What's new

Pictures of Makas in Kava

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Here are some pictures that will show you the makas that I take out and the rest of the stuff that I keep in the kava.---
This picture is of the kava pounded and pulped with the makas and all.---

This next picture shows me holding up the makas in my hand---

This picture shows just the good stuff with the makas separate on the bottom of the picture, these makas I will make into compost, the rest is what I dry up and grind into a micronized powder.---

Let me know if you have any questions about makas and kava. Aloha.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
You really put "you get what you pay for" in a new perspective with your maka photo-book .::amirite:: Thanks for the pics, I've been enjoying your micro all weekend along with a Sunday dose of 5tblsp of med grind fijian and 6tblsp of the med grindHawaiian blend. Both the blend and the fijian strain are wonderful; especially as a combo they really balance each other out.::awesomesmiles::

In one of my posts per the last newsletter thread I was supposed to reveal that my review of Hanakapi ai was coming soon but the 1-2 punch of those kavas yesterday whilst I was at the park with my family threw that plan out the window. :LOL:;) These med grind kavas are specifically for the weekends so I guess they're my "private reserve". :D

I hope everyone had a relaxing labor day...I know I did. :happy:::happyshell::

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
You really put "you get what you pay for" in a new perspective with your maka photo-book .::amirite:: Thanks for the pics, I've been enjoying your micro all weekend along with a Sunday dose of 5tblsp of med grind fijian and 6tblsp of the med grindHawaiian blend. Both the blend and the fijian strain are wonderful; especially as a combo they really balance each other out.::awesomesmiles::

In one of my posts per the last newsletter thread I was supposed to reveal that my review of Hanakapi ai was coming soon but the 1-2 punch of those kavas yesterday whilst I was at the park with my family threw that plan out the window. :LOL:;) These med grind kavas are specifically for the weekends so I guess they're my "private reserve". :D

I hope everyone had a relaxing labor day...I know I did. :happy:::happyshell::
That's a nice post, but I believe the only thing that is makas free is chris's micro, not the medium grinds. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :) ::happyshell::

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
That's right Hodge. Basically, every other kava on the market still has it's makas, except Chris' micronized.
Other one's like Nambawan, WOW and the 11 yr micro, might* have them removed...but we've got no eyes on the farm, to verify. ::kavaleaf::

Roaddog

Kava Who?
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava , I assume you are also in the process of making a traditional Kava Bowl. I was wondering, what Kind of wood are you using? I'm pretty surgical with a chainsaw. I have made a few art projects, using one. I think I could make a rough bowl, that would need a lot of finish work. I find your partly finished Bowl to be very interesting. Much love. Roaddog....

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava , I assume you are also in the process of making a traditional Kava Bowl. I was wondering, what Kind of wood are you using? I'm pretty surgical with a chainsaw. I have made a few art projects, using one. I think I could make a rough bowl, that would need a lot of finish work. I find your partly finished Bowl to be very interesting. Much love. Roaddog....
The rough bowls you see are what I call rough cuts. They are made from Hawaiian Koa and I have to turn the bowl to about 3/4-1 inch thick. I turn the bowl wet and leave it thick so it can dry, then when it is dry after 1 year I finish cut the bowl and then sand it and what not. My final thickness is about 1/4 inch or less. I like turning bowls better than harvesting trees and milling them up. :D
The only way I am surgical with a chainsaw is when I am cutting down the trees, I don't know how to carve with a chainsaw.
The wood I will be using is Monkey Pod because Koa will change the taste of the kava due to the tannic acid in the wood. Milo is also a good choice for making bowls to eat or drink out of. Aloha.

Chris

Roaddog

Kava Who?
The rough bowls you see are what I call rough cuts. They are made from Hawaiian Koa and I have to turn the bowl to about 3/4-1 inch thick. I turn the bowl wet and leave it thick so it can dry, then when it is dry after 1 year I finish cut the bowl and then sand it and what not. My final thickness is about 1/4 inch or less. I like turning bowls better than harvesting trees and milling them up. :D
The only way I am surgical with a chainsaw is when I am cutting down the trees, I don't know how to carve with a chainsaw.
The wood I will be using is Monkey Pod because Koa will change the taste of the kava due to the tannic acid in the wood. Milo is also a good choice for making bowls to eat or drink out of. Aloha.

Chris
Well Chris, I assume by turning, you mean like a lath? Very interesting. I may try to make a bowl, a little bit untraditional. I was thinking using white oak. Which is an extremely hard wood. I don't know how hard Hawaiian Koa is? But the hard woods I have access too is Oaks, Hickory, and Ash. I guess I'm pretty good with a chainsaw, because My parents own a large tree nursery. Also the have a huge garden too. Also we did tree trimming, and removal in the summers. I am curious, about your wet, and dry process. Like I said, I wanted to use Oak, because it is hard, and least likely to crack. Cracking would be my greatest fear. I would hate to get everything most of the way done, and it finish drying, and crack. Oak is so hard, it dose not crack easily. Same with Ash. That's what they make baseball bats out of. Now Oak is heavy, ash is light. But It would be difficult to find that large of an ash tree. But we have Oaks the size of car hoods around here. Some of them are over 200 years. Around here they will get old, and turn Hollow, and fall. I big 200 year old Oak hitting the ground, makes a hell of a bang. Much Love. Roaddog....

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
That's a nice post, but I believe the only thing that is makas free is chris's micro, not the medium grinds. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :) ::happyshell::
Correct me if I'm wrong (see what I did there :p:LOL:) but I didn't state in that post that med grind kava contains makas. I separated the part where I was talking about the Hanakapi ai but forgot to reference it as a med grind so I can see where the confusion might arise. Regardless, I'll review the hanakapi ai at some point but I've yet to get around to it. (y)
Edit- Oh and yes, as shakas said, Chris's micro kava is the only kava with the makas removed. I must add (because why not?;)) that I just can't seem to get enough of the micro mahakea since it arrived at my door step.:happy:

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Correct me if I'm wrong (see what I did there :p:LOL:) but I didn't state in that post that med grind kava contains makas. I separated the part where I was talking about the Hanakapi ai but forgot to reference it as a med grind so I can see where the confusion might arise. Regardless, I'll review the hanakapi ai at some point but I've yet to get around to it. (y)
Edit- Oh and yes, as shakas said, Chris's micro kava is the only kava with the makas removed. I must add (because why not?;)) that I just can't seem to get enough of the micro mahakea since it arrived at my door step.:happy:
Too funny, I just ordered the micro Makakea tonight like 20 minutes ago. So you say it rocks huh? 19% Kavalactone , that should be nice and strong. Cant wait to try it. Im thinking some new recipes are in the future. Maybe a new out of this world drink for my new little friend.:alien: Much love. Roaddog....