What's new

Second wash with blender method?

mczonie

I use the blender method. Is it worth it to run my grounds through the blender a second time? I mean, it seems like the blender method would be so efficient that there's hardly any kavalactones left after the first wash. So is it worth it, or should I just throw the grounds out after the first wash?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I use the blender method. Is it worth it to run my grounds through the blender a second time? I mean, it seems like the blender method would be so efficient that there's hardly any kavalactones left after the first wash. So is it worth it, or should I just throw the grounds out after the first wash?
It depends how strong the kava is. Some will benefit from multiple washes or at least 2, other cheaper kavas may be one and done. I like to add 10-15 grams to second washes for an extra umph! So that may be something to try.

If not adding extra powder, do a second wash using less water.

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
Tried the blender method once. That was the first time drinking kava, which unknown to me at the time was two-day from Kona Kava (LOL?). I since use traditional prep methods with two washes, 5 minutes each. Any more washes, IMHO, is not worth the trouble, and by that time I don't feel like fooling with it anymore anyway.

Forretressqt

Kava Curious
I made a post on reddit sometime ago about something similar; I’ve found that traditional prep followed by blender for second wash to be noticably better than blender the first time.