What's new

Opinions on powdered extract?

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Out of curiousity I've decided to try some kava extract pills. It's from a reputable place that I buy lots of herbs from, so I'm not really concerned about safety and quality. I am curious about others experiences. Are extracts effective? Do they give you the kava experience?

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Out of curiousity I've decided to try some kava extract pills. It's from a reputable place that I buy lots of herbs from, so I'm not really concerned about safety and quality. I am curious about others experiences. Are extracts effective? Do they give you the kava experience?
I haven't heard of anybody having success from those kind of pills without using a large quantity of them. With that said as you already seem to know, most of those pills contain Tudei Kava from my understanding. Have you tried Kava candy? It's fairly effective for temporary stress relief if that's what you are looking for. Nothing really comes close to a traditionally prepared Kava that I'm aware of.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
No I haven't tried the candies. I have lots of things going right now, and a gentle kava relaxation and mood lift without prep would be good right now. I also like the idea of the kl's being standardized. Traditional prep has a lot of variability from one batch to another. Mostly it's just a try it to see if it does anything for me type of thing. I don't intend on taking large amounts. I know you can never be 100% sure what's in these products, but it is from a small company that I trust. The stuff on Amazon or in health food stores I have no interest in.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
No I haven't tried the candies. I have lots of things going right now, and a gentle kava relaxation and mood lift without prep would be good right now. I also like the idea of the kl's being standardized. Traditional prep has a lot of variability from one batch to another. Mostly it's just a try it to see if it does anything for me type of thing. I don't intend on taking large amounts. I know you can never be 100% sure what's in these products, but it is from a small company that I trust. The stuff on Amazon or in health food stores I have no interest in.
The only problem with many of those supplements is even if the manufacturer has the best intentions they might not be aware of adulterated kava. I personally tend to only buy Kava products from companies that take regular tours to the farmers they purchase from for that reason. I believe the company that makes Kava candies does other things too but they seem to have a good reputation. Sorry if I haven't been able to help much on your particular situation, if you don't get much success from those I highly recommend the candies.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Kavannah is a hand crafted blend containing Vanuatu sourced noble kava root powder of the Borugu variety which has been reinforced with a full spectrum hydro-alcoholic extract concentrated to a 30% kavalactone content, and is complimented by the addition of milk thistle seeds and extract, fermented kanna powder, and extracts of cocoa and ginger.
The one I went with has kava and kanna. I've used both of these in their natural state, so it should be easy to tell if it's effective. Here's what the site says.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
You don't like or want to use your Aluball? its great for quick and easy prep. On my way to England yet again on Monday and this time managed to find room in my suitcase for my Aluball and a bag of medium grind - taking @Paulie-Paul's Tongan Family Reserve because its perfect for every situation! I wasn't going to take any kava but I'm hearing once more that my family is having problems - a glass of wine ain't gonna cut through my family dramas. I need my kava!

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
The aluball didn't seem to work as well as traditional prep for me. I'm actually a big fan of traditional prep. Part of it is a budget issue. I want to use it every day, so a 1/2 pound bag doesn't last very long. I'm going through a crazy amount of stress right now, and something that I can take and get reliable effects with would be great. Father in laws cancer is getting worse. My husband has md, and there's a good chance my daughter does as well. Throw in everyday life, and it's amazing that I have any sanity left at this point. ::chugger::

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I would say no unless they can show some amount of testing to back up their claims. I also wonder at the wisdom of mixing stuff together - just because they sound like it would be a good idea. It sounds like your real issue is that you want the convenience of no prep but also low cost. The more work that goes into making it convenient to use the more the customer is going to have to pay. If you really wanted convenience, portability, and standardization then I would recommend the candies. Still and extract but at least you know he is using noble to do it. Otherwise the most convenient is instant but is expensive. I suppose you could try capping instant to make it more portable, but unless you have the equipment capping is pain in the ass.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
I've used kava and kanna at the same time with no issues. They have the same kava they use for the extract available as well. If I like the pills, I'll order enough medium grind to do an acetone test.

chandra

Kava Enthusiast
Well the powdered extract isn't even in the same league with kava. I took two of them (about one gram) and felt absolutely nothing. Dosage says 1-4, but if two doesn't do anything than it certainly won't help my budget. The strange thing is that I'm not disappointed that it didn't work. I'm totally fine with the fact that lovingly working it with my hands is the only way for me to really enjoy it. As for the budget issue, kava is once again in the occasional treat category, and I guess that's ok too.

Kaptain Kava

Kava Curious
The kava candy is nice and helps calm you a little if you're stressed, but I dislike other extracts. Most people won't have much luck with capsules of powder and you'll probably get nausea before any good results anyway. I've tried instant kava as well and it's the same thing for me. Nausea defeats the whole purpose.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
The kava candy is nice and helps calm you a little if you're stressed, but I dislike other extracts. Most people won't have much luck with capsules of powder and you'll probably get nausea before any good results anyway. I've tried instant kava as well and it's the same thing for me. Nausea defeats the whole purpose.
I agree. I like the Candy as well in a pinch, when traveling, or out at a social event; but their is just something about the effect that is off. I had the same reaction to the extract that GHK made awhile back. It was good, but it was like it was super heady or something. Hard to put my finger on it. I definitely prefer traditional prep.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I agree. I like the Candy as well in a pinch, when traveling, or out at a social event; but their is just something about the effect that is off. I had the same reaction to the extract that GHK made awhile back. It was good, but it was like it was super heady or something. Hard to put my finger on it. I definitely prefer traditional prep.
I found the same with the GHK extract. Very heady and energizing but a totally different experience than traditional prep. My guess is the extraction process pulls out more kavian then some of the other heavier KLs - but who knows. Doesn't seem like anyone has tested their C02 exctracts to find out % of each KL to see if the chemotype changes. Even if he had kept on making it I probably would not have reordered. Not my cup of tea, errr I mean kava.

KavaCat

Meow.
I like kava candy for its accessibility, but have to eat a whole pack to do more than take the edge off. I've taken Gaia capsules, but their effects don't kick in for me until I take a massive number of capsules, so I have to wonder how much of the actual product is kava, and how much is the lecithin they list on the ingredients. I cut a capsule of Gaia open and dissolved it in a little warm water, and it was nowhere NEAR the potency of the old extract from Paradise kava... and that had a bit of sugar in it. I don't know if Gaia capsules are stored too long and poorly or if they're stretching it out, paranoid that people will take too much and make themselves sick. I bought a couple of bottles for experiments' sake, gradually increasing the number of capsules taken. I have LITERALLY taken up to 20 of the capsules of Gaia, with no ill effects. Even those 20 caps were not very strong, nothing when compared to traditional kava, it was just the number of capsules that made me go "Okay, that's enough, this isn't worth going any further, to find out when it gets good". I'm actually betting that you could safely take the entire jar of Gaia. Don't quote me on that, of course, and don't do it. Just.. you know, I'm just saying they're pretty weak in my experience. Not worth what you spend on them. The same goes for the kava extract liquid I got from sprouts. It didn't have any ill effects, but it was hilariously weak. $25 for one bottle of liquid, and it tasted more like honey than kava, and which I drank the entirety of over an evening. Gaia's capsules are not great, but Sprouts Farmer's Market extract is beyond a rip-off. It was insulting. Nobody who is an experienced kava user is going to feel like they got their money's worth, when you have essentially condensed two shells into a $25 bottle, and if you're NOT an experienced kava user, then that weak of a solution- which they only recommend something like 15 drops of!!- is going to do nothing more than give you a placebo effect, at best. Even if you had THE best kava sensitivity on the planet, I doubt the recommended dose would have any noticeable effect. It's literally worthless.

I keep the candy around for conveniences sake, but unless you've got a lot of money, it can in no way be one's staple form of kava intake. The cost is prohibitive and the effects aren't as good. I mentioned Paradise extract, and that stuff was absolutely beautiful... strong, pure, tasted like good kava. THAT is an extract that was on par with traditional kava. But it was pretty pricy, too, and they've retired from doing that now... so. I would happily use that as my go-to if they were still in business.

Last edited:

Paulie-Paul

thekavaroots.com
Kava Vendor
You don't like or want to use your Aluball? its great for quick and easy prep. On my way to England yet again on Monday and this time managed to find room in my suitcase for my Aluball and a bag of medium grind - taking @Paulie-Paul's Tongan Family Reserve because its perfect for every situation! I wasn't going to take any kava but I'm hearing once more that my family is having problems - a glass of wine ain't gonna cut through my family dramas. I need my kava!
Malo, I wish you all the best over there