What's new

Since citric acid changes the effects of kava, looking for something else to change the taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
I have found that mixing Crystal Light with kava makes it so much more bearable. On the other hand, I have heard that the citric acid either weakens the kavalactones (from the forums) or causes the kavalactones to be more sedating, as Mike from Kalm with Kava emailed me when I had a question about the concentrate: "The citric acid in the concentrate does alter the kavalactones a little by making the drink a little "heavier" or more of an afternoon/evening product as it does carry a little bit of sedating characteristics."

It seems that all juice has citric acid, so does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be mixed with kava to make the taste more bearable for those who don't like the taste of dirt? I tried using root beer as a chaser, but it makes me come across as a drunk. LOL.

verticity

I'm interested in things
As far as I know ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is suspected to have that effect, because it is a reducing agent. Citric acid I think is OK. (Citrate salts are also reducing agents, but I think they are weaker than ascorbic acid, so if there is sodium citrate in a mixture it might have some effect, but I don't the acidic form of citric acid would...)

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Coconut milk makes a very good chaser. I gag at the taste of many kava and juices help some but coconut milk seems to neutralize the after taste better than anything I've tried.

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
Good to know about the vit c; thanks a lot. I will have to try chocolate milk and coconut water, thanks as well.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Back when I couldn't stand the taste of kava I survived by prepping it with water and a little coconut milk, and then chasing with ginger beer.

Basically, try anything and everything till you find something that works for you. Different things work for different people.

Odourman

Skål from Sweden!
Ginger is very good. It's a digestive aid and remedy for upset stomach. It offers the benefit of restoring fluids to the body also when taken in a drink.

There is coca cola with ginger. It has no sugar, but it has coffeine.

Coca Cola is great for digestion. Coca Cola can take the rust of a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.