What's new

Permakrunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I have a very specific usage in mind when I say permakrunk I thought it might be useful to clarify, especially if we can do it together with the unimind.

I don't use it to mean a constant or permanent state of krunkness, which for many obvious reasons would not be a desirable thing, not at all.

What I'm trying to express with it is more something like: that state of being under the influence of kava which carries over all the time throughout your day both awake and asleep that is not tied to some grog you have recently drunk and which will stay with you for many hours, days or weeks even if you stop drinking kava. It is for me a state of being as well as a way of reacting and perceiving the world. The analogy, of course, is to permafrost.

I find myself often very grateful for it. For me it's a good thing. In fact, it's a lot more important than being krunk, a short term intoxication of sorts, not that there's anything wrong with that, either, but krunk is not really a way of life, whereas permakrunk can be.

One of the weirdest things about it for me is the constant state of mental clarity, I was more familiar with varying states of mental clarity, not constant mental clairty. That and a much greater equanimity. Makes it easier to face things, whatever things one has to face or which arise, for me, anyway.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I can relate, I equate what you refer to permakrunk, as a positive side effect of constant or regular consumption of kava, that always relaxed vibe I have and an overall sense of well being. I've been drinking kava for going on over 2.5 years and I find the mental clarity and overall sense of self, to get better and better with time.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I can relate, I equate what you refer to permakrunk, as a positive side effect of constant or regular consumption of kava, that always relaxed vibe I have and an overall sense of well being. I've been drinking kava for going on over 2.5 years and I find the mental clarity and overall sense of self, to get better and better with time.
I also find it carries over with painkilling, and with good sleep and good dreams and a more generally relaxed set of muscles which is good for sport and exercise and general all around fun. Also the music effects are not as pronounced as after a triple ball maybe, but music is different with a permakrunk.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Also the music effects are not as pronounced as after a triple ball maybe, but music is different with a permakrunk.
I appreciate quiet moments much more and I feel it enhances music when I am in the mood, win/win. I haven't given it much thought with the pain killing aspect but I know it's a big part. I like headier stuff anyways, though Nangol Noble took me to a special place on the sedative realm.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I appreciate quiet moments much more and I feel it enhances music when I am in the mood, win/win. I haven't given it much thought with the pain killing aspect but I know it's a big part. I like headier stuff anyways, though Nangol Noble took me to a special place on the sedative realm.
what I have found is that when something is going to be painful I say to myself "gosh, I sure wish I had some kava to drink for this" but then the permakrunk says "relax, I got this covered" and it does. Of course, later on, a bit of good strong heavy kava is nice, too.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
Music is different in the perma-krunk, it's like slightly less sharp but more groovy? I don't know how to completely describe it but for some reason I like a lot of techno now and feel a raging need to find more lengthy traditional drum music. I also still like a lot of rock with my kava. It's more about the complex textures of rock and metal though, they feel good.

I hadn't had any kava today, I was gonna have my pouni uno that just came in later but I had to go to work suddenly and I wasn't turning down more money. I was mildly uncomfortable today and could use it. Got a couple bug bites yesterday (cause when sudden warm weather comes they all seem to come to life, they're all hungry, and you're the buffet they all been waiting for) still stinging a bit. Any kava for me tends to take care of stuff like that real quick. With kava in the permakrunk state my pain tolerance is higher, the only thing my body still can't do well is handle cold temperatures. Actually everything is easier, you look can look at any issue and say "ok here's what we're gonna do", you don't have the urge to panic and try to actually solve the problem or have the patience to work through it if it isn't something you can do anything about right then and there. Sort of like it has it's own ancient wisdom at work that does well in soothing the ridiculous tidal wave of farthest from natural modern problems we need to deal with. That doom and gloom, negative mentality or helpless hysteria and knee jerk problem reactions to anything that pops up show themselves as the spiritually immature states they are. We gotta be better than that.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Music is different in the perma-krunk, it's like slightly less sharp but more groovy? I don't know how to completely describe it but for some reason I like a lot of techno now and feel a raging need to find more lengthy traditional drum music. I also still like a lot of rock with my kava. It's more about the complex textures of rock and metal though, they feel good.

I hadn't had any kava today, I was gonna have my pouni uno that just came in later but I had to go to work suddenly and I wasn't turning down more money. I was mildly uncomfortable today and could use it. Got a couple bug bites yesterday (cause when sudden warm weather comes they all seem to come to life, they're all hungry, and you're the buffet they all been waiting for) still stinging a bit. Any kava for me tends to take care of stuff like that real quick. With kava in the permakrunk state my pain tolerance is higher, the only thing my body still can't do well is handle cold temperatures. Actually everything is easier, you look can look at any issue and say "ok here's what we're gonna do", you don't have the urge to panic and try to actually solve the problem or have the patience to work through it if it isn't something you can do anything about right then and there. Sort of like it has it's own ancient wisdom at work that does well in soothing the ridiculous tidal wave of farthest from natural modern problems we need to deal with. That doom and gloom, negative mentality or helpless hysteria and knee jerk problem reactions to anything that pops up show themselves as the spiritually immature states they are. We gotta be better than that.
yes, I have also experienced every single thing you mention there and I believe those to be features of the permakrunk. Not sure it's the best word, but it is a thing, and we need a word for it.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Nice concept, @Krunkie McKrunkface . I'm not sure though if I ever experienced the effects of "permakrunk" so far. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
I don't think there is a wrong or right here per se. I think how it works is your body reaches a sort of permanent baseline of kavalactones in your system and then they stay in your system for a long time, just working away. Of course, regular maintenance keeps them there.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I’ve been drinking daily since around April or May last year...it has changed my approach to a lot of things.

Lately my mantra is “I’m on islander time.” Meaning I’m still productive, but I don’t stress about things like I used to. I’ve intentionally remived myself from the rat race. There is no race at all now.
Ahhh, yes island time. Reminds me of one of my first trips to the Caribbean. We took the typical big US airline to to a semi-major airport and then had to take puddle jumpers to get to our final destination. As is typical with air travel we were delayed and late. Add to that our typical American attitude of rush, rush, rush and we were in full on panic mode trying to make connections. This is when the guy helping us with the luggage turned to us and said "relax man you in the islands now...no worries". I took his advice, had a good laugh, and few rum runners later I didn't care if we made it to our next destination!

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
This definitely sounds interesting for me. It could quite possibly be an antidepressant quality of Kava. Antidepressants normally take a good period of time before working, and Kava does have calcium channel blocking, and norepinephrine reuptake inhibiting, effects that could make it very efficiently anti-depressant/anti-anxiety. Course, these antidepressant effects wouldn't be noticeable immediately; they would be noticeable only after 2-6 weeks. This could be the reason for this permakrunk effect.

Plus, Kava does all this without the side effects and withdrawal of conventional antidepressants. That's a huge plus.

Also, the thing that sets this permakrunk effect apart from the "normal Krunk" you get, after drinking some Kava, is that the long term, antidepressant effects are the result of remodeling, in the brain, that makes your amygdala less reactive to emotional stimuli like fear, anger, and sadness etc. I'm sure it's not just the amygdala but you get the picture. Basically, Kava has acutely positive effects, but these effects also beget more positive effects. I dare say Kava might be very unique in this aspect.

I can also see why Kava might be an effective nootropic in some ways, since one of the cardinal rules of objectivity is not letting yourself be ruled by your own emotions.

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
This definitely sounds interesting for me. It could quite possibly be an antidepressant quality of Kava. Antidepressants normally take a good period of time before working, and Kava does have calcium channel blocking, and norepinephrine reuptake inhibiting, effects that could make it very efficiently anti-depressant/anti-anxiety. Course, these antidepressant effects wouldn't be noticeable immediately; they would be noticeable only after 2-6 weeks. This could be the reason for this permakrunk effect.

Plus, Kava does all this without the side effects and withdrawal of conventional antidepressants. That's a huge plus.

Also, the thing that sets this permakrunk effect apart from the "normal Krunk" you get, after drinking some Kava, is that the long term, antidepressant effects are the result of remodeling, in the brain, that makes your amygdala less reactive to emotional stimuli like fear, anger, and sadness etc. I'm sure it's not just the amygdala but you get the picture. Basically, Kava has acutely positive effects, but these effects also beget more positive effects. I dare say Kava might be very unique in this aspect.

I can also see why Kava might be an effective nootropic in some ways, since one of the cardinal rules of objectivity is not letting yourself be ruled by your own emotions.
yes, the good stuff snowballs, gets better and better, so much the exact opposite of so much else in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.