What's new

Real Live Kava Plant

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
How long do you guys think a cutting would live in a suitcase? Would it benefit from being wrapped in a damp cloth or similar?
I have empty land in Laos, and would love to eventually have enough plants growing to keep me in kava, but every time I travel back from the Pacific it takes 3 days minimum, door to door, so it would be at least 5 days from taking a cutting to putting it in moss. Does this sound feasible? The climate here is similar to the SW Pacific apart from a few cooler weeks in January (down to about 15C) but it gets cool a few weeks per year in places like Tanna too, so I'm guessing that this should be OK?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
How long do you guys think a cutting would live in a suitcase? Would it benefit from being wrapped in a damp cloth or similar?
I have empty land in Laos, and would love to eventually have enough plants growing to keep me in kava, but every time I travel back from the Pacific it takes 3 days minimum, door to door, so it would be at least 5 days from taking a cutting to putting it in moss. Does this sound feasible? The climate here is similar to the SW Pacific apart from a few cooler weeks in January (down to about 15C) but it gets cool a few weeks per year in places like Tanna too, so I'm guessing that this should be OK?
Yes, I encourage you to do this, I want this plant growing in as many places as possible. ::happyshell::
Mine cuttings took several days to arrive and were simply in a plastic bag with wet sand/perlite type stuff in it. One was already sprouting despite the travel. I think they could do well in Laos, it's on a similar latitude as Hawai'i. If you manage to smuggle some Tanna cuttings to Laos let me know. :D
::kavaleaf::

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
July update: One Mahakea is doing well with no setbacks. Another Mahakea had leaves growing from both sides of the cutting, but on one end the leaf dried up & died...and the end that still has leaves appears to have been eaten a little by a bug. This isn't the first time precious new growth has been eaten off. Not sure if that's normal with these, I'm afraid the cuttings with give up if it keeps happening. My 3rd Mahakea seems to still be alive but isn't growing a leaf. ----- One Mo'i is dead, the cutting turned black and hollow. The other 2 Mo'i seem alive but aren't sprouting.

k-july01.jpg
k-july02.jpg

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
July update: One Mahakea is doing well with no setbacks. Another Mahakea had leaves growing from both sides of the cutting, but on one end the leaf dried up & died...and the end that still has leaves appears to have been eaten a little by a bug. This isn't the first time precious new growth has been eaten off. Not sure if that's normal with these, I'm afraid the cuttings with give up if it keeps happening. My 3rd Mahakea seems to still be alive but isn't growing a leaf. ----- One Mo'i is dead, the cutting turned black and hollow. The other 2 Mo'i seem alive but aren't sprouting.

Do they have any roots yet? Aloha.

Chris

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I've been too afraid to check, delicate little buggahz. Should they be potted as soon as they show up, or should they strengthen up more in the moss first?
That was going to be my next question @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava asked first. It really should not hurt to check for roots...that will be key to make sure its not just a phloem thing. Did you add a tiny bit of fertilizer even a little osmocote?

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
It turns out I only have one, the two sprouts in the image were from the same stem. The stem whose leaf died a couple weeks ago has turned into a black piece of paper. I just checked the good cutting for roots, it looks like one little root hair coming out under the leaf. I haven't put any 10 - 30 - 10 near it yet, every time I ever tried to fertilize anything I burn it. Would it help new stems sprout, or only help sprouted stems grow? I have some cuttings that don't seem dead, but they just aren't sprouting, or were once starting to sprout but stopped.
k-july03.jpg

k-july04.jpg

(all the same cutting)​
@Alia @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
If you are afraid of burning (that's a valid fear) then just use a few grains of Osmocote slow release. Triple 13 or anything with some nitrogen that could help get the roots going. Better and faster -- a solution of Miracle-Grow poured over it...if you go by the instructions it should not burn. Also, the cutting is not very thick so you have actually done very well to get it going. I usually like to use slightly larger, thicker cuttings which would have more stored nutrients in the Phloem so they can live longer till roots form. Also, the callus at the cut-end of your cuttings are nicely formed. My point is that you are doing a good job on these and with a little food..they should be fine.

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
If you are afraid of burning (that's a valid fear) then just use a few grains of Osmocote slow release. Triple 13 or anything with some nitrogen that could help get the roots going. Better and faster -- a solution of Miracle-Grow poured over it...if you go by the instructions it should not burn. Also, the cutting is not very thick so you have actually done very well to get it going. I usually like to use slightly larger, thicker cuttings which would have more stored nutrients in the Phloem so they can live longer till roots form. Also, the callus at the cut-end of your cuttings are nicely formed. My point is that you are doing a good job on these and with a little food..they should be fine.
Any specific type of miracle grow I should look for ? And should I soak all the moss in it ?
I woke up today and noticed another leaf has been eaten, I only have one full leaf left on this one cutting that's growing and I feel like I'm gonna lose this plant to a stupid bug faster than not being in the correct climate. I'm gonna screen a box to enclose it entirely, if it's not too late...and then hope the bug doesn't already live in the moss and emerge at night to eat the remaining leaf. :mad:

I suspect I'll have no leaves tomorrow
chewed.jpg

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Any specific type of miracle grow I should look for ? And should I soak all the moss in it ?
I woke up today and noticed another leaf has been eaten, I only have one full leaf left on this one cutting that's growing and I feel like I'm gonna lose this plant to a stupid bug faster than not being in the correct climate. I'm gonna screened box to enclose it entirely, if it's not too late...and then hope the bug doesn't already live in the moss and emerge at night to eat the remaining leaf. :mad:

I suspect I'll have no leaves tomorrow
View attachment 8091
Do you have slugs or snails? Sometimes they will eat 'awa leaves. Drench with Miracle Grow or Peter's. Formula varies and I am not in front of my container right now but really, any good foliar will do.

Palmetto

Thank God!
I was planning to grow cuttings again this year, but I got a job offer in a different state, so it will have to wait. I remember someone saying they had good success with hydroponically growing their cuttings. Out of the numerous cuttings I had last year, only one Hiwa made it until the beginning of summer, then mysteriously died. I

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Do you have slugs or snails? Sometimes they will eat 'awa leaves. Drench with Miracle Grow or Peter's. Formula varies and I am not in front of my container right now but really, any good foliar will do.
There might be snails or slugs around, haven't seen any though, and the 'awa are up on a table on a cement patio. I'm gonna bring them inside tonight. So, in your experience, if these first leaves keep getting eaten, will the cutting give up and die or continue to try pushing out new growth?

thanks for the help. ::happyshell::

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
There might be snails or slugs around, haven't seen any though, and the 'awa are up on a table on a cement patio. I'm gonna bring them inside tonight. So, in your experience, if these first leaves keep getting eaten, will the cutting give up and die or continue to try pushing out new growth?

thanks for the help. ::happyshell::
It should continue to try and sprout a shoot/sprout but give that one some food.