What's new

Question about apple cider vinegar and kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kava_Bob_40

Kava Curious
I have recently been taking apple cider vinegar for a short time, mostly in the mornings and sometimes in the afternoons. I take 2 teaspoons to about 8oz of water. I have moved to taking my kava at night.

My question is, and I have tried googling the answer, is there a time gap needed between taking the vinegar and powdered kava? I ask this because I have read that alcohol is a precursor stage to vinegar which kava doesn't seem to mix too well with, yet vinegar, if I have read about it correctly, is one step up from an alcohol because of oxidation toward acetic acid?

Thanks for any information anyone might have.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
Not sure about the relation, but the quantity seems very telling. 2 teaspoons is a very small amount, I think even if I were alcohol, It likely would not be noticeable.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah lol your fine. It's not alchohol itself that doesn't mix with kava its the effects and liver stuff... apple cider vinegar if it does anything would be help absorption of kava by keeping your ph up

verticity

I'm interested in things
Apple cider vinegar is just a relatively weak acid. It is not a drug metabolized by the liver like alcohol. It's an ingredient in food, like my awesome barbecue sauce. My I ask why you are drinking apple cider vinegar? Is there supposed to be some health benefit to it?

verticity

I'm interested in things
Barbecue chicken recipe:

Mix together:
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce

Place chicken thighs (skinless, or with skin as you prefer) in a Pyrex cooking dish. Pour sauce over them. Cook at 375 F for 1 1/2 hours.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Apple cider vinegar is just a relatively weak acid. It is not a drug metabolized by the liver like alcohol. It's an ingredient in food, like my awesome barbecue sauce. My I ask why you are drinking apple cider vinegar? Is there supposed to be some health benefit to it?
Acid reflux. In some people it's theorized that your stomach doesn't contain enough acid which never allows the muscle to close at the top of the stomach. The theory is by raising the acid content it will actually cause relief of acid reflux. I tried it, and apparently I'm one of those people with TOO much acid. It was like drinking battery acid....the heartburn that followed was on a different level. Needless to say I haven't tried that one again.

I've also heard of people drinking apple cider vinegar for skin issues such as acne.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
My friend tried to tell me it cured everything from skin issues to cancer once..... It's an old folk remedy he got from his grandma

verticity

I'm interested in things
Acid reflux. In some people it's theorized that your stomach doesn't contain enough acid which never allows the muscle to close at the top of the stomach. The theory is by raising the acid content it will actually cause relief of acid reflux. I tried it, and apparently I'm one of those people with TOO much acid. It was like drinking battery acid....the heartburn that followed was on a different level. Needless to say I haven't tried that one again.

I've also heard of people drinking apple cider vinegar for skin issues such as acne.
That's interesting. A homeopathic remedy for acid reflux. But if you try that, yeah, you're definitely going to want to dilute that in water like the OP. lol. It is a "weak acid" but so is hydrofluoric acid, technically, but that stuff can etch glass.

Jonathan

All Hail Leon
For what it's worth, I drank it once while I had hives and it helped reduce the intensity of the hives during their duration. Not a cure, per se, but it did help quite a bit. I just did a tsp. in a glass of water three times a day.

Bwiggy

I like plants
I've heard and read the ACV is an excellent health remedy for weight loss, overall cleansing, candida, etc.

Bwiggy

I like plants
Mmmm, pickled brains....

I recently decided to try it for my elbow (minor pain since early spring from cutting a tree branch).
there are lot of claims about it clearing stuffy noses (@HeadHodge - I think you were saying your allergies are worse after drinking kava) and stomach issues (@Steve Mariotti ) , boosts energy! , eases nighttime leg cramps!, fades bruises.... and on (prevents cancer).
There's a million links to all the benefits, but here's one...http://www.rd.com/slideshows/apple-cider-vinegar-benefits/

verticity

I'm interested in things
Mmmm, pickled brains....

I recently decided to try it for my elbow (minor pain since early spring from cutting a tree branch).
there are lot of claims about it clearing stuffy noses (@HeadHodge - I think you were saying your allergies are worse after drinking kava) and stomach issues (@Steve Mariotti ) , boosts energy! , eases nighttime leg cramps!, fades bruises.... and on (prevents cancer).
There's a million links to all the benefits, but here's one...http://www.rd.com/slideshows/apple-cider-vinegar-benefits/
That is interesting, I could see how some of those claims could be legitimate, since ACV kills bacteria, and contains potassium, but some of them sound kind of dubious ("boosts energy", "lowers cholesterol", "controls blood sugar"). For example the study purporting to show that it controls blood sugar only had 11 subjects, which is really not enough to conclude anything meaningful.

Bwiggy

I like plants
Yeah, 11 subjects is hilarious. @verticity
That said, the amount of claims of benefit is also hilariously large.
I know of one person who lost about 15 lbs just drinking two teaspoons a day with water.
I also have sinusitis, so we'll see if it helps with all of it!

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I do think that those who advocate for it, stipulate that it have something called a "mother" in it, I think it deals with the bacteria that creates the vinegar?

I know it is very tasty, and I often add it to food.

Kava_Bob_40

Kava Curious
Thanks for the responses :)

@verticity: A friend of mine started trying it out last month and he said that it helped with his sinuses and allergies and that it did give him some pep. I started taking it after hearing about it being an aid in weight loss and also to clean out the gut of crud and also of being a cleanser for the body. This stuff does keep you regular I have noticed, lol.

ACV also is used for clearing easier or dissolving kidney and gallstones. I have seen the numerous benefits that are about a page long. No idea if many of them are true or not.

The Mother is the good bacteria part along with proteins and enzymes floating in the vinegar.

That chicken recipe looks good by the way. Now I will have to try it. :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.