What's new

Kava Botany SEX!

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Jk
Does the fact that kava can't reproduce mean that there are only a certain amount of strains that do and ever will exist ?
How can you further develop strains without reproduction ?

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Jk
Does the fact that kava can't reproduce mean that there are only a certain amount of strains that do and ever will exist ?
How can you further develop strains without reproduction ?
We've had these discussions before, but I don't remember any conclusive answer. My personal opinion is that GMO techniques would be a way to do it.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
There has to be growing methods atleast to alter KL content ect. Rather than just increase or decrease.
Like increasing terpenes for cannabis by simulating a bug attack .ect.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
There has to be growing methods atleast to alter KL content ect. Rather than just increase or decrease.
Like increasing terpenes for cannabis by simulating a bug attack .ect.
Isn't selective breeding a form of GMO? I'm not claiming it is, I'm no expert and just don't know. Maybe it's called genetic selection.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
That's semantics and I personally have no clue either :p!
But I do know there is a big difference between artifical GMO, and selective breeding. Taking the example of say a genetically altered chicken that's buff... and say a dog ... oddly enough idk why dogs can reproduce yet kava cant. Since they were made in the "same way"?
All very fascinating ! But I definitley recognize a difference and I assume many others share that recognition.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I elaborated poorly.
A dog is a naturally selected wolf.
A GMO animal in the other sense has been shown to be problematic. In what ways I personally don't know.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Who wants chickens with bones? Support gmo ::kavaleaf::
just a question.... If you take a packet of seeds from let's say a tomato plant and plant each seed in different environments and nutrients, then harvest only the ones that are closest to the end result you're looking for, isn't that a form of gmo?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
All you can do with kava is wait for a mutation to happen, notice it, decide if you like the mutation and replant cuttings if you do.
It's likely that there are other ways to fiddle with the kavalactones with certain growing tricks, but I don't think it's been
studied enough...and since kava is 3-5 yr crop it makes trying this-n-that a slow process to see the outcome.
I've heard about plants grown under different wavelengths of light having different proportions of chemicals/nutrients when mature,
I'd be interested to see someone take on that project with kava plants to see how they get affected.

I'd totally be interested in GMO kava, because you could hypothetically create a robust, fast growing, high kavalactone, pest resistant strain.
But if you did create that, you would basically be the kava master and it would probably cut drastically into the kava export that helps keep many South Pacific peoples afloat.
I do believe GMO isn't much different than selective breeding, it can just take things farther and faster than selective breeding, so quickly that we might not recognize possible negative effects immediately.

In terms of animals, a dog is the product of human's selectively breeding wolves...natural selection is the much slower process that led some prehistoric Canidae to eventually being a Wolf. GMO is capable of doing stuff humans normally wouldn't be able to accomplish, like insert jellyfish DNA into a dog and make their fur glow.
Scientists have done this to rabbits, it's pretty awesome, I can't recall if it affected the health of the animal though. There was also a european country that was going to GMO the trees that line the street with jellyfish dna, to make the trees glow at night. GMO street light jellyfish trees. I like it.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Not really.
In my opinion. Your modifying the market but not the genetics.
To modify genetics you'd have to be eliminating the ones that don't fit your need completley. Or else they linger and can pollinate your "purer" ones to the sense that your looking for.
Take cannabis for example.
If I'm trying to create a high cbd strain, I'm not gonna just harvest the cbd ones. That's just affecting the market. To really do it I would have to keep breeding my strain with high cbds and keep eliminating anything from the garden that is low cbd, lest it pollinate my baby and the next generation is lower again. To do this to a whole population you HAVE to eliminate the "bad" ones. Atleast for that particularly

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah I don't trust that the people doing this are going to take into account the entire community of dna that's been created over billions of years being swooped and switched in under 100 .

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Isn't selective breeding a form of GMO? I'm not claiming it is, I'm no expert and just don't know. Maybe it's called genetic selection.
Right. As a farmer I always do an epic face palm when people start talking about "GMOs." Theoretically every domesticated crop is a GMO. Farmers select for traits that they like. Populations select for traits they like.

The controversy is about gene splicing. Even then, there is no evidence that it is unhealthy. Could it cause noise within heirloom varieties? Sure.