What's new

Please Jonathan Yee, Hear Our Plea...

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
Bring back  the M'oi, the Hiwa Black and Spotted, the Papa 'Ele 'Ele and the Apu and the Nene the Hanakapi'ai and Honokaneiki, the Kumakua, Mokihana, and Ke'o Keo, all these noble Cultivars we'd love to See, Oh once again Noble Jonathan Yee...
the Mahakea is a Noble sort, and Hawaiian grown Iwa still makes us sway and snort, but I am sorry to report that these are simply not enogh for us, we want the return of the really good stuff! (smiley: eek)  (smiley: laugh)

In all seriousness I am really really disappointed that Hawaiian Kava Center has been out of all these cultivars for so long and yet have put that nasty alcohol infused inhaler junk on their site. I have nothing against kava from Vanuatu, but all we can find out there are endless versions of Boruga and dwindling supplies of Tongan, Fijian, Samoan etc.
What is happening with Hawaiian 'Awa, simply the finest kava available anywhere in my humble opinion?! What is happening with Kava in general everywhere? The poetics are silly but the point is serious. I am worried, what is happening with our ROOTS? (smiley: frown)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Honestly I've never fallen over because of kava before, except for ONE time. HKC's Hiwa. I had to play that one off like I put my arm on the wrong place on the bed and got a foot caught in my shorts or something. Quite embarrassing. Yep, Hiwa was the one. So strong I couldn't look directly at something with both eyes. I had to keep one closed.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
One time, Nakamal@Home Tongan kava made me fall over and crash into a wall corner. I quick drank some more to prevent bruising.

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Met with Jonathan at the Kava Festival few weeks ago and also a few months ago when he was just homeward bound from Overseas with his dad. His father is going thru a medical process I cannot discuss without permission from Jonathan.

Needless to say, he's a top notch fellow but family comes first.

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
A Top Notch Fellow with the most Top Notch 'Awa I have ever experienced. I hope his family is well and that someday...

well you read the lil ditty! (smiley: laugh)

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
I peek in on Hawaiiankava.com to see if maybe Jonathan Yee has gotten any M'oi or NeNe etc., back in stock. Today I was horrified to see a.) No more Mahakea being offered, only Isa (I am an Isalover & even I think there is way too much of this out there on the market), and b.) he's got a 3, 1 hour break deal for $19.95 AND a 12 bottle, 1 hour break offer for $53.95. Jonathan was kind enough when I ordered my last pound of Mahakea to send me a sample of this stuff and though I don't like looking a gift horse in the mouth I've got to say that this stuff is vile, and violates every good kava principal I know of. It uses alcohol extracts, it's mixed with other herb extracts like valerian root that muddy up the already muddled effects of alcohol extracted kava, it tastes  awful and the way it's marketed and sold is just asking for somebody to hurt themselves with this junk. I am appalled and sad because Hawaiian Kava Center has always been the BEST source for the highest quality Hawaiian kava AND information about kava in general.(smiley: frown)

August West

Kava Enthusiast
Is alcohol extracted kava the same as naturally extracted kava that is suspended in alcohol? I don't know anything about the product, but if it were kava extract that's suspended in alcohol, I don't see much harm in that. Plus I've read of people that make their grog with several types of teas, including herbal tea, or drink/chase kava with tea. I mean, that product doesn't sound like anything i'd spent money on, but to each his own.

Idgie

Kava Enthusiast
omg, I am depressed too - I JUST discovered their mahakea, like a month ago, and went to order more, and its GONE.

Does this happen often?  Does HCK often run out but if I check back it will be in stock later?

sigh.  I'm SO sad.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Generally yes, that's mostly the case for HKC. I think it's time for Jonathan Yee to make a comeback. His Hiwa would pin you to the floor. I miss his Hiwa.

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
I really feel bad about even posting this because Jonathan wrote me at one point when I asked him about it and basically said 'yeah it kind of of sucks but one's got to pay the bills'Here's sending nothing but good vibes out to JY & HKC (vibe vibe vibe vibe) (smiley: eek)

odys1i

Kava Enthusiast
Micronized root mixes almost too easily, a few squeezes & you can feel the awa infusing with the water. 100% excellent for wash & toss, as a matter of fact too excellent. I don't like that technique except for the occasional tbsp when I'm in a hurry.

Idgie

Kava Enthusiast
I had the coarser grind before, this micronized stuff is WAY easy to strain.   Ha not sure if its 'too' easy or not, I have lingering issues from tendonitis so I like it being so easy to use...

D

Deleted User01

Is Hawaiian Kava Center still selling Kava Powder?  I didn't see any powder on their Web Site.  If not, does anyone have a inexpensive supplier for Hawaiian Awa?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hold up.... What is espresso Mahakea? You can push kava through an espresso maker? Mind blown.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Just spoke with Jonathan he says about a year because they're looking for new ground to plant. Also fresh frozen may be on the table. I just had to call and double check that my eyes weren't deceiving me when I read that he was getting viable kava from an espresso machine. Very interesting to say the least.

D

Deleted User01

Jonathan sent me an email assuring me that he would  have powder by the end of the month.  So we'll see how that plays out.