.org/can-poppyseeds-cause-a-positive-drug-test/
"According to the WADA Prohibited List, morphine is a threshold substance and WADA-accredited laboratories determine a test is positive for morphine when the level of morphine in the urine is greater than 1.3[1] micrograms/mL. In most cases, consumption of poppy seeds in foods will not cause a positive doping test, but it may be possible to exceed the morphine threshold by eating foods with poppy seeds."

verticity

I'm interested in things
Also see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=morphine and codeine on poppy seeds thevis
"One selected batch of poppy seeds was used as an ingredient in a typical cake and was the object of an excretion study with nine volunteers. After application, several urine specimens contained morphine with concentrations higher than 1 microg/mL, and peak values of approximately 10.0 microg/mL were detected. Because the International Olympic Committee set a cutoff limit for morphine at 1 microg/mL, high-performance athletes could possibly test positive in doping control after consumption of products containing poppy seeds."

currentbun

Kavacidal Maniac
Also see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=morphine and codeine on poppy seeds thevis
"One selected batch of poppy seeds was used as an ingredient in a typical cake and was the object of an excretion study with nine volunteers. After application, several urine specimens contained morphine with concentrations higher than 1 microg/mL, and peak values of approximately 10.0 microg/mL were detected. Because the International Olympic Committee set a cutoff limit for morphine at 1 microg/mL, high-performance athletes could possibly test positive in doping control after consumption of products containing poppy seeds."
That answers it. 'Cause if I'm eating around 5 bagels with some poppy seeds in a week, it wouldn't be unreasonable that it would show in small amounts.

You're awesome sometimes, ya know? ::urock2::

Status
Not open for further replies.