What's new

ProBiotics & Kava - Question

Doobie Doo

How many shells to get to the center..1 2 3
<Slowly and humbly shuffles up on his hands and knees before the great Kava Forum oracles to inquire of their deep pool of wisdom...>

So, background: coming off a bout of taking antibiotics (cipiro) for an ear infection (and staying away from Kava). Developed some side effects (mainly some unmentionable issues with the #2). Have been finding that taking a Probiotic is mitigating, but now wondering what the interaction will be like with Kava. Would anyone have any experience or insight to provide here? Never gave much thought to the whole, live fauna in the gut, thing, but now wondering if Kava would affect the balance in any positive or negative way...

<slips away backwards, bowing as he goes, making sure to throw in a few extra prostrations before closing the door>

Roaddog

Kava Who?
No, I really have no insight, but as I often have wondered about probiotics, in relation to kava, I would like to see what others have to say. Much love. Roaddog...

violet

Do all things with love
Well, I would say if you are someone whose bowels run loose at the thought of putting down a few shells, you might want to take it easy. This is just from the standpoint of making sure you get your hydration and bacterial load back in balance, which is pretty hard to do if everything you consume is using your digestive system like it was the autobahn. But if you are feeling up to it, I don't see why not.

I would postulate that kava doesn't cause any major gut bug imbalance in healthy individuals; otherwise we'd probably be seeing a correlation between kava consumption and things like candida overgrowths in traditional populations. In fact I believe I have seen kava mentioned as something that helps treat candida overgrowths and yeast infections, so it possibly has little to no effect on gut flora, unless it is beneficial.

I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited:

Robert

Kava Curious
Also it may be interesting to note that kava brewed cold might be a source of resistant starch, a very popular prebiotic right now, look into it, it works wonders in conjunction with probiotics. A bag of potato starch is all you need. I have wondered about how kava affects the gut biome though. I really doubt it'd be hurting many probiotics you put in there. And as a side note, you should very seriously look into probiotics containing soil organisms. I know a great brand that I've used, but don't know if I can say it, the combo of soil organisms and resistant starch has been doing amazing things for people.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
the combo of soil organisms and resistant starch has been doing amazing things for people.
Like what amazing things? Are you talking about worm droppings (casings) as a soil organism? Just curious.

I know violet has dabbled a little bit with resistant starch. But if I remember right, she didn't receive much benefit from it.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I have never seen or heard of any studies on this topic but I would think that if it were a problem that there would be some mention of it in the people of the Pacific area since they have been drinking it for so long. And as Robert said kava does have prebiotics because of the starch. I hope this helps, aloha.

Chris

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
Great topic. I've been taking probiotics on and off for about a year, all the while with regular consumption of kava. I've noticed no negative side effects, in fact, absolutely find the two together as beneficial. Really settles things down quickly and restores the flow, so to speak. I never put it together as to why so I'm glad Robert pointed out the starch prebiotic concept. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
I have never seen or heard of any studies on this topic but I would think that if it were a problem that there would be some mention of it in the people of the Pacific area since they have been drinking it for so long. And as Robert said kava does have prebiotics because of the starch. I hope this helps, aloha.

Chris
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava, Hey chris do you know if Kava is a resistant starch / RS2 ?? I cant find any info on this.. thanks.