What's new

Fresh Kava Root Review Review: Fresh frozen Papa'Ele'ele

Stefan

Kava Curious
cpReview
{"Grade":8,"Potency":8,"Mind":8,"Body":4,"Anxiety":8,"Sedative":6,"Taste":"9","Preparation":"Blended in lukewarm water with 2grams of nonflavored coconut-oil for 2 minutes","Duration":"30 minutes intense 3 hours relaxed","SideEffects":"Thirst for more","Headline":"Fresh Papa'Ele'ele review"}
Today I had the honor of trying some fresh kava a friend had forwarded to me due to regulations in the neighbouring country, and thought you guys might like a review. Luckily it arrived still icecold to Denmark so I was able to throw it in the freezer right away for storage.
I tried the Papa' Ele'ele which is a shortnoded, purple and fairly specled Hawaiian cultivar from Pu'u O Hoku ranch.
It came in pulp and I blended it with a few grams of coconutfat for a few minutes. The taste was really something else with this, smooth, notes of cucumbers and cinnamon and creamy without it being nauseating in the slightest. Something you could actually enjoy sipping on a hot summerday and the effects we're subtle at first but then I found myself daydreaming, feeling relaxed with a slight euforia then started doing my chores of the day without the usual sluggishness I can get from some kava's.
I can only describe the difference as to fresh ginger-tea versus dried gingerroots. The basic flavor is still there in the dried and the taste can differ a lot from how well it is dried, although the fruity and complex taste you get from freshly made gingerjuice is more refreshing while the dried easily can be a bit harsh and too parfumy for most peoples taste. Fresh kava also separates with a starchy bottom that almost becomes solid when sitting a few minutes just like ginger does, which could be the reason the slimy hibiscusbark traditionally was used to disperse the lactones and starch more into the liquid, was my first guess.
Back in the 1800's Hawaiian awa' got a kind of bad reputation as reflected in the article attached here from the Samoan Times. Most likely it has to do with the Americans needing to downplay the cultural aspect of drinking kava in the Hawaiians as a means of cultural and economic takeover of the place back then. So here the author tried to explain that their ava' was different as to not fall under the same degree of slandering that was being displayed about kavadrinking in Hawaii. The writer states what most of us already know but I still find this description a delightful read:
“(..) kava is without a doubt the finest and most beneficial drink for the Tropics know. It “cuts” a thirts in the heat of the day like no other drink can ; it cools and refreshes ; and it stimulates without the reaction that ensues inevitably from the consumption of alcoholic liquors. Under it’s benign influnce the shadows of the soul disperse and enervation disappears. It is a gift of Divine Nature, for which in these tropical climes we ought to be thankful”
It seems to draw parallels to the fight for legitimacy of kava many here are working on now, due to the campaign agaist kava in the 90's. Back then they didn't want to be known, as too much of a lover-of the "savages" and their customs. Today people don't wan't to be known for unknowingly falling for just the latest dangerous healthtrend.
Then the writer sites how they were calling Hawaiian awa'drinking: "Mournful sodden, hope-killing drunkeness" And I've also seen texts calling out the "redeyed" kava-drinking natives as a sign of being primitives. Today they have and still are, calling kava the addicting liverdamaging new trend, that is endangering the naive youth, looking for alternatives, to the true culprit of dangers to the liver, alcohol.
There was absolutely no mournful soddenes after this ava' on the contrary, energetic, optimistic and serene feelings if any.
All in all I hope to see more fresh kavaproducts being available in the near future as they sure make it hard to discredit it for the taste if anything being the obstacle for this to get a wider adaptation.
Thanks to Michael Nielsen for having me try out a little sneakpeak of your order!

Attachments

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Today I had the honor of trying some fresh kava a friend had forwarded to me due to regulations in the neighbouring country, and thought you guys might like a review. Luckily it arrived still icecold to Denmark so I was able to throw it in the freezer right away for storage.
I tried the Papa' Ele'ele which is a shortnoded, purple and fairly specled Hawaiian cultivar from Pu'u O Hoku ranch.
It came in pulp and I blended it with a few grams of coconutfat for a few minutes. The taste was really something else with this, smooth, notes of cucumbers and cinnamon and creamy without it being nauseating in the slightest. Something you could actually enjoy sipping on a hot summerday and the effects we're subtle at first but then I found myself daydreaming, feeling relaxed with a slight euforia then started doing my chores of the day without the usual sluggishness I can get from some kava's.
I can only describe the difference as to fresh ginger-tea versus dried gingerroots. The basic flavor is still there in the dried and the taste can differ a lot from how well it is dried, although the fruity and complex taste you get from freshly made gingerjuice is more refreshing while the dried easily can be a bit harsh and too parfumy for most peoples taste. Fresh kava also separates with a starchy bottom that almost becomes solid when sitting a few minutes just like ginger does, which could be the reason the slimy hibiscusbark traditionally was used to disperse the lactones and starch more into the liquid, was my first guess.
Back in the 1800's Hawaiian awa' got a kind of bad reputation as reflected in the article attached here from the Samoan Times. Most likely it has to do with the Americans needing to downplay the cultural aspect of drinking kava in the Hawaiians as a means of cultural and economic takeover of the place back then. So here the author tried to explain that their ava' was different as to not fall under the same degree of slandering that was being displayed about kavadrinking in Hawaii. The writer states what most of us already know but I still find this description a delightful read:
“(..) kava is without a doubt the finest and most beneficial drink for the Tropics know. It “cuts” a thirts in the heat of the day like no other drink can ; it cools and refreshes ; and it stimulates without the reaction that ensues inevitably from the consumption of alcoholic liquors. Under it’s benign influnce the shadows of the soul disperse and enervation disappears. It is a gift of Divine Nature, for which in these tropical climes we ought to be thankful”
It seems to draw parallels to the fight for legitimacy of kava many here are working on now, due to the campaign agaist kava in the 90's. Back then they didn't want to be known, as too much of a lover-of the "savages" and their customs. Today people don't wan't to be known for unknowingly falling for just the latest dangerous healthtrend.
Then the writer sites how they were calling Hawaiian awa'drinking: "Mournful sodden, hope-killing drunkeness" And I've also seen texts calling out the "redeyed" kava-drinking natives as a sign of being primitives. Today they have and still are, calling kava the addicting liverdamaging new trend, that is endangering the naive youth, looking for alternatives, to the true culprit of dangers to the liver, alcohol.
There was absolutely no mournful soddenes after this ava' on the contrary, energetic, optimistic and serene feelings if any.
All in all I hope to see more fresh kavaproducts being available in the near future as they sure make it hard to discredit it for the taste if anything being the obstacle for this to get a wider adaptation.
Thanks to Michael Nielsen for having me try out a little sneakpeak of your order!
I moved your review to the right folder, here you have a chance to add more details.

As a recommendation, you should make some without any flavor mixes to truly appreciate the Fresh difference.. ;)

Stefan

Kava Curious
I moved your review to the right folder, here you have a chance to add more details.

As a recommendation, you should make some without any flavor mixes to truly appreciate the Fresh difference.. ;)
Ah thanks, didn't see the feature there. I've tried without any flavor or addings before but wanted just a little bit of fat to get the most out of the pulpy fibers. The flavor is really something, even cucumbers don't taste that much like cucumbers as I remember them fresh of the stalk in my moms greenhouse