What's new

Kava Botany Orange county kava ?

D

Deleted User01

That looks like the ornamental kava that I got "suckered" into. It is cold tolerant whereas my Moi Moi was not (RIP). Anyway, it's doing great even though I cuss at it everytime I walk by it. :LOL:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I think it could grow but it would be hit and miss. Kava doesn't like frost and we can get frosty nights in the winter.
A lot of the soil is hard and rocky and can have salt in it. I meant to buy one this year to see how far I could take it.
I was able to grow a mango tree from seed for several years and then one winter we had several overnight freezes in a row...it killed 95% of the tree, but luckily new sprouts started popping out of the trunk. It's still alive, but now its more of a mango bush. I've lost all other mango tree attempts to winter and/or disease. :T
I have a friend in Northern California (SF Bay Area) who actually managed to grow a mango tree there for 3 years. He says it has grape-sized fruit as of June. But he is kind of a horticortural savant/genius..I don't think it would be possible for someone without his green thumb
mango_tree_small.jpg

D

Deleted User01

@verticity and everyone else with cold in-tolerant plants. Mulch the hell out of the plant. I already told my wife that we are going to mulch with spent (nitrogen spent) grass clippings. I also told her (this morning) that we are never going to throw grass clipping away again. I will compost them as I do now or use them for Mulch. I also have plastic sheets which I throw on hoops to make a makeshift greenhouse for the garden so we can have late tomatoes and I have scheme for the Elephant ears as well (but I gotta get motivated). And last by not least, I have 2 small Greenhouses and one larger one. Even then, the Mo'i Mo'i still died. Wussy!
@verticity, I'll bet your friend collects lots of cool stuff and is super proud of it and he will use every trick in the book to keep them alive. One more trick, water the plants BEFORE the freeze.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
How do they harvest kava. Since they take the roots and they have to grow for so many years, do they just take a section of the root and the root grows back? I guess they would have to as if you have to go five years and completely harvest the plant it would be pretty pricey. Do they grow in like root clusters?

D

Deleted User01

They can harvest the whole plant. Take the roots for our enjoyment. Then take cuttings from the rest of the plant and re-plant them. That's how Kava is grown, from cuttings. So you could get a metric buttload of kava babies from one plant. Let's see if @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava has more to add. Like to you take cuttings from harvested plants or from special Mother Plants?

D

Deleted User01

Thank you Mr. Know It All! :D I mean, so that's the difference. I can't wait to go check the leaves of my faux Kava. However, if you buy your baby kava on EBay, I doubt they will even show you the right picture. I highly recommend calling them first and grilling them until they 'fess up one way or another. I've had nothing but rotten luck at EBay. I ordered 2 keyboards on 2 separate occasions and they send me broken crap. I even begged them to swear the keyboards were good but nooooooooooo, they still sent crap. I got my money back but lost the freight money.

D

Deleted User01

@verticity, what is "too much information"? Is it juicy stuff or just arcane and boring hum-drum. Or is it just mundane bric-a-brac.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
ALERT
Please don't download the copy of Origins that @Deleted User posted above because of... reasons... (I suspect it might brick your computer and give you the clap if you download it.)... but seriously, that pdf has "too much information" if you know what I mean
Please download this one instead.
That's just not right man, now I want to down load Deleted User's version... Both files are the same size, and isn't clapping a sign of enjoyment?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
@verticity, what is "too much information"? Is it juicy stuff or just arcane and boring hum-drum. Or is it just mundane bric-a-brac.
The document can be traced back to @Deleted User or whoever originally downloaded it from JSTOR.
I believe the research was government funded and published by a not-for-profit NGO (National Tropical Botanical Garden), but it isn't free of copyright. It's possible that one might be breaking the law if they got it from somewhere without paying for it. Ridiculous of course, but such is the way of things. Government-funded research should be public domain by default.

@verticity has removed this identifying information from his copy.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
You can see the difference between Piper auritum and Piper methysticum in this picture; the leaves of false kava (right) have a single central vein with smaller veins branching from it, where true kava (left) has multiple veins originating at the base of the leaf:

Attachments

D

Deleted User01

@verticity has a point. Especially since the Feds are watching him like a hawk. :LOL: Hey, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get ya. More than likely, that is proprietary info. Good thing my names not on it. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted User01

After all the hoopla, I finally downloaded the document. It's a lot of dry reading per the botany of kava. I'll save it for a rainy day. Hey @verticity, what's up with the 2 Rustic Stentorian Suitors? Did you like see them on stage while on vacation and become a big fan? What is Stentorian anyway? Do they all have Stents and just happy to be alive and singing???:rolleyes:

verticity

I'm interested in things
After all the hoopla, I finally downloaded the document. It's a lot of dry reading per the botany of kava. I'll save it for a rainy day. Hey @verticity, what's up with the 2 Rustic Stentorian Suitors? Did you like see them on stage while on vacation and become a big fan? What is Stentorian anyway? Do they all have Stents and just happy to be alive and singing???:rolleyes:
Um, someone, probably @HeadHodge, definitely HeadHodge was talking about Bolero (the piece of classical music). I googled it and found that, and said 'do you mean this Bolero yuk yuk'. But I found the Vietnamese video both silly and charming so I put it in my sig, for no good reason..

sten·to·ri·an
stenˈtôrēən
adjective
(of a person's voice) loud and powerful.

rus·tic
ˈrəstik
adjective
of or relating to the countryside; rural.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Um, someone, probably @HeadHodge, definitely HeadHodge was talking about Bolero (the piece of classical music). I googled it and found that, and said 'do you mean this Bolero yuk yuk'. But I found the Vietnamese video both silly and charming so I put it in my sig, for no good reason..

sten·to·ri·an
stenˈtôrēən
adjective
(of a person's voice) loud and powerful.

rus·tic
ˈrəstik
adjective
of or relating to the countryside; rural.
I can't remember if I posted the song or not but here it is again:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
[parsehtml]
<object class="fillDiv" style="max-width:100%;max-height:100%;width:100%;height:600px;" type="text/html" data="http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://kavaforums.com/forum/attachments/lebot_allertonia_origin_and_distribution-1-pdf.4024/&embedded=true"></object>

<script id="iobjectLoadPdf">
//function iobjectPdfLoaded(){
var wikiContent = document.querySelector(".wikiContent");
if(wikiContent) window.scrollTo(0, wikiContent.offsetTop); //Scroll to Top of Page
//}
</script>
[/parsehtml]