What's new

Powdered Kava Review Papa'Ele'ele

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Well, I hate to give a non-positive review, but I was quite disappointed with this kava. This root was so weak that I broke out my unopened bag of instant Honokane Iki, and had to make another batch. My meal for the night was a salad and I had eaten it at 9:00 PM Friday. I drank my kava at 2:00 AM Saturday, so 5 hours on a salad should be plenty of time to be sure my kava has maximum effects.

The taste was odd, not like many kava's I've consumed over the years. Taste was almost salty. It didn't numb my lips or mouth, so I knew something was off immediately when I drank it. It also was quite dark and after straining I could swish it around in the bowl and observed many black specks (honestly the appearance, or specks didn't deter me at all, since I've seen the gamut of appearances of different kavas)

Normally within about 15 minutes the kava kicks in to full effect. At 15 for me it as if I hadn't even consumed kava, so I thought to myself "Oh, well....maybe this one is a creeper". I then waited another half hour, and still had very very light effects. It felt as if I had maybe consumed 1/8 of a bottle of kalm with kava. It was at this point that I gave up on it completely and dug into my small bag of instant from GHK.

Again, I hate giving bad reviews of any vendor's product, but this one just didn't cut it for me. I love Chris's Boroguru, but I'm slowly starting to realize that I just favor Vanuatu kavas more so than Hawaiian kavas. There's something about the 1-2 punch that a Vanuatu root gives me that Hawaiian just doesn't. This is a personal preference, because I know many people prefer a lighter kava. I prefer my kava's strong.

I do, however, always leave room for a kava to wow me, so if there's another Hawaiian strain that anyone suggests I'd be more than happy to purchase and try it.

Last edited by a moderator:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Bummahz, do you have enough left to try it again at your usual kava time ? Did you only drink one shell or chug the whole batch ? How many Tbsp are equivalent to 55g ...sorry, just curious. If all else fails, you could always boil it up with some baking soda and make potent Kava Krack,....kidding of course. :dead:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Haha, yep. Kava Krack. If that ever becomes something produced I can go ahead and close this website down, lol.
I have half a lb of it. 55 grams is about 7-8 tablespoons. I chugged all of resulting brew at once....it's my standard procedure...as is tradition

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
definitely surprising that it didn't hit you then...I'd be interested to see if a few more tries changes things at all. and maybe go up to 10-12 tbsp too.
just make sure to have some stone-o-guru on hand, just in case. :woot:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Me too, Shakas. Usually 55 grams of even decent kava is enough to cause a full case of CouchLock. If I have to go over the 55g number I don't buy it. Honestly I think I've been fet up with weak kavas lately. I appreciate the fact that they don't linger into the next day, but sometimes.....I just want that. Sometimes I want to use one eye to guide myself into the bed like a blanket seeking missile. I should buy a bag of stone just to scratch that itch.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
I feel ya, I definitely stick to my heavy most of the time...when it gets too disgusting after a while I end up buying something lighter...but once I start drinking that, the empty hole of heaviness becomes very apparant and I look forward to getting my usual stuff. On the occasions that both bags are in my possession at the same time, I probably have the best all-around experience....from mixing 'em.

blindy107

Kava Lover
That is too bad to hear kapm. Have you had success with the other strains from GHK? I just got the Mahakea and it knocks my socks off completely if you haven't tried that yet. Both physically and mentally debilitating for me.

D

Deleted User01

If you won't to be put down hard, I recommend the new Nene. I'm testing again tonite to make sure my experience last night was not an anomaly. The New Nene is a Tranquilizer like no other. That's the only thing it does and it does it well. More to come, I'm testing it again tonite.

NZdude

Kava Curious
Goes to show that different people react to different Kava's, and finding one's that work right for us is half the fun :) I have read on here some people think the Papa Ele Ele is the best. Personally I loved the micronized Papa Ele Ele, but prefered the Papa Kea.

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Chris sent me a sample of medium grind Nene. So the goose bites?
Kapm, that goose totally tranquiilzed me. It worked even better that the double barrel tranquilizer gun my wife uses on me when I run amok. In 30 minutes, I'm doing a nitecap of it and review it again. You never know when a Kava effects you because of some external factor that you were not aware of. And after your Review of Papa Ele Ele and knowing how I feel about Boroguru, well you never know how a Kava will sit with someone. I think you will like the Nene because it is NOT a Kavain Kava, it is closer to what you are used to. T minus 22 minutes and counting ....

D

Deleted User01

All together now. I want to hear a collective snore in about 60 minutes .... and counting.

D

Deleted User01

And he's out of the gate early, and its Deleted User01 on the inside lane. Good night guys. I need to go lay on the couch and listen to my favorite doobie brothers song, Listen to the Kava.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@Kapmcrunk I am sorry that you did not like the Papa Ele Ele, I have never heard of any kava being salty. I think you might be broken :LOL:
Take 2 cups of Borogugu and you will be just fine. :)
But this is another example of how kava will react with different people and how different people will like different effects, and in essence different kavalactones. (y)
I will take the rest back and send you some other kava if you want. Just let me k now. I want my customers to be happy and I go the extra mile to do that, others here can attest to that. Aloha nui loa.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Kapm, I was just thinking, what's a guy like you doing drinking a high kavain Kava. (What's a guy like you doing in an neighborhood like this?). :D That would be like me horsing down a bunch of Boroguru in the middle of the afternoon and hating it. If you got the new Nene, check it out and tell me what you think about it from a sleep perspective. We all look for different things in our Kava. At night, I only care about sleep. Muscle melt, anxiety, stretch armstrong, etc. I don't care 'bout that. I remember when Shakas reviewed Solomons and he said, "nada" and everyone went, "What????". :eek: It happens. Keep me posted on the Nene because I want to know how your and the other members feel about it.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Kapmcrunk I am sorry that you did not like the Papa Ele Ele, I have never heard of any kava being salty. I think you might be broken :LOL:
Take 2 cups of Borogugu and you will be just fine. :)
But this is another example of how kava will react with different people and how different people will like different effects, and in essence different kavalactones. (y)
I will take the rest back and send you some other kava if you want. Just let me k now. I want my customers to be happy and I go the extra mile to do that, others here can attest to that. Aloha nui loa.

Chris
Chris, if I had paid for this kava I'd send it back, but you sent it to me at no charge, I can't in good conscious send back a kava that I didn't pay for, especially if it's opened! :D
I've got quite the array of GHK kava to try, and believe me I don't plan on giving up on them. Your customer is happy, this I assure you.