What's new

PR for kava

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Now that there are those negative article regarding kava.

How about we did wrote article we could have publiced by the media?
The problem would be: how to get heard.
Some of these "negative articles"
are in relatively major publications. We know that the World Health
Organization and the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations
and the University of Minnesota, and the University of California, Irvine and the
University of Florida and the State of Michigan and Oregon all say kava is safe.
I could go on and on with substantiation....But all it takes is a well-read
or listened to media to bring back falsehood, ignorance* is a better word.
* Ignorance is a lack of knowledge and understanding
As a reminder - in the 1990's an extremely positive story appeared in The
Wall Street Journal regarding kava, that set off enormous popularity.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I have a theory and I don't know if it is true but it could be something that may have gone overlooked as to why kava keeps getting these negative articles.

The FDA works with this company called Legit Scripts (LegitScript is a Portland, Oregon-based internet and payments compliance company that provides services for merchant monitoring, platform monitoring, and certification in high-risk industries. The company also performs investigative analyses for government agencies around the world regarding cybercrime, and offers brand monitoring for intellectual property infringement. Some of LegitScript's partners include Google, Facebook, Amazon, Bing, and Visa. LegitScript also works with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to monitor and investigate websites marketing FDA-regulated products).

I believe companies like washingtonpost, webMD, etc.. need to have content that is suitable for advertisers. In order to achieve this the MIGHT be consulting this third party organization (legitscript) to see what products are on a list of things they can advertise and things they cannot. I think kava may be in there list of things that is in a high risk or something of that sort.

This is all a theory I have no idea if this is true, but the advertisers do want to put ads on with companies where the products being advertised do not have any negative association to them. Obviously kava should not be in such a list, but it does seem that legit scripts puts kava in that type of non-advertisers friendly product.

@Alia or any kava vendor who may have experience working with legit scripts, any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
This is fascinating, I had not heard of LegitScript.
I do know for certain that FDA monitors comments etc. on kava social media.
Also--
For those interested, here is a small portion of the 1998 Wall Street Journal story I referred to.
"Somewhere", in a box, I have the whole story:
Kava Hopes It's Set to Become The Next Big Herbal Blockbuster

By Andrea PetersenStaff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal
Feb. 26, 1998 12:01 am ET

PRINT
TEXT

Chris Kilham was working in a Brookline, Mass., natural-food store in 1980 when he first tasted an herbal remedy called kava. It came from the root and stem of an obscure South Pacific plant. "A sensuous wave of muscular relaxation washed slowly throughout my entire body," he later wrote, "like India ink spreading on white paper."
Today, thanks to behind-the-scenes promoting by Mr. Kilham and a cadre of other devotees, kava is poised to become the next blockbuster herbal remedy. For the millions who bought ginkgo biloba to sharpen their memory and St. John's wort to treat depression, kava is being pitched as a natural way to heal another big modern woe: anxiety.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This is fascinating, I had not heard of LegitScript.
I do know for certain that FDA monitors comments etc. on kava social media.
Also--
For those interested, here is a small portion of the 1998 Wall Street Journal story I referred to.
"Somewhere", in a box, I have the whole story:
Kava Hopes It's Set to Become The Next Big Herbal Blockbuster

By Andrea PetersenStaff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal
Feb. 26, 1998 12:01 am ET

PRINT
TEXT

Chris Kilham was working in a Brookline, Mass., natural-food store in 1980 when he first tasted an herbal remedy called kava. It came from the root and stem of an obscure South Pacific plant. "A sensuous wave of muscular relaxation washed slowly throughout my entire body," he later wrote, "like India ink spreading on white paper."
Today, thanks to behind-the-scenes promoting by Mr. Kilham and a cadre of other devotees, kava is poised to become the next blockbuster herbal remedy. For the millions who bought ginkgo biloba to sharpen their memory and St. John's wort to treat depression, kava is being pitched as a natural way to heal another big modern woe: anxiety.