What's new

See what Happens when folks don't drink their Kava.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
1545189_10151902806219677_203241932_n.jpg

On Jan. 17, 1893, Queen Lili`uokalani of the independent kingdom of Hawai`i was overthrown as she was arrested at gunpoint by U.S. Marines. American businessmen..., particularly sugar plantation owners, led by Lorrin Thurston, had supported annexation of the islands to the United States. The Queen had been working on a new constitution that would restore voting rights to native Hawaiians.
A new provisional government was installed with Sanford B. Dole as president. The troops had landed the day before, providing support "to protect American lives and property." In 1898, Pres. William McKinley signed a joint resolution of Congress authorizing the annexation. For lessons and a film, see: http://zinnedproject.org/posts/tag/hawaii
[Description from http://www.peacebuttons.info/.]
See if us Americans would have only been drinking more kava, all of this could be avoided. Also I thought everyone would like a little History lesson. Much Love Roaddog....

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
As sad and tragic as those events were, when I look at some of the "independent" states in the South Pacific, I often wonder if full independence has really been a great thing for them. Naturally, I fully support equal rights of all men and women, but I think some of these small island states can benefit from closer association with larger states.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
As sad and tragic as those events were, when I look at some of the "independent" states in the South Pacific, I often wonder if full independence has really been a great thing for them. Naturally, I fully support equal rights of all men and women, but I think some of these small island states can benefit from closer association with larger states.
Ya, Good point. But I'm not sure more, is always better. I mean, sure we bring some good stuff to Hawaii. But also we bring a lot of bad stuff. I suppose the mind set back then was, America, needed a Army base, in the south Pacific, to give Japan something to bomb. Also I believe it was all about population, and religious converting, to Christianity. I feel its no different than what the US, did to the Native Americans. I guess we have a long history of just taking what we want, as a country. Guess there is 2 sides to every story. I'm sure the Hawaiian folks Like there Satalight television, and High speed internet. But I just wonder does better access to things, make folks Happy?

Anyway, My main point was to show, that Hawaii was once ran by a queen. (way cool for womens rights)(Talk about equal pay. LOL) See kava is the cure all. Much Love Roaddog....

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Ya, Good point. But I'm not sure more, is always better. I mean, sure we bring some good stuff to Hawaii. But also we bring a lot of bad stuff. I suppose the mind set back then was, America, needed a Army base, in the south Pacific, to give Japan something to bomb. Also I believe it was all about population, and religious converting, to Christianity. I feel its no different than what the US, did to the Native Americans. I guess we have a long history of just taking what we want, as a country. Guess there is 2 sides to every story. I'm sure the Hawaiian folks Like there Satalight television, and High speed internet. But I just wonder does better access to things, make folks Happy?

Anyway, My main point was to show, that Hawaii was once ran by a queen. (way cool for womens rights)(Talk about equal pay. LOL) See kava is the cure all. Much Love Roaddog....
Good points. I guess what I meant was that being associated with (but maybe not necessarily annexed by) a larger country can mean more freedom and opportunities. It makes it easier to travel, trade ,etc. The real problem is when all the land and natural resources go into the hands of some small minority (foreign or local) and then the local people are really screwed. But as long as they can retain access to the natural opportunities of their land, being linked to a bigger country can be helpful.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Ya, @Henry , I agree. I mean, we can see how, islands Like Haitian Island, Jamaica, are, and there our next door neighbor. Also Venautu, has struggled too. So you are right, goods and services are more readily available, when a small independent Island, becomes part of a super power country. But I would assume, that it really matters the super power. I can tell you this. You don't want Russia grabbing you up. better to be the US, Or UK. we tend to be a little friendlier, these days, for the most part. Sorry If I pissed off any Russians. I haven't even got started on north Korea. I wonder if you can order Kava in North Korea, or Russia, China, Japan, and all those Muslim countries? Much love Roaddog....

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Queen Lili'uokalini's ancestors stole the land from the Menehune. Poor Menehune.
menehune.jpg

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Yea, I guess it's not only a matter of being associated with or annexed by ANY large country, but also what country does the annexation :).
I think kava might be 100% legal in North Korea. Sometime ago I read that even weed is 100% legal there:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/08/m********-in-north-korea_n_4067341.html
http://www.vice.com/read/north-korea-is-stoned-all-the-time-which-explains-a-lot
That's pretty cool. Great answer to my question.

Queen Lili'uokalini's ancestors stole the land from the Menehune. Poor Menehune.
About time, my fellow history buff chimed in. I made this post, thinking of you shakes. Thanks for even going farther back in History. Maybe we should give Hawaii back to the Menehune. But the problem there is, they are know Hawaiians.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I wonder if there's an alternate universe in which Hawai'i ends up pretty much like the Marshall Islands. It would have been too strategic for the US to not maintain some kind of presence there even if they never annexed it.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I wonder if there's an alternate universe in which Hawai'i ends up pretty much like the Marshall Islands. It would have been too strategic for the US to not maintain some kind of presence there even if they never annexed it.
I guess Hawaii is too big for such an arrangement. Perhaps the Puerto Rico model could be more feasible? If it hadn't been annexed by the US it would have probably been conquered by Imperial Japan. It's difficult to speculate though. Too many "ifs".

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Yes, the conversation, has come, to deep thought. Its just interesting, how history seems to repeat itself. Every civilization, seems to rise and fall. Basicly the concurred, end up joining the concurrers. Guess its the natural order of things. But thank goodness, we still have good Quality Hawaiian, Kava. Especialy good ol @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava . Which I am enjoying some Mahakea, this evening. Maybe that's what made me make this post. Just felt the Aloha, mood. Much Love Roaddog....

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
[QUOTE="Roaddog, I wonder if you can order Kava in China,[/QUOTE]

After seeing this picture video I now know how the cement gets into the kava and I would not want to get any kava from China, check this out---
Aloha.

Chris

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
They really use this stuff for kava grinding? :(
Looks like a spam video. I'm sure kava is cut with stuff after the grinding process, if it is at all.

However having seen some of the conditions kava is prepared under I'm guessing most of us wouldn't be very impressed if we got a detailed look at how most kava is processed.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Looks like a spam video. I'm sure kava is cut with stuff after the grinding process, if it is at all.

However having seen some of the conditions kava is prepared under I'm guessing most of us wouldn't be very impressed if we got a detailed look at how most kava is processed.
Yes, you are probably right. At the same time there is always a possibility that some impurities get into the powder during the grinding process if the equipment used for grinding kava is also used for other purposes.

While adding aerial parts of kava or mixing tudei with noble unfortunately do not seem to be rare practices, cutting kava with cement or flour most certainly only takes place in locations where people are desperate to get it and have no legal or proper ways of accessing the good stuff.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Sorry, but I am firmly in the "there is never an excuse for colonialism" camp.

In the end, you have power and you have domination. The dominated always end up with unbearable obstacles - mental, physical, political. There are some examples of former colonies pulling themselves up, but it is definitely the exception.

Also, remember that most independent South Pacific nations were colonized before they became independent. And there is still American Samoa which is definitely no beacon of light.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Sorry, but I am firmly in the "there is never an excuse for colonialism" camp.
Nobody here is making any excuses for colonialism, so your noble admission is misplaced. What we are discussing here is patterns for political self-governance and not whether it was good for any Europeans to show up in the Pacific. The question is not whether it was good for the Europeans to arrive, but what should the islands of the South Pacific have done when they were given the options to determine their political futures.