What's new

Recent KWK Loa Waka

Status
Not open for further replies.

aviavieu

Kava Enthusiast
I just yesterday opened the most recent batch that I received last week. Let me get another couple of days of the new grind under my belt and I'll let you know about this batch. From last night's prep it looked a bit more coarse than the last batch, but based on what I've had in the past, that may or may not indicate strength.
And how the tests came out :) ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
And how the tests came out :) ?
This batch is a good bit headier than the last few batches. Less sedative, and much coarser grind. I love coarse kavas because they're easier to knead and squeeze out completely. It's a great daily drinking kava. It's not going to make you walk sideways at 40 grams, but I'd call it a good medium strength kava.

Firedog

Kava Curious
This batch is a good bit headier than the last few batches. Less sedative, and much coarser grind. I love coarse kavas because they're easier to knead and squeeze out completely. It's a great daily drinking kava. It's not going to make you walk sideways at 40 grams, but I'd call it a good medium strength kava.
Been trying to get proper banged up in this one the last few days. 5tbls didn't do it so I might have to go up to 6

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
I had a bag of KWK wake from a few years ago I opened. And BAM, insta happy. So I ordered more, and it was about 1/4 as strong.

So yes, the strength went down. A lot.

Ricardo Piquant

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Interesting. I wonder what @Kalm with Kava says to this diminished strength (note that I'm completely aware that it's not Mike's fault, just would like to have his opinion/impression on that).
My guess is there's more demand now so the growers are maybe pulling younger plants. I've noticed top shelf quality to be much more elusive to acquire these days across the board. The best stuff probably is kept from being exported now.
There's really not a whole lot of verifiable QC as it relates to growers. I think in the future we may need to move to the way they grow blue agave - another rare crop that takes many years to mature but has a better standard in place.

Just my guesses

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
My guess is there's more demand now so the growers are maybe pulling younger plants. I've noticed top shelf quality to be much more elusive to acquire these days across the board. The best stuff probably is kept from being exported now.
There's really not a whole lot of verifiable QC as it relates to growers. I think in the future we may need to move to the way they grow blue agave - another rare crop that takes many years to mature but has a better standard in place.

Just my guesses
Agreed but I don’t think it’s solely demand. I believe they have had enough weather catastrophes in the South Pacific that the farmers have no choice but to pull young plants till they get back into a good crop rotation. This is all conjecture on my part and I know nothing of the actual trade but based on what I’ve read this is my conclusion

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I think in the future we may need to move to the way they grow blue agave - another rare crop that takes many years to mature but has a better standard in place.
Blue agave is another very special plant and an interesting comparison when you consider it's prime growing conditions. Also similar to kava, the people I've met that don't like it have only bought from the lower quality producers. For me beverages from either are plant are top shelf amazing or just meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.