What's new

Scientific paper about kava in Kiribati atolls

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Google: "Rapid Prevalence of Kava-Drinking in Kiribati"
(Author: Kazuhiro Kazama)

TLDR: Kiribati citizens have begun to use kava kava in the XXI century.

Note: prevalence of vitamin B1 deficiency disease has risen because of that, more refined rice and less yeast alcohol.

"Abstract
Until recently, kava, a psychoactive drink used in the Pacific region, was unknown in Kiribati, where the plant cannot grow given the severe ecological conditions of atolls; but in recent years, kava has rapidly become a popular beverage there. Kiribati people have incorporated kava into their daily activities, transforming a foreign drinking habit into one that is acceptable to them. The process of its introduction has moreover transformed their daily lives. In this paper, I discuss the reasons why kava-drinking has been readily accepted in Kiribati, comparing the situation with the cases of other Pacific Islands where people have cultivated and consumed it as a beverage. It is certain that the communal aspect of kava-drinking is significant in most places where it is imbibed, recently including Kiribati. For Kiribati people, kava-drinking has become familiar under the imagined Pacific socio-cultural commensurability that has been constructed in the course of their history, in contrast to the incommensurable West."

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack3

Kava Curious
Has thiamin deficiency been observed in any other kava drinking cultures? According to kava fact of the day, essentially all health problems attributed to kava are the result of other factors. B complex supplementation—especially methylated B complex—is generally recommended for everyone, but particularly vegans. I did find out that wakame, a type of seaweed, actually contains B12. One would have to chew for 30 seconds because B12 is not absorbed by the gut but only sublingual.

Most of what I’m finding about kava seems better and better. Well substantiated anxiolytic effects and sedation, promising results for muscle relaxation, some clinical support as a helpful agent in the treatment of Epstein-Barr virus (like mono), one mouse study suggesting benefits for dementia, and evidence for protection from cancer. Kava fact of the day is my main source and a secondary source is kava guides

There are some highly intelligent individuals who are well organized and have exceptional research skills on this forum. I’ve seen quite a few citations and excerpts from scientific literature.

So far, the unfavorable qualities of kava are primarily nausea and loss of balance and coordination for me, personally. Another effect I don’t like is that my natural desire for romantic companionship grows stronger. I like the empathogenic quality and the desire to connect, but have to work to keep that open and flexible rather than centered around romance.

I have chronic active Epstein-Barr which can be sexually transmitted through prolonged contact with any bodily fluids, so even kissing might mean the woman in question could end up feeling tired, stressed, irritable, worried, depressed, and in pain most all day every day as I do. I would have trouble living with myself if that happened.