What's new

Question about micronized kava ...

Bluesjunky

Kava Curious
Hi everybody, just received from my first bag of micronized, Nene from GHK, and I'm super excited about trying it after hearing all the glowing reviews. I apologize if this has already been discussed in other threads, but I would appreciate tips on the best ways to prepare the concoction. Thanks in advance! My main concern about the preparation is whether or not I need to strain the grog? The impression I get is is that it's optional. The consistency of the Nene looks almost instant in texture. The straining process, using the fine mesh ones, is a major pain in the ass with the medium grind. Multiple strains to finally get to a semi-palpable finish. Sounds like micronized should be less of headache, not to mention you can use much less. Appreciate any feedback you can offer :)

Take Care,
Mike

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
You can strain it, or you can drink it straight up if it doesn't give you GI issues. Only one way to find out!

Bluesjunky

Kava Curious
Thanks, I normally don't get GI issues from kava, anyway, so hopefully it won't be an issue. As for the straining: do you use a fine mesh bag or some other method? Don't want to lose too much of the effect, hopefully I won't have to take that route.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I've used a fijian strainer when straining micronized. Frankly, I've never gotten great effects from strained micronized. But everyone else seems to love it, so it's probably worth a shot.

D

Deleted User01

Thank you KavaDude, I'm one of those that loves Micronized. :hungry: But only if it has "no Makas". :D Put 2 tablespoons in a glass of juice/Cocktail Mix with ice and maybe some lemon/lime. Sip on it and enjoy. If the mild graininess turns you off, then check out this recipe for Micronized Kava Syrup.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Thanks, I normally don't get GI issues from kava, anyway, so hopefully it won't be an issue. As for the straining: do you use a fine mesh bag or some other method? Don't want to lose too much of the effect, hopefully I won't have to take that route.
I think the best results so far were from either @Hyperion or @Noueky where they purchased a 25 micron bubble bag to strain the micronized and thought it worked great. Sorry I don't have a link for you. :( Maybe try searching for "bubble bag" or
"25 micron" ) Or maybe one of those two will reply with the answer.

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
I think the best results so far were from either @Hyperion or @Noueky where they purchased a 25 micron bubble bag to strain the micronized and thought it worked great. Sorry I don't have a link for you. :( Maybe try searching for "bubble bag" or
"25 micron" ) Or maybe one of those two will reply with the answer.
I've been trying it out with kava powder as well, (blending first, on high speed 4 min. then straining through 25 micron bubble) and it works very nice. If you're not using micro that is 100% free of makas this method nor any other will work. The consensus seems to be if the makas are not removed before the vendor micros the kava it's already to late.

http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/thr...imple-method-and-micro.2986/page-4#post-32536

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

Thanks for the tip. So blending isn't necessary with micronized?
Blending is not necessary. The reason I blend and strain is that I like to make a 16oz bottle of syrup to have on demand. In fact, I'm getting into said bottle right after I finish planting the fall garden. I'm gonna need it. :)

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
The consensus seems to be if the makas are not removed before the vendor micros the kava it's already to late.
I'm in a kinda feisty mood for a good debate so......
So trying to be Socratic, I would say the reason for straining is to separate water and kava lactones from the root (fiber) of the plant. And that whether you use fresh root, coarse grind, medium grind, or micronized grind, straining has the same objective for all grinds. I believe that I'm correct in saying that "makas" is a constituent part of the kava root fiber itself and would be removed from the grog if properly strained.

So my question would be... Don't you think that straining micronized kava would have a beneficial effect in removing root fiber (with the maka) from your grog???

I do know that if nothing else, it was reported that straining micronized poweder made it less gritty, meaning to me that some of the root fiber (maka) was successfully removed without loss of effect.

D

Deleted User01

You are correct, when you strain any finely ground root powder like Micronized or fine ground powder, you are always going to get some fiber in your grog. In the case of GHK Micronized, that fiber will not have any Makas but will be the purer Kava root fibers.

Second, when I strain Micronized, I actually Knead it and I do a second wash to try to recover 100 percent of the Kavalactones. I can handle the fiber ok but sometimes I just like pouring some Kava Syrup into a glass with cocktail mix and ice and just slowly sip on it at my desk or on the patio. The taste of Micronized Syrup is lite years better than Grog.

Third, it is said that the Maka fibers are more caustic on the stomach then the pure root fibers. Those with sensitve stomaches will get less distress with Makaless Micronized Kava than with a fine grind that has Makas in it. With the fine grind, you will get Makas and Kava Fiber and that is what some members have been complaining about with a vendor who is selling fine grind Kava (with Makas). These member are not newcomers to Kava and have never experienced any stomach distress till now.

In conclusion, Maka Fibers are baddddddd. No Makas are goooooddddd.

P.S. I'm sure vendors could also produce medium grind Kava with no Makas but they would have to double the price since GHK says that they lose up to 50 percent of weight when the Makas are removed.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Blending is not necessary. The reason I blend and strain is that I like to make a 16oz bottle of syrup to have on demand. In fact, I'm getting into said bottle right after I finish planting the fall garden. I'm gonna need it. :)
Are you planting turnips, and radishes too? They grow like mad around here in the fall. Just wondering as I know we both share the gardening passion. Much love. Roaddog....

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
So my question would be... Don't you think that straining micronized kava would have a beneficial effect in removing root fiber (with the maka) from your grog???

Hi everyone, no you will not get any of the bad stuff by blending it and straining it (the medium grind kava). If it is micronized already then you can not remove the makas, it is already a fine powder and mixed in with the good stuff so you will not get it out.
YOu are safe to drink the medium or course grinds but be careful with micronized that is not from me, as far as I know, I am the only person that takes out the makas or the course fibers, maybe that is why my kava is so high in kavalactones, because I use the makas as a compost. :D
Just remember that the makas is the hardest part of the kava, it is very hard to rupture the sell walls to let all the stuff out, this is only with the medium and course grinds, if they micronize the makas too then they expose and rupture the cells of the kava and release all the stuff in the makas as well as the rest of the kava so you get all the good stuff but you also get all the makas. I hope this helps explain things but if not let me know if you have any other questions, aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

@Roaddog. Naw, we just planted tomatoes and peppers. Our garden is being overcome with shade and I need to give the Oaks a serious pruning. That has to be about every 2 years. But we did plant a ton of flower seeds in our various other flower gardens and I'm hoping for an explosion of color in fall. We pick all the flower seeds and reuse them the next year. We have had the cosmos for 28 years.

You were right about the worms, they either didn't survive in my finished compost or they made a getaway thru the holes at the bottom. I really don't want to get into growing them so I'll just feed the dirt my cottonseed meal based fertilizer and hope they get plump and fat and make lots of babies. Downing some Kava Syrup now because I do ache. It gets tougher every year and it was hotter than hell this weekend. One more thing, my wife put one eggshell beneath each tomato plant. Something she saw on TV. We'll see.

D

Deleted User01

you mean a micro with no makas?
Well, if you remove the makas and then forgo the fine grind for a medium grind then you would have a super potent Kava Powder that the most finicky stomaches could handle. As Chris with GHK as stated, he removes the makas only on his micronized Kava because you are supposed to "toss and wash" the Micronized. It makes sense. I was doing the toss and wash method and using it like instant for months before I started experimenting with Kava Syrup. No problems with the fiber either way.

More importantly to this conversation is that I think we know why some people are getting sick with Fine Grind Kava Powder. I think the damn Makas is the problem but we never had a name to put on it. So I highly recommend that you buy Medium Grind Kava Powder so you can strain those little rascals.