What's new

Racetams and kava

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I bought a few nootropics from nootropics depot for a study aid. I drink kava daily and find it sort of necessary for me to focus right now. Anyone mixed racetams with kava, and how were the effects? I bought aniracetam, noopept, and oxiracetam. I’m a high anxiety person like a lot of you here so Id also like to hear about you guys experience with these substances. I can handle some caffeine and use K@ but I can’t do pharmaceutical stimulants as they are too much.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
What are the pharmaceutical stimulants? Nicotine, methylphenidate and mixture of salts of certain phenylethylamine?

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
I think (speculate) that noopept is not hard on the liver because it is just a peptide used in small amounts. That's all I can say without research.

DrJknows

Kava Curious
I take piracetam daily in the morning & find no interference with a morning heady kava. Oxiracetam is a bit more stimulating (& considerably more pricey). Aniracetam tends to be more relaxing, but redosing the same day just makes me irritable.

Racetams have a sweet spot dose that can vary _a lot_ from person to person. Too much can be very detrimental in the short term (that day).

Also, if you get headaches when taking a racetam, try eating eggs or, if that doesn't work find a supplemental choline source. (careful, too much choline can bring on the blues for some - including me). I take centrophenoxine once every week or two as my choline source. There are several other sources (but keep in mind that choline (bitartrate) itself has a reputation for making a person smell like a fish .
This is only my experience: it's based on taking racetams over a dozen years -however YMMV!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I bought a few nootropics from nootropics depot for a study aid. I drink kava daily and find it sort of necessary for me to focus right now. Anyone mixed racetams with kava, and how were the effects? I bought aniracetam, noopept, and oxiracetam. I’m a high anxiety person like a lot of you here so Id also like to hear about you guys experience with these substances. I can handle some caffeine and use K@ but I can’t do pharmaceutical stimulants as they are too much.
No racetam experience. I do take alpha gpc which is a choline supplement and have no issues. You might want to check out examine.com. I know they have data and good references for nootropics and might indicate or point you to articles that might say how the substances are broken down or potential interactions.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
What does alpha gpc do for you? I got some in the sampler I bought and wonder if it might be partly what I’m actually looking for as a cognitive booster

Zaphod

Kava Lover
What does alpha gpc do for you? I got some in the sampler I bought and wonder if it might be partly what I’m actually looking for as a cognitive booster
I find that it has helped me with memory and focus. I was searching for a non-stimulating nootropic to help with age related decline in memory. I was ready to start trying different nootropics like racetams but this seemed like a good stepping stone that was worth trying first. Right now I take alpha-gpc twice a day and l-theanine with my coffee in the morning and it has definitely improved my memory. It is a supplement that is readily bioavailable and will increase brain levels of choline.

There has also been recently some articles describing why things like Benadryl can be detrimental to mental health because they are anticholinergic.

So far it has provided me the boost I need. I also occasionally take NAC, but that is no more than 1-2 per week if I feel particularly "foggy" and for liver health ( I still like my bourbon at low levels). Also helps with what I call kava fatigue/lethargy the next day if I go a bit heavy.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Thanks for the comment! I’ve been trying out all sorts of things too - all from the same vendor - and had some nice overall experiences. Gotu kola extract especially, but also NAC, theanine, shilajit, and ginseng extract have all been contributing to my energy and focus while nipping anxiety. I have alpha gpc too and had like 50-80mg without nootropics (or with gotu kola or ginseng) and the gpc doesn’t have a conscious change per say but does seem to boost neurotransmitter activity of something. Feel more clear headed and a little energized by it. It’s subtle but seems measurably effective when I look back at the days I did it.

Also after starting “stacking” these, I’ve almost completely cut caffeine, which I’d been using more to motivate me to study.

Last edited: