What's new

Rookie Questions

StarDustin

Kava Curious
So my order first order of good Kava from Bula Kava house is going to be here very soon. I also bought a fijian strainer bag.

Now in terms of preparing the Kava when I get it, do I really need to add soy and a blender , or can I just put the Kava into the bag into a bowl of 'tropical warm' water and then knead for 15 minutes? (I have been doing my homework :pompus:)

First off what is soy lecithin and where the heck do I get it? Also I do not have a blender, is it worth buying one for this?

Thanks!

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Some folks use soy milks. But proceed with your method, that will work fine. Much love. Roaddog....

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
So my order first order of good Kava from Bula Kava house is going to be here very soon. I also bought a fijian strainer bag.

Now in terms of preparing the Kava when I get it, do I really need to add soy and a blender , or can I just put the Kava into the bag into a bowl of 'tropical warm' water and then knead for 15 minutes? (I have been doing my homework :pompus:)

First off what is soy lecithin and where the heck do I get it? Also I do not have a blender, is it worth buying one for this?

Thanks!
Sorry to answer a question with another question, but which post are you referring to about using soy and a blender??

In short my answer is that you don't knead either of those (pun intended because it's a holiday weekend :) ). Just the warm water is fine. The lecithin is supposedly used to help potentiate the kava by helping it emulsify in the water. Some people think it works but there are many others that don't think it helps much at all. What I think is a way better potentiate of kava is to first consume your grog on an empty stomach, then afterwards consume a little of something fatty. My favorite is bacon. Then it's my belief that your gut will do a much better job than the lecithin will. ::happyshell::

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast

Thanks!
As I mentioned before, I've tried just about everything. To me, just using room temp water and kneading the kava seems to produce just as good of results as anything else. But it seems the mileage varies for different folks, so probably you'll need to just start trying various methods that you can learn about here and see which one works best for you.

StarDustin

Kava Curious

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Kona Kava Farm?

Meh, there is a reason why they don't have a sub forum here. Some people add the soy or coconut milk, some don't.

I did for a while but it didn't do much for me. Try it out for yourself. It won't hurt anything. Coconut milk is probably less of a hassle to get.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Thanks for the fast replies, you guys are mighty helpful. Looks like all I will need is a bowl and water.

I accept your apology. ;) To answer the question you asked about my question, I was reading this page which suggested using a blender and soy.

http://www.konakavafarm.com/articles/how-to-make-kava-drink.html
Gotcha!! Like @Hyperion said, people react to the kava in different ways. We're kind of like kava snowflakes, everyone is unique. So start with the basics then start experimenting, and like me you'll soon find your way to your personal preference for consumption.

Also, if you do try lecithin, look into using different kinds of lecithin. It's made from different plants and some people are allergic to soy. @violet or @BULABUCK would know way more about this than me.::happyshell::

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Kona Kava Farm?

Meh, there is a reason why they don't have a sub forum here. Some people add the soy or coconut milk, some don't.

I did for a while but it didn't do much for me. Try it out for yourself. It won't hurt anything. Coconut milk is probably less of a hassle to get.
I've tried coconut oil, coconut milk, this and that, and the only thing any of it did for me was make the kava taste worse. I'm not saying it doesn't work for some people, but for me, it didn't make any difference in quality/potency.

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Has anyone tried honey as a mix/flavour? Remember i have yet to try and taste and am still waiting on my first order. People really seem to not enjoy the taste.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Has anyone tried honey as a mix/flavour? Remember i have yet to try and taste and am still waiting on my first order. People really seem to not enjoy the taste.
No actually a very small minority, dose enjoy the taste. If you ask me, and your looking for sweet, Honey will do. But really the goal, is to out power the taste. Anyway your putting way to much into taste. You will be able to get it down. That's all that really matters. With practice, you will be able to slam a quart, of stained grog, with 12 tablespoons worth of dried root, in one gulp. Like I did this evening. I gulped, farted, snorted, and spit. Then I logged into the Forums. I'm a Lion, hear me Roar. Much love. Roaddog....

violet

Do all things with love
Never tried honey, but the expectations you have of what the taste will be like aren't your based on your own experience, so you might as well go naked for the first round. I was worried myself when I first started with kava and put caramel coffee syrup into some poorly strained BKH Boroguru to put the whole pint down at once. After the first few times I went without and found it really wasn't as bad as I had made it out to be in my mind, actually better without the syrup.

Chilling it well blunts the taste, I also used to add a T of heavy cream to my grog, smoothed out the bitterness really well. If I don't want to taste the kava, I chill it, take a breath, chug it, then rinse, gargle and spit with something fizzy before taking a couple of mouth breaths. Over time I think I've gotten used to the taste of most kava, drinking milder tasting kavas rid me of the anxiety of having to get the grog down, now I drink any kava still warm from squeezing.

Using an emulsifier like lecithin or a mixer is usually just personal preference, most of us have found using mixers and emulsifiers doesn't change the potency the kava drink.

Welcome and happy grogging :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Over time I think I've gotten used to the taste of most kava, drinking milder tasting kavas rid me of the anxiety of having to get the grog down, now I drink any kava still warm from squeezing.
Agreed, when the anxiety of drinking kava goes away it opens up an even deeper dimension of anxiolytic action.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Ya, @shakas wheres that old video, of the dude From Venuatu, dinking a shell Like a true tribesman. He was spitting and hollering. Ho, here I found it. It reminds me how I feel after slamming a quart. Ya all feel me. Much love. Roaddog....

Kava_newbie

Mi Kava, su Kava
Cool, I don't doubt I'll be able to get it down, I'm not really too concerned over the taste, more curious is all. Thanks guys.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Yes. There is not anything that has ever been known to humankind that I have NOT put into kava in a desperate and ill fated attempt to make it taste better, and all of it was FAIL. Ginger ale as a chaser is your best bet, IMHO.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
Ya, @shakas wheres that old video, of the dude From Venuatu, dinking a shell Like a true tribesman. He was spitting and hollering. Ho, here I found it. It reminds me how I feel after slamming a quart. Ya all feel me. Much love. Roaddog....

So, if I start hollering and spittin every time that I slam a shell, how long until I get a body like this dude?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Yes. There is not anything that has ever been known to humankind that I have NOT put into kava in a desperate and ill fated attempt to make it taste better, and all of it was FAIL. Ginger ale as a chaser is your best bet, IMHO.
Well I tried making some kava the traditional way, then took my grog and blended it with a fairly ripe banana. I thought it tasted pretty good, and thought I found the answer to all my problems, until I found out how many carbs are in a banana :wideyed: (I'm on a low carb diet to reduce sugar). And then, just to top it off, I got so much gas from the combo that I had to buy a "No Open Flames within 50 feet" sign and wear it for the rest of the day. :nailbiting:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
So, if I start hollering and spittin every time that I slam a shell, how long until I get a body like this dude?
I'm sure it would take some time. You would really need to live there, eat there diet, work, there work, and all that. I do notice all the pictures of Vanuatu People, seem very fit, and muscular. Much love. Roaddog....