What's new

Questionssss

Deereign

I've been poking around the Kava sites the past few days and there is just so much information and products. It's a lot to take in. I've taken K@ for a few years now, it helped with my back pain and anxiety, but the dependent side of it is not appealing anymore. I'm hoping you lovely people might be able to guide me in the direction of a good website to start on. I'm interested in a heady medium grind. From what I've read possibly Fijian, Samoa, and the last one starts with a V I believe.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I've been poking around the Kava sites the past few days and there is just so much information and products. It's a lot to take in. I've taken K@ for a few years now, it helped with my back pain and anxiety, but the dependent side of it is not appealing anymore. I'm hoping you lovely people might be able to guide me in the direction of a good website to start on. I'm interested in a heady medium grind. From what I've read possibly Fijian, Samoa, and the last one starts with a V I believe.
If you'd like an overall understanding of kava culture, uses, history, a nice lecture by Dr. Vincent Lebot (it's from the late 90's but still great) can be viewed on associationforhawaiianawa.org Also, if you want to better understand the individual kavalactones listen to Dr. Dennis McKenna talk*, same site.
These forums are a wealth of information, reviews etc. *not to recommend harsh solvent extracts but just to understand the function of some of the kavalactones. Aqueous kava is best in my opinion.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
If you'd like an overall understanding of kava culture, uses, history, a nice lecture by Dr. Vincent Lebot (it's from the late 90's but still great) can be viewed on associationforhawaiianawa.org Also, if you want to better understand the individual kavalactones listen to Dr. Dennis McKenna talk*, same site.
These forums are a wealth of information, reviews etc. *not to recommend harsh solvent extracts but just to understand the function of some of the kavalactones. Aqueous kava is best in my opinion.
This man has been drinking kava for longer than most of us have been alive. His words are cannon.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Welcome! Everyone will have slightly different feelings on each kava, that said Heady usually implies a nice strong noble kava that has chemotype that starts with a 4. Many of the suppliers carry both heady and heavy varieties. If you scroll through the tried and true suppliers that are on this site they all have good options and you really can't go wrong. I would recommend starting with a few varieties with the smallest package they sell just to get your feet wet and see what you like without spending a ton of money. Personally for heady varieties I like WoW from Nakamal at home, Moi from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava, Nambawan from Bula Kava House, Melomelo from Kalm.....lots of choices. If anyone still sells variety sample packs I would try that. In short, jump in (the water is just fine I swear!) and see what works for you. If you have specific questions about a particular kava or preparation let us know.