What's new

Puariki: TKS vs. AoK?

Lenticels

AluNaw
Has anyone tried both? Which is superior in its effects, IYO?

I wish TKS would get its COAs up and running already... would obv. make a preliminary comparison easier.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Has anyone tried both? Which is superior in its effects, IYO?

I wish TKS would get its COAs up and running already... would obv. make a preliminary comparison easier.
TKS and Nakamal @ Home buy from the same supplier. Check Nakamal @ Home's "Epik" line of tests and they'll be essentially the same.

Edit: Sorry @Lenticels I entirely misread your original post.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
All Puariki plants on the planet are grown within a maximum of about 6km of each other, so it is safe to assume that the roots from all resellers like AoK and TKS are from the same stock

Lenticels

AluNaw
TKS and Nakamal @ Home buy from the same supplier. Check Nakamal @ Home's "Epik" line of tests and they'll be essentially the same.
I know this already as I recall you asserting so elsewhere.

The vendor I'm talking about now is AoK, i.e., their puariki vs. the puariki you'd get from TKS.

But it would appear, based on nabanga's reply, that they are indeed pretty much the same, as well.

Lenticels

AluNaw
I like art of kavas and have gone through 1.5 kilos of it and just ordered a kilo more. I also ordered a half kilo from kava society so I’llet you know how they compare if I remember to follow up
Interesting; how do you like puariki compared to other cultivars? What are your favorites?

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Aok was the first puariki I think I have had if I am not forgetting. I will do a more detailed review of the puariki I got from kava society soon but now I've tried theirs a couple of times. The taste is completely different than art of kavas, with a more peppery and less earthy flavor. The effects have some commonalities, but there are clear differences. Also, the grind on the puariki from art of kava is coarser, which isn't a bad thing, but may be a factor in strength. I like them both a lot, but Kava society gets the gold medal for quality.

kw2292

Kava Curious
For me Art of Kavas is heavier in effects. I’d guess processing may have something to do with it. They are both strong balanced kavas that have been some of my favorite bags this year. I’ve drank around 600g of kava society’s and 400g of Aok so I guess I reach for KS more often.

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
Hey guys! The puariki comes from the same place (Tongoa), we just have different processors. The community along with our agent selects the plants for harvest. I'm guessing their supplier does the same thing. It depends largely if its grown in rocky soil if its more earthy along with some other factors on how its washed (pressure wash, dip, etc). That largely depends on the facilities available and intent of what kind of product you want to put out there. if it was all homogenized and tasted the same, ground the same, some of the fun is lost imho. TKS puts out excellent kava and are extremely knowledgable about the product. id recommend trying them any day of the week. :)

Lenticels

AluNaw
Now N@H is coming out with their own puariki; I wonder if it'll be noticeably different?

Likely modestly/marginally so, as TKS appears to preserve the freshness of their product a bit better... but perhaps N@H will be a bit cheaper.

Last edited:

kw2292

Kava Curious
Pretty sure N@H sources from TKS or rather their base supplier. Could cut down on shipping given they imported to the US already.

Lenticels

AluNaw
Pretty sure N@H sources from TKS or rather their base supplier. Could cut down on shipping given they imported to the US already.
I think it's better to state that most of the better Vanuatuan kavas tend to come from Forney Enterprises.

Anyway, my point is that TKS nitrogen-flushes their bags, hence a potentially fresher batch-to-batch product versus N@H. Others have also previously pointed this out.

(Both AoK and N@H are based in Florida, so yes shipping would certainly be shaved-off a bit versus buying from NZ...)

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
Hello there!

We have all of our kava vacuum packed. No air or gas. We also do not ship by sea and purchase smaller batches. So what youre getting is the freshest available.

From what weve determined nitro flushing isnt very different from vacuum packing as far as freshness.

I think it's better to state that most of the better Vanuatuan kavas tend to come from Forney Enterprises.

Anyway, my point is that TKS nitrogen-flushes their bags, hence a potentially fresher batch-to-batch product versus N@H. Others have also previously pointed this out.

(Both AoK and N@H are based in Florida, so yes shipping would certainly be shaved-off a bit versus buying from NZ...)

Lenticels

AluNaw
Hello there!

We have all of our kava vacuum packed. No air or gas. We also do not ship by sea and purchase smaller batches. So what youre getting is the freshest available.

From what weve determined nitro flushing isnt very different from vacuum packing as far as freshness.
Hmm, maybe.

Either way, I think I'll be trying both and then arrive at my own conclusion.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Yeah I been drinking both off and on and I still think they are miles apart in effects, taste, and appearance. The AOK one is an earthy, slightly grassy tasting daytime kava for me with euphoria and it’s usually decent for anxiety considering it’s headiness. It’s a coarser grind and gives me more dermo than your average kava if I drink it as my daily for too long. It’s a nice state of mind carefree but focused. The one from KS is finer grind, funky tasting kava. heady too but a little spacier and stronger. But I’m someone who absolutely appreciates kavas that are a little less potent too for daytime and also avoiding over-indulgence when I want to drink it throughout the day. Definitely an evening kava for me. It’s a little bit mentally numbing but it’s a vibe in itself, relaxing headiness with a bit of body effect too.

Lenticels

AluNaw
Yeah I been drinking both off and on and I still think they are miles apart in effects, taste, and appearance. The AOK one is an earthy, slightly grassy tasting daytime kava for me with euphoria and it’s usually decent for anxiety considering it’s headiness. It’s a coarser grind and gives me more dermo than your average kava if I drink it as my daily for too long. It’s a nice state of mind carefree but focused. The one from KS is finer grind, funky tasting kava. heady too but a little spacier and stronger. But I’m someone who absolutely appreciates kavas that are a little less potent too for daytime and also avoiding over-indulgence when I want to drink it throughout the day. Definitely an evening kava for me. It’s a little bit mentally numbing but it’s a vibe in itself, relaxing headiness with a bit of body effect too.
Thank you for this more detailed contrasting between the two.

"Carefree but focused" sounds really, really good to me, so I'd definitely hope our experiences end up paralleling in some way.

(Interesting that you find AoK's to be less heavy when kw2292 found it to be the opposite, though.)