What's new

Review of Papa Kea

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User01

Last week I reviewed Papa Ele Ele Puu Puu Ole Ole Wully Bully and I liked it. Today I'm reviewing PapaKea and I can tell you right now, I like this better. My reviews are different than most so here it goes.

Woke up at 6:00 in the morning, very sore from gardening on Saturday, but my favorite song is playing in my subconscious ("Lifes Been Good to Me So Far"). That song plays when I make home brew but today it's playing because I'm making a new Kava that I have never had before. I'm excited. So I made a small pot of Hawaiian Mokka coffee and got ready to prepare the equally Hawaiian Papa Kea.

17.5 oz of Coconut Water (1 can).
6 oz. of Water
.75 cup of PapaKea
Heat Liquid to 130.
Three rounds of blending while I run around making coffee, getting the newspaper and so on.
Now dump into the strainer.
(At this point, I'm looking at the Grog and its almost the color of milk. Maybe Beige at best. It smells a little nutty and grassy at the time time.
Awww, but once I knead it that will change, right?)
Knead for 5 minutes.
It's still the color of beige milk. Whooppee, a Mixologist dream, I can finally make a Kava Kocktail out of powder that won't be the color of Muddy Water.
Pour into 16 oz bottle.
Make a second wash with leftover tea and a little bit more water. 6 oz of second wash.
I will review the second wash, that may not be fair to the first wash, but tough Kava Kookies.

Now for the fun part. My wife and I spent 3 more hours gardening this morning and I hurt all over. I had lunch at 1:15 (fried chicken), it's 2:45 and I'm ready. This time I'm going to drink my Kava on the recliner and give the Kava a chance to talk to me. My reviews always suck because I never feel the body effects because I'm working on the computer. So here it goes:

Sip of the Second Wash (about 6 oz) it's ok. It has a nutty taste but a tiny bitter after taste (duh, its Kava). I add a Tablespoon of frozen Colada Mix and 3 small Ice cubes. Tastes much better but still a little bitter at the finish. Light flashes in my mind. I add a good squeeze of Lemon into the mix. Bingo, now the bitter after taste is the Lemon, not the Kava. Now I'm sitting on the couch sipping my Kolada Kolored Kava out of a big Coffee Mug and watching the basketball game. My lips, tongue, mouth and my whole throat are numb. I'm finally feeling the melting of the muscles, sweet lord that feels good. I really, really needed that (no my wife doesn't do Kava or Alc). I'm having trouble focusing on the game but who cares away. I'm having trouble typing this review for that matter.

This is a Gourmet Kava and it's my new favorite .... hands down. I got on the GHK web Site and the PEEPP (OOWB) was rated at around 15 percent Kavalactones and this one was rated at around 22 percent. The word Analgesic comes to mind while drinking this. It's a very potent Kava. And now a new song is playing in my mind, "Born in the USA, Born in the USA". Yep folks, this Kava was grown in the USA and its as good or better than anything I have had before. Now back to the recliner for another mug and some more muscle melt.

Last edited by a moderator:

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Wow. Papa Kea is the most interesting of Chris' varieties for me - but I didn't think he had any to sell at the moment?

D

Deleted User01

Wow. Papa Kea is the most interesting of Chris' varieties for me - but I didn't think he had any to sell at the moment?
I knew this was going to happen. A few weeks past, Chris read my posts where I was complaining about the muddy color of my (powder) Kava Kocktails and I was begging for something that was lighter in color and of course more mellow in taste. He sent me a "sample" which was just enough for my experiment. He promises that his "crop" is almost ready. Hey, I got Dibs on the first bag!

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
I got SECONDS!!!:D This sounds like the kava my dreams are made of..mild tasting AND muscle melting:eek:..Hallelujah!!:mad::love:

D

Deleted User01

KavaGurl, I was thinking about you when I started feeling the effects. I can't wait to hear your take on it. My other favorite part was being able to "sip" the Kava with ice and the concentrated cocktail mix. It's just more relaxing than holding your nose and trying to horse down 4 oz. before you gag. One more thing, I have no pain this morning. My wife cannot say the same. I also did my Yoga Stretches last night so that may have helped too. Just trying to put all the facts out there. I'm saving the leftover PapaKea Grog for our next gardening session so I can verify the results.

D

Deleted User01

Chef B, I was thinking you might be able to use this Kava as a base for your "Kava Karamel Almond Joy" drink. That would be a heck of a weekend treat but I'm afraid one of those would be the limit. You could use ice cubes made of chocolate syrup and coconut mild. Lord have mercy .....

HerbalDude420

Mr True Colors
I got 4ths, I have been looking for a strong Hawaiian variety they only ones i have tried were from HKC their Nene and Pana'ewa. I had no effect from Nene and little effect from Pana'ewa. But give me any Vanuatu or Fijian kava and i can get some effects.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I will have some of this on my website later this week. :nailbiting::)
I will also have 1 maybe 2 other varieties ready by then.
Hay HerbalDude420 the 'Awa Nene is a known weak variety, they actually used it for the children in some old Hawaiian text and stories.
Aloha.

Chris

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
@Deleted User01 that's awesome! I'm so sore today myself..ugh..they murdalized me at work last night..It sounds on point for what i be needin'.(y)..Yeah I really do enjoy taking it nice and slow with my kava too..if possible so I'm really excited about this!:woot::X3:

D

Deleted User01

Deleted User01 says in his Arnold the Terminator Voice:
Yaw, Awa Nene is only for girlie men. PapaKea with pump you up. :ROFLMAO:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi HerbalDude420, my medium grind, like the Papa Kea is between $60 and $70 per pound sometimes cheaper, it depends on the quantity of the kava, the potency (total kavalactone content) and the effects (the chemotype).
The total kavalactone content will make the kava more potent but it is the chemotype that tells us what the effect might be like. The effects we get from kava come from the synergy effect that all the kavakactones have a long with all the other active ingredients, it is not just the 6 major kavalactones but the full spectrum and the individual amount of each kavalactone which is the Chemotype.
Aloha.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.