What's new

Kava Botany Relationship between kava age and quality

KeepOnKrunkin'

Kava Enthusiast
I just read the lateral roots which grow along the surface of the ground are THE most potent, meaning of course they're kavalactone concentration is the highest on avg.

"Kava plants, after they take their initial 3 years to mature, grow a large number of roots, or root runners, along the surface of the ground. These lateral roots can get quite large, and for some reason, typically contain the most potent kava kava. So, Kava Root that’s made with all “lateral” root is typically more potent, and often of higher quality than the underground roots. This isn’t always the case, but it is a good rule of thumb to follow when researching Kava Root on your own."

Source: http://www.kava.com/kava-information/kava-root/

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I just read the lateral roots which grow along the surface of the ground are THE most potent, meaning of course they're kavalactone concentration is the highest on avg.

"Kava plants, after they take their initial 3 years to mature, grow a large number of roots, or root runners, along the surface of the ground. These lateral roots can get quite large, and for some reason, typically contain the most potent kava kava. So, Kava Root that’s made with all “lateral” root is typically more potent, and often of higher quality than the underground roots. This isn’t always the case, but it is a good rule of thumb to follow when researching Kava Root on your own."

Source: http://www.kava.com/kava-information/kava-root/
You are correct on this one but there is a part of the plant that is even stronger than the lateral roots, I know you don't like the Internet for information (as you have said in the case with tudei) but dig deeper and you might find out what part that is. Aloha.

Chris

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
OK, I'm stumped (pun intended)
No stump at all. :D Lateral roots are fine, they can get big too, I have grown some that are over 3 inches in diameter, most are about 1/4-1 inch in diameter. A veteran kava grower like me knows that some varieties will give what we call hair like lateral roots, it is these roots that are the strongest. So now I might as well tell you that I will be offering in limited quantities this fine product very soon. Because it comes from a rare Hawaiian kava called Hanakapi Ai and there is only a small amount compared to the other parts of the kava plant that I use this product will cost a bit more but it will be worth it. :hungry: It will show that Noble kava can be that good, and it will show you do NOT need tudei kava. I will make a post when it is on my website very soon. Aloha nui loa.

Chris

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
great info everyone,
I to was wondering about kava, and the age of the plants, and how it effects potency ect...
Now I seem to know a little more about it, I remember first seeing the 11-12 year kava "waka" for sale at a few places...
I do think they got great reviews if I remember right?
Oh and the new kava GHK mentioned sounds amazing, when ever it's available I would love to get "even a little" to try! :)

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
great info everyone,
I to was wondering about kava, and the age of the plants, and how it effects potency ect...
Now I seem to know a little more about it, I remember first seeing the 11-12 year kava "waka" for sale at a few places...
I do think they got great reviews if I remember right?
Oh and the new kava GHK mentioned sounds amazing, when ever it's available I would love to get "even a little" to try! :)
I personally really love the 11 year waka from BKH, and I've always got some on hand. It's very strong and always gets me to where I want to go pretty quick. Very heady; very relaxing.

Full disclosure though, some people believe it to be tudei and don't consume it. It's got a strange thing going on when it comes to testing, because certain results point to tudei, and others do not. It's also got one of the more unique chemotype compositions, which certainly poses a few questions about its nobility.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
No stump at all. :D Lateral roots are fine, they can get big too, I have grown some that are over 3 inches in diameter, most are about 1/4-1 inch in diameter. A veteran kava grower like me knows that some varieties will give what we call hair like lateral roots, it is these roots that are the strongest. So now I might as well tell you that I will be offering in limited quantities this fine product very soon. Because it comes from a rare Hawaiian kava called Hanakapi Ai and there is only a small amount compared to the other parts of the kava plant that I use this product will cost a bit more but it will be worth it. :hungry: It will show that Noble kava can be that good, and it will show you do NOT need tudei kava. I will make a post when it is on my website very soon. Aloha nui loa.

Chris
You have my interest!!

muzzled dogg

Kava Curious
How does strength change after it has been harvested? I can't imagine it gets stronger. Does it degrade uniformly or does the chemotype change?