What's new

Post your kava pictures.

D

Deleted User01

Nemo, your post was awesome and educational.   Is that what you did on your summer vacation?

Bmiller, that is quite a stash.  Thanks for posting.

Deleted User01 said:
Nemo, your post was awesome and educational.   Is that what you did on your summer vacation?

Bmiller, that is quite a stash.  Thanks for posting. 
Were all in the southern hemisphere down here Deleted User01 so our summer is at xmas. Vanuatu is only a bit over a 2 hour flight for me so a few times a year i just think 'i need fresh kava' ..so i book a flight & go. Very nice temps this time of year here now being the south pacific.

D

Deleted User01

Nemo, what can you tell us about the potency of the Kava at the Nakamals versus the powder that we buy here in the states?

Deleted User01 to me its very different. Before it was banned in australia several years ago i used to drink fiji powdered kava (waka) which i assume is what you have in the US. Fresh kava a thinner more sappy drink and far far stronger, it can vary day to day, nakamal to nakamal in strength & taste. From what im told this is down to variety & preparation. Some remove the skin from the root & some don't, i prefere it without. You will never look at powdered the same again once you have had fresh. Powdered kava can make me ill the next day yet fresh just does not do it to me.

kl.sakamoto

Kava Curious
nemo, killer pics.

"Where do you get your hair cut?"

"Down at the nakamal, while waiting for the kava to arrive."

WINNING!!!

D

Deleted User01

Thanks again for the pictures of the Nakamal and the reality check. I gotta admit, I wonder about the Hygiene in those Nakamals.  And I wonder about the Hygiene in the preparation of my precious Kava Powder.   But I'm going to coin a phrase here, "Kava is not for Sissies".

Deleted User01 said:
Thanks again for the pictures of the Nakamal and the reality check. I gotta admit, I wonder about the Hygiene in those Nakamals.  And I wonder about the Hygiene in the preparation of my precious Kava Powder.   But I'm going to coin a phrase here, "Kava is not for Sissies".

Theres probably a few hundred nakamals in Port Vila...most are simply tin sheds. I just turn a blind eye to everything, you have to. That said ive worked in 5 star restaurants in maint & seen much worse. Like you say, if your a bit delicate then they are not for you. Just join in & listen to the kava. Tourists ask me why i would even think of sitting in these dark nakamals at night not realising that the kava they were tasting in their flash hotel as a demonstration comes from the exact same nakamals. Outside of the once on Tanna where i drank spring water, ive never once been crook from any nakamal in vila. Their tap water is perfect, as good or better than 1st world country.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Thanks for the message nemo, I appreciate it.

Do you do anything else during the day over there or is it pretty much kava time all the time? (not that there's anything wrong with that)

kavadude said:
Thanks for the message nemo, I appreciate it.

Do you do anything else during the day over there or is it pretty much kava time all the time? (not that there's anything wrong with that)
Not really that much to do although its built up like there is. You can visit the water fall or blue swimming hole or hire a scooter/car but really its just sleepy sort of pacific island town. If you go to the volcano on tanna its one of the best sights ive seen however thats maybe $400 extra airfare on an island plane (aussie & kiwi pilots) You really need to stay overnight to see it erupting in the dark. Most nakamals in vila open around 4pm with one or 2 opening at 2-3. Really i just sleep & do nothing until then.

kl.pjim

Kava Curious
Fascinating! Every time I've been outside the U.S. it has blown my mind...different cultures and different ways of thinking and living. we're rich and spoiled and most of us don't even know it. Thanks for the pics. They are humbling.

infraredz

BULA!
Kapmcrunk said:
Just a quick FYI, Isopropyl alcohol will quickly clean up any resins still clinging to prep materials like spoons, pans or bowls.
So is this a good way to get all that yellow resin out of a blender (it's got a small bit of rubber at the bottom near the blades)?

How do you 'extract' it and make sure there's no solvent left?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Isopropyl evaporates pretty fast at room temp. The higher the percentage the better. Just leave it out to dry and the isopropyl will evaporate.