What's new

Optimizing Extraction of Kavalactones

infraredz

BULA!
I found this today and thought it might be of interest, if nothing else.

Optimizing the extraction of kavalactones during preparation of kava beverage

Now, the methodology seems a bit flawed, as we all know that 60-120 seconds of kneading and squeezing is nowhere near enough time, however there is some conclusive evidence comparing frozen/dry, small/large particle and probably most applicable hot vs cold water.

As Kapm and all of us concluded, hot water does help. Now we have numbers for this stuff. I'm amazed at how efficient some of those extractions are (40-54%)!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Interesting indeed. I enjoy seeing the results for there various prep. combos. One thing they didn't mention (I think?) is what they used to strain/knead and the size of the holes in it. Obviously the fine ground kava will result in higher kavalactone % when you are consuming more of the plant material that slips through the strainer. If only it were cheaper & easier to get fresh frozen on the mainland :/

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, that is a very important consideration that was (hopefully) kept constant. To be honest, I'm really surprised at how strangely the study was conducted. The reporting was not organized in the way that I usually see (and was taught to be proper) where all variables are constant and you change one variable in the various different ways and report it that way (eg. one grind, one prep with varying temps). It seems they might have just reported everything as they conducted the trials (chronologically) and the conclusions aren't consistent with some of their findings (so maybe they averaged the results...?)

Anyways, thought it was cool to have some numbers to look at. For me, it's "ooooohhh, ahhhh numbers and charts and data" :p

infraredz

BULA!
Well, whatever my secret is, I'm getting bowls that look like this
kava2.jpg

Those bubbles were resilient little buggers. That's 5 mins after I finished straining it. Does anyone get kava that looks like that? I'm curious because watching videos/seeing pictures of kava, it's always a "flat" looking drink without visible swirls of oil and big bubbles.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
What did you do to make that? I'd say I definitely end up with some "froth" on my kava although not as much as that

infraredz

BULA!
Blended for a total of 8 minutes (two 4min blends on low), with a soak overnight. Then I pour it into my strainer and squeeze out everything I can get.

P

pitshack

I must say that that is an impressive bowl of kava infraredz! I ususally get some bubbles but not nearly anything like that. Although I only use 6tbsps followed by traditional prep. I guess the blender makes a huge difference. Your'e the man Infrareedz!:D

D

Deleted User01

I found this today and thought it might be of interest, if nothing else.

Optimizing the extraction of kavalactones during preparation of kava beverage

Now, the methodology seems a bit flawed, as we all know that 60-120 seconds of kneading and squeezing is nowhere near enough time, however there is some conclusive evidence comparing frozen/dry, small/large particle and probably most applicable hot vs cold water.

As Kapm and all of us concluded, hot water does help. Now we have numbers for this stuff. I'm amazed at how efficient some of those extractions are (40-54%)!

D

Deleted User01

Good Job Infrareedz. That document has really good info. It's not perfect but it's pretty darn good.