What's new

Optimal kneading time (another mini research project by Root & Pestle)

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
As a follow up to the recent post we published on doing multiple washes, we've just published a new post focusing on the optimal kneading/traditional preparation time: https://kavasociety.nz/blog/2024/8/...gpreparation-time-research-by-root-amp-pestle

It basically confirmed what we suspected to be the case based on our experience, but soem of the results were still quite surprising (e.g. that it may take just as little as 80 seconds to attain near max kavalactone extraction). Also an interesting reminder that there might be more to the factors influencing kava experience than mere kavalactones (as rightly suggested by @Alia )

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
As a follow up to the recent post we published on doing multiple washes, we've just published a new post focusing on the optimal kneading/traditional preparation time: https://kavasociety.nz/blog/2024/8/...gpreparation-time-research-by-root-amp-pestle

It basically confirmed what we suspected to be the case based on our experience, but soem of the results were still quite surprising (e.g. that it may take just as little as 80 seconds to attain near max kavalactone extraction). Also an interesting reminder that there might be more to the factors influencing kava experience than mere kavalactones (as rightly suggested by @Alia )
Thank you. This study I referred to regarding "secondary metabolome of Piper methysticum from root powder and water extracts" is a sleeping giant in my opinion. To be sure, it's not the first time these substances have been suggested but it is quite definitive that these volatile compounds would not/could not be in kavalactone extracts...yet they contribute to-- antianxiety, anticancer, strong antioxidant effect, which has possibility in benefitting certain inflammatory diseases. All this demonstrates that kava beverage is important in a healthy diet. Moderate kava consumption. I envision a day when kava analysis will not be limited to kavalactones. Interesting also for folks who grow kava...(one of the authors) told me the plants themselves will give off some of these volatiles. This remains such a fascinating plant!!