What's new

Kava Physiology question of medicinal effects?

Kristy

Kava Curious
So my father has been taking hydrocodine for years due to cronic pain. he really wants to stop taking them but scared of with drawls. Anyone know if kava works for that ? Also what kava variety would work best . I order my kava from chris at ghk.:)

infraredz

BULA!
I don't honestly think that kava would be the best thing for opioid withdrawal but it certainly would be of some benefit. I think that kava would bee amazing for PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) and I think it would be much, much better than using it for the acute withdrawal part of opioid withdrawal.

(BTW, I'm going to move this to Medicinal Category)

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I do not want to say it will work, or it will not work, but I have sold kava to Natural Doctors who have used it to get there patients off of Heroin and other things so I would say it is worth a try.

As long as the thing that was causing his pain is gone then he should be able to take the kava and wean himself off the pills. I also know that a lot of my friends have stopped drinking and smoking with the help of kava.

I hope this helps.

Aloha.

Chris

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Ok, Believe it or not I do have experience in this. Yes it helps very much. But How he may need to use it may be different than for me. As kava works its own magic. Ok when I first started I drank kava morning noon and at night. Well no one can keep that up for very long. But as long as your fathers Hydrocodone habit isn't too large. Really 7 days, and he should be through the worst.

So my solid plan of attack if I was him, would be to begin to taper his hydrocodone, down to a very small dose. Then clear his schedule for a week.

Take kava by tea, as much as needed. EDIT- Infraredz- (Now Vicodin, Lortab and Norco [and 99% of hydrocodone preparations] are all pills that contain hydrocodone and acetaminophen [paracetamol] NOT aspirin, so he should not use kava, during the taper)

Make sure he eats and takes Fiber. Because the kava could add to the Diarrhea. I can not stress eating and using fiber enough. Or the diarrhea, will not be worth the comforting effects Kava can provide a opiate Withdraweler. ill tell ya, Kava has been getting me through some rough one there. I hate to say it, but I have kicked opiates more times than I care to tell. If ya need a list of other comfort meds, OTC sleep meds, Vitamins, or supplements that will help, please don't be afraid to ask. I am no councilor, or Doctor, but I am someone who has kicked opiates. I'm always willing to help in anyway I can. That's why I'm on the Kava lounge. Need something fun and new, to take my mind off that stuff, I feel I have found that here. With like minded folks. Much love. Roaddog....

Last edited by a moderator:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
By the way, I'm 60 days clean of all opiates myself as of today. Yea for me.:) :) :) :) :). Much love. Roaddog....

infraredz

BULA!
(Now hydrocodone, contains aspirin, so he should not use kava, during the taper)
A very important clarification: Vicodin, Lortab and Norco are all brand names for a preparation of hydrocodone and acetaminophen.

The combination of Acetaminophen and kava should be avoided at all costs due to several hepatotoxic risks.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
A very important clarification: Vicodin, Lortab and Norco are all brand names for a preparation of hydrocodone and acetaminophen.

The combination of Acetaminophen and kava should be avoided at all costs due to several hepatotoxic risks.
My point exactly thanks infreredz. Thanks for clearing that up. I was going to use the word Acetaminophen, but could not spell it;).lol. Much love. Roaddog....

infraredz

BULA!
No worries, I edited your post just for safety's sake.

I know that you meant Acetaminophen and know of the potential harm that can come from kava and Acetaminophen and kava, so good on ya! (y)