What's new

I love Kava Salutations!

I'm new here, so let me introduce myself. I'm a west coast septuagenerian, and I've been using Kava (whenever it was available) since it first became popular in North America, in the 90s iirc. I use it in fairly large doses for depression as well as anxiety. I find it really good for depression; I am unable to take most of the standard prescription antidepressants because of side-effects, so this aspect of kava's action is very welcome. I understand a couple of its component lactones are MAOIs, so it makes sense that it should be an antidepressant, like some of the early medications. My depression is mixed with anxiety (the combination is sometimes illogically called atypical depression—it's the commonest form!), so kava is ideal for me. And of course I I take it because I like how it makes me feel.

I take 250 or 400 mg capsules rated 30% kavalactones, 6 to 9 capsules two to three times daily. I find that taking the capsules as such doesn't work for me, or works so slowly I don't perceive it, so I almost always empty the caps into instant coffee or cocoa--I'll leave the details for the Preparation section, but I am curious: have other members experienced a similar effect, i.e capsules don't work but a prepared drink does?

I am looking forward to exploring these forums. May the goddess of beneficial plants be with you!

--Tony

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
have other members experienced a similar effect, i.e capsules don't work but a prepared drink does?
Oh you've touched on a topic that has haunted us since the beginning. Kava extracts just seem to lack a certain "something" that IS present in the powders. We figure there is a component of kava that is not necessarily being extracted with these polar solvents and are changing the experience of kava in the process.

Also, welcome! Very glad to have you with us. A friend of kava is a friend to us.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Have you tried preparing the traditional beverage with dry or fresh kava?
My experience, which goes back quite a long time, is that the beverage is the best method
for a wholistic experience. There are some benefits which, I believe, are lost in translation
to non-aqueous extracts such as capsules.

yestothat

Kava Curious
I'm new here, so let me introduce myself. I'm a west coast septuagenerian, and I've been using Kava (whenever it was available) since it first became popular in North America, in the 90s iirc. I use it in fairly large doses for depression as well as anxiety. I find it really good for depression; I am unable to take most of the standard prescription antidepressants because of side-effects, so this aspect of kava's action is very welcome. I understand a couple of its component lactones are MAOIs, so it makes sense that it should be an antidepressant, like some of the early medications. My depression is mixed with anxiety (the combination is sometimes illogically called atypical depression—it's the commonest form!), so kava is ideal for me. And of course I I take it because I like how it makes me feel.

I take 250 or 400 mg capsules rated 30% kavalactones, 6 to 9 capsules two to three times daily. I find that taking the capsules as such doesn't work for me, or works so slowly I don't perceive it, so I almost always empty the caps into instant coffee or cocoa--I'll leave the details for the Preparation section, but I am curious: have other members experienced a similar effect, i.e capsules don't work but a prepared drink does?

I am looking forward to exploring these forums. May the goddess of beneficial plants be with you!

--Tony
I've had a similar experience. Capsules and tinctures don't do anything for me... Good luck!

PapaCthulu

Kava Lover
I have had some success with kava extract pastes, but it pails in comparison to the real thing. The effects are always lacking but discreet when I go see family and won't have a lot of privacy. I don't feel like explaining kava to my church of God grandma. I don't know where in Cali you are, but there may be a kava bar or two in your neck of the woods you could try so long as you are not out in the sticks and want to try the real thing.

Also welcome! We love newcomers!