What's new

Reverse Tolerance based on kavalactone profile?

Idgie

Kava Enthusiast
Just curious - if you have been drinking high 'dhm' type kava (I hope I'm getting these letters right, ha)... would you still be building up tolerance to a high kavain type kava?

Or - would you need to drink multiple sessions of the kavain kava to build up tolerance to that strain?

Newbies want to know.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Good question. I have a hypothesis...

I think maybe if you just drink one type of kava, say all high DHM varieties, then switching to high kavain varieties will hit you harder in general. The idea being your body is used to having the kavalactone compounds already so switching it up so dramatically like this throws your system a fast curve ball.

Thinking back, different types of kava felt more intense after having one kind for a couple months then switching to a totally different variety. That's what I'm basing my thoughts on. I personally don't think it matters that much. Then again, I just drink the stuff I don't ex-pur-rum-mint a whole lot with it.(smiley: grin)

mos3z

Kava Enthusiast
Personally I think this is true. I had only been drinking high kavain strains, then when I tried chief jungle I had zero effect and everyone says that one is supposed to be crazy. Same with ISA (i think that's DHM too)

Ozzyfan121

Pretentious, Wannabe Philosopher
I'm inclined to agree with Vekta on this one. Most people have the whole reverse tolerance phenomenon; but I've noticed that after one gets through that period, it is possible to build a regular tolerance--at least in my experience. After using copious amounts of CO2 extract and fu'u daily for a month, they start to lose their impact. After either taking a break for a few days or switching strains--like Vekta said--the magic returns.