What's new

Question about Chemotype and Substitutes

yestothat

Kava Curious
Hi folks, what's a good substitute for BKH's Nangol Noble ground? They're currently out of stock, and I'm hoping to find a replacement in the meantime.

BKH's Nangol has been my go-to for years for its very mild taste, balance of euphoric and relaxing effects. Several shells made with 1/2 cup of medium grind before bedtime helps me fall asleep with positive and vivid dreams every single time without fail. I've never flipped on this kava no matter how much I ingest, unlike some others that've left me with nausea and extremely unpleasant spinning/flipping sensations while lying on my back after 1 shell too many (a decision that's hard to determine esp. when one has had several shells).

Questions:

1. Do kavas of similar chemotype reliably produce the same effects? e.g. according to the Kava Prices spreadsheet, BKH Nangol's chemotype is 426315. Can I assume that Kalm with Kava's Pouni Ono (426531) will produce an effect that is close to BKH Nangol, i.e. what I'm seeking?

2. Which kava do you recommended for: mild taste, euphoria and sleepiness, ZERO energizing effect, no flipping/hangover type effect

Thanks all!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Kalm's Pouni Ono and most Tongan kava's in general are pretty close to what you're looking for.
Nakamal at Home's WOW! was similar to Nangol Noble last time I had them...and BKH's Nambawan might fit your vibe too. Also Real Kava's 5 Star Kava. (very expensive though)

Depending on your personal biology, some of these might be a bit energizing, but it depends on the person. ::happyshell::

yestothat

Kava Curious
Thanks! Have you tried Wakacon's Fijian lawena or waka? Both chemotypes are exactly the same as BKH Nangol. I assume the effects would be very similar?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Wakacon is much weaker than nangol noble, although Nangol didn't hit like it used to the last couple times I had it either.
Wakacon's waka is fine though, maybe you'll like it. If you're looking for less expensive stuff you could try Just Kava on Amazon.

yestothat

Kava Curious
Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up trying both Wakacon's Fijian waka and Nakamal at Home's Wow. I'm not a fan of kava's taste and usually hold my breath while chugging lol. Here's my feedback for posterity and for whoever's interested...

1/2 cup of medium ground to 32 oz cold water. Kneaded in a nutmilk bag for 5-10 minutes.

Wakacon's waka: Very potent. The liquid was dark brown, thin and had a pungent flavor. I felt a tad anxious after my 3rd shell. I don't usually like dark kavas due to the taste. But I appreciated the great value and next day delivery.

N@H's Wow is very, very similar to BKH's Nangol Noble. The juice is light green with minimal pungency. Creamy almost. Relaxed after my 3rd shell with no jitters. After my 5th I fell asleep and enjoyed a great 8 hour sleep with REM!