What's new

Optimum dermo prevention?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I've been talking about taking coconut oil capsules daily for a while now. They seem to ward off most of the dermo despite daily drinking of fairly large quantities of kava. I've been taking a few other supplements for other things but I've noticed my skin has got a lot more hydrated since I've been taking them. I thought I'd put them here and if anyone who suffers particularly badly from dermo want to try them out then they can.

The two supplements are Vitamin E and Pine Tree Bark Extract (Pycnogenol). Both are reported to improve the condition of the skin amongst other things so could be worth a try combined with coconut oil. I'd be interested to hear anyone else's experience.

D

Deleted User01

Makes sense. The Islanders of yore probably consumed a lot of coconut oil too.

Summer

mercy triumphs over judgment
I eat a lot of sweet potatoes with coconut oil and cinnamon, and have mildly dry skin despite daily kava consumption.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Regarding the vitamin E. Folks should be aware that there is some evidence that supplemental antioxidant vitamins such as E and C are not as good for you as people think, and possibly even bad for you. It is an interesting story that hasn't made it into the popular consciousness yet:
http://kavascience.org/posts/t53-The-Vitamin-Myth-and-Linus-Pauling
And while we're at it probably worth reiterating that everybody should seek proper advice before starting any kind of supplementation.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Just curious as to why you don't purchase a bottle of coconut oil and drink a couple swigs every kava session? This is what I have been doing for the last year and a half and seems to be working. Are pills stronger?
I like the taste but I don't like the oiliness of it. The capsules are just easier for me, especially in the lorry. Also it's good portion control, I know roughly how much I am consuming every day. I suppose either way would work.

schatz

itchin for kava
I understand, the oiliness and taste could be bothersome to those that have taste buds. I can eat or drink just about anything so I just drink it, and noticed that my skin dosen't get dried out anymore like it did the first year I drank kava. I even made my own lotion for the fist year and applied it at least once a day to keep my skin from going dermo on me. Now I haven't lotioned up in 4 months or so and no dryness whatsoever, so I don't know for sure but maybe the coconut oil does help with that and if anything I think I get a better kava session when I drink alittle coconut oil with my kava. Also I have been a little more catious to drink certified nonle kava lately from GHK or Kalm so maybe thats helping too.

schatz

itchin for kava
That is what I have been doing and I take my coconut oil with my evening kava to potentiate the effects also. Not sure if it really works but it has been the way I have done it for the last couple years with no ill effects.