What's new

Prices and General Kava Questions from Beginner

kl.c double

Kava Curious
I am brand new to the world of Kava, very interested, I hope that it may assist me with withdrawal from benzodiazepines. The question I have relates to pricing- KavaByRex seems to be less than half the price of Paradise Kava... is the difference really that pronounced? I can't see paying over a hundred dollars for something I have never even tried.. Looking into 1 pound of Fiji Waka from Rex... how long will a pound usually last a single drinker, assuming a regular dose once per day?

kl.el187joker

Kava Enthusiast
i have not tried either one of those vendors... however i have heard good things about both of them. In my own experience (about three months of pretty much daily use) i can say this, if funds are an issue you might be better off building your tolerance off of the cheaper one first so that you can really appreciate the high end kava when you start getting your krunk on. this is my opinion. well looking forward to seeing how this goes for you. now for another cup of my chiefs. best of luck and my this magical root be everything your looking for.

kl.c double

Kava Curious
it's interesting that most of the kava drinkers here recommend near-daily use, a big no-no with most substances. Are there no withdrawal effects from using kava? Also, I would be interested in a step by step instruction for brewing a batch... why do drinkers always use "shells?"

kl.el187joker

Kava Enthusiast
no there are no withdrawls from kava or at least any that i have suffered from. and the reason that most use a shells if first of all is because it is keeping the tradition. and with kava it is all about taking steps to make your experience better; taking time out to kick back and relax, manually kneading, it all adds to the experience. i actually dont have a shell yet. i use these little wooden bowls identical to a larger wooden bowl that i brew in i got them from jungle jims and international marketplace.

kl.el187joker

Kava Enthusiast
and yes daily use is a big no no with most all substances yet with in nearly becomes a necessity(i have used nearly all "mainstream" drugs in the past) . you will find that kava is unlike any other substance.

kl.pep4848

Kava Curious
Price-wise, i find KBR to be superior. I haven't been disappointed yet and pay half the price. A pound daily might last a week i'm guessing. I try not to use daily.
I've found my motivation levels down and my moods actually depressed when I use daily-weird hey. I thought Kava was supposed to help with Depression, but it seems to make it worse for me.

So i'm now doing it 2-3 times per week. I'll be ordering another couple pounds of Rex pretty soon as I find the value pretty good.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
We use shells because we use shells. Wine drinkers use wine glasses. It's Kastom (the Bislama word for "the traditional ways.")

Sent from my DROID4 using Yuku app

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Prince Philip said:
We use shells because we use shells. Wine drinkers use wine glasses. It's Kastom (the Bislama word for "the traditional ways.")

Sent from my DROID4 using Yuku app
well said, leader!

kl.c double

Kava Curious
Well I just blew my budget on 2 pounds of kava so this first time around it might have to be wooden bowls or glasses... I'm in Dallas so there's no natural shells nearby, though I'll probably wind up at a flea market or the like some time. First order of business though... get nylon panty hose before this stuff arrives (if i'm lucky late this week i think)

Thanks for the assistance. I think it would be awesome to open a kava bar/restaurant, might go over well with people here in dallas, but the authorities are really strict about substance use... this ain't Oregon..

krunkedout

Kava Lover
c double said:
Well I just blew my budget on 2 pounds of kava so this first time around it might have to be wooden bowls or glasses... I'm in Dallas so there's no natural shells nearby, though I'll probably wind up at a flea market or the like some time. First order of business though... get nylon panty hose before this stuff arrives (if i'm lucky late this week i think)

Thanks for the assistance. I think it would be awesome to open a kava bar/restaurant, might go over well with people here in dallas, but the authorities are really strict about substance use... this ain't Oregon..
bula kava house sells some nice big shells. Nakamal at home used to but I'm not sure if they do anymore.. I also sell handcarved shells on etsy.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
c double said:
According to Stephen King, Dallas is Dairy, and vice versa.

So, what's the difference between Dallas and Austin? I ask because Austin has a kava bar.

I am somewhat confused that there is a TV, per the above link.  I can't think of anything I'd rather not do on kava than watch someone else's TV show.

kl.c double

Kava Curious
Austin is generally more liberal and "artsy," there are more hippie types and the culinary scene there is a little more driven by young people.

Dallas is a little more traditional and conservative, and well known to have a fickle dining/nightlife scene. I can think of a couple of hookah bars here that failed in the last ten years, but kava is not a "hippie" thing... I think there are ways to frame kava as much more than just a hippie thing... that would be the challenge, make it seem like an island delicacy, and pair it with small dishes. Bringing food into the mix, possibly 30-60 minutes after the kava is consumed, would be the key.