What's new

rebound anxiety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exit stage left
I wasn't sure where this thread belongs, I didn't want to post in in the addictions forum per se, as I don't know if this is an addiction issue beyond just the physical effects, but:

One nasty aspect I've found with benzo use for anxiety is the rebound anxiety you get when the dose wears off. I'm planning on going out with some friends to a theatre event tonight, and was planning on having some kava maybe an hour or two beforehand in hopes of quelling some of my anxiety. But what happens when the kava wears off? I don't imagine it will last the entire night. Does it have any rebound effects like pharmaceutical anti-anxiety medication would?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This is a perfect place to ask this question. The answer is definitely no. Kava does not cause rebound anxiety. In fact the anti-anxiety effects can stay with you for the next day after consuming kava.

exit stage left
Thank you. I've not had enough kava to drink it regularly yet, but am waiting on two shipments, one of which I hope arrives today so I can try it for tonight. From everything I've read, it seems to be something I'd at least like to try for my anxiety. It seems to sound like a good fir.

verticity

I'm interested in things
My experience is I tend to have a pretty high baseline level of anxiety. When kava wears off, this anxiety may return, or sometimes it doesn't return until later, but it's not any worse than before. So not really a rebound effect for me, just returning to baseline.
FYI kava is a diuretic, so don't have too much right before you go to the theater, or you might miss some of the show. :D

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
The biggest thing about kava IMO is it has the potential to safely & effectively replace alot of substances that people use for various reasons. Alcohol, barbiturates, marijuana, aspirin, etc..

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
I worked the other day on our car for 12+hrs straight w/ no break and by the end of the day my back was sooo stiff I couldn't stand up straight. I downed (2) glasses of kava and w/in 15mins max. my back was as loose & pain free as if I'd just woke up. Fact.

exit stage left
FYI kava is a diuretic, so don't have too much right before you go to the theater, or you might miss some of the show. :D
Ha ha, I've noticed that! I'll try and time it so that doesn't happen.

My anxiety has been bad the past 4 days or so. I had kava on Thursday and Friday and then Sat-now I've been having a lot of anxiety symptoms, including heart palpitations, and I get a lot of health anxiety too so that doesn't help, but I don't know if it's my baseline or from going from having kava to not having kava. I'm more inclined to think it's my baseline, I'm dealing with a lot of things right now that trigger anxiety in me.

exit stage left
I do have depression as well, actually. I see a psychiatrist, have been for 8 years, and I'm actually doing decently against the depression, compared to other times. I'm currently dealing with a relapse of anorexia as well, I'm working on restoring my weight at the moment, and that's why the depression/anxiety is giving me problems. If anything, kava helps me eat, I feel less anxious around it. It's obviously not my first line against mental health issues, but it helps with what the conventional psychiatric treatments don't.

exit stage left
Zoloft wasn't helpful for me, it had some really bad side effects, but what I'm on now is working. Finally. My limited experience with kava seems to help my mood, but I don't know if that's just because it relieves anxiety, which makes my overall functioning better.

My friend cancelled tonight, which is ok, I was pretty nervous about going anyway. I guess I'll have to test out kava as public anti-anxiety remedy another time. Thanks all for your help.

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
I've said this before numerous time but again...If alcohol could totally be replaced by kava this world would be a MUCH better place. The below link is a step in the right direction but the price is ridiculous.

Amazon product

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I've said this before numerous time but again...If alcohol could totally be replaced by kava this world would be a MUCH better place. The below link is a step in the right direction but the price is ridiculous.

Amazon product
If you contact Mike and ask about larger quantities it actually becomes quite affordable.

D

Deleted User01

I have never had "rebound anxiety" with kava. Occasionally, I might get irritated if I drink in the morning and "crash" in the afternoon and I have a lot of work to do. But that's the irritation of wanting to relax and not being able to do that. I think you should be fine taking your Kava 30 minutes before you leave. To @KeepOnKrunkin' point, there may have been some reports of that by some people so test the kava a few days ahead of time and see if you get that symptom. For the most part, it is not a usual side effect.

exit stage left
I guess kava, like anything, takes a bit of time to build up in your system against anxiety? I think I've been experiencing reverse tolerance, because the stuff I had this afternoon was quite enjoyable, and at the beginning a month ago I barely noticed it, but I've been taking it far from regularly. Maybe a couple of weeks out of the past month or so, spread out. I ran out of powdered root, and tried some tincture from a health food store but it was nothing like the powdered root. I won't be buying tincture again. Luckily I'm back in stock. Today, a couple of hours after I had the kava, I went out to the store and still experienced some anxiety, like heart palpitations. Lately I've been doing pretty well, even things that used to make me stall like talking to my neighbour or my landlord seem to be ok. I'm pretty good at "fake it till you make it". But going out today was still anxiety provoking. I don't know if it's rebound anxiety or just something that will get better with more regular use of kava. I will keep testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.