What's new

Pictures of some Hawaiian 'Awa (Kava)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Since I do grow every Hawaiian Variety of kava known to us right now (I still wish I could find the famed "Mokihana 'Awa, but we have not been able to, we just know it used to exist from reading Hawaiian history)
Anyway, Vetka asked to see a picture of the Honokane Iki so I will post that and some others too, that way you can see what a nice looking plant that the 'Awa can be.
This one is the Honokane Iki 'Awa---

This one is called "Opihikao" or Spotted Hiwa---

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Now I need to figure out how to post pictures on this forum. I think I need some kava to help figure this out. :D well it looks like the kava did the trick, I figured it out, now I will post some more pictures.
Aloha

Chris

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Here is a picture of 'Awa Hiwa---

This one is another one of the Honokane Iki 'Awa

The next picture is of 'Awa Nene

This next one is my favorite, it is called Hanakapi 'ai

I will try to post some more pictures later on, I hope you enjoy them, aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Hey chris, can you just take a lower stem of that and chew on it like sugar cane? Talk about fresh Kava.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hey Deleted User01, yes you can and I have done that in the past to see the potency, you can tell by not only the numbing effect but the yellow color of the root. Sometimes if it is a real strong 'Awa then you will actually feel the Kavain in your head a bit, but only a bit not very much.
I will try to go and cut one and take some pictures and post them, that way you can see what color it is and all that. Aloha.

Chris

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Here are a few pictures that show the kava plant with the stalks, the corm and the lateral roots.
This picture shows the kava plant with the stalks at the top and then the corm and then the lateral roots---

This picture is a bit closer and you can see the corm better and then the lateral roots, I cut the stalk right above the corm and everything below that is what we use for the kava.----

This is what the actual lateral root looks like, notice the star pattern, the part that creates the star is a hard fiber, the soft starch full of kavalactones are there , in between the parts of the star, also notice the yellow color indicating the high kavalactone content, the more yellow the better, if it is whitish then it is not as strong.---

I hope that you guys like the pictures, aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Chris when do you think your Awa will be ready for sale? Do you have a date (more or less).

Status
Not open for further replies.