What's new

So does kava intoxicate the mind or not ?

I know that psychoactive does not mean intoxicating.Coffee, nicotine, etc are psychoactive but not intoxicating.I don't have much experience with kava because its not legal in my country, but in certain pharmacies I can find capsules that contain up to 60mg of kavalactones.I find that they greatly reduce my anxiety and I feel a little pressure (pleasant) in my head.I absolutely hate anything that intoxicates my mind and I can't find a final verdict on whether kava intoxicates the mind in higher doses, I know it affects your motor function, but most research says that kava actually sharpens the mind.So what do you all think ?

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Intoxication is defined as the state of being affected by psychoactive substances. I have always maintained that Kava is psychoactive - because, well, it is. I don’t see it as an inconvenient truth because it is both healthy and non-addictive. But it is definitely psychoactive because it affects the mind and mood. It helps you be introspective and sociable. I would also maintain that caffeine is very psychoactive, but also addictive.

Intoxication is used colloquially to mean that someone has taken a lot of something to the point of being noticeably affected by It. If I’ve had a lot of Kava it is not difficult to see that I have.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Never been one to chase a high. Every so often kava will give me a slight euphoric buzz and some ringing in the ears. The ringing is my kava song :) and is not annoying at all.

My brother, on the other hand, has pretty much tried everything and says it feels like a weak ecstasy when it hits. The key is when it hits and these moments can be rare.

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
Intoxication is defined as the state of being affected by psychoactive substances. I have always maintained that Kava is psychoactive - because, well, it is. I don’t see it as an inconvenient truth because it is both healthy and non-addictive. But it is definitely psychoactive because it affects the mind and mood. It helps you be introspective and sociable. I would also maintain that caffeine is very psychoactive, but also addictive.

Intoxication is used colloquially to mean that someone has taken a lot of something to the point of being noticeably affected by It. If I’ve had a lot of Kava it is not difficult to see that I have.
yeah in some of your old videos... lol

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
My brother, on the other hand, has pretty much tried everything and says it feels like a weak ecstasy when it hits.
I agree, that's a pretty accurate description for me as well. There are lot's of variables, my mood, type of kava (although I have that dialed in). I pretty much always get that euphoric rush..nothing beats it. It does wear off within 20-30 minutes and then I am left with a sense of peace, as if a wave washed over me.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
You will find many members here will describe feeling 'krunk', a sort of kava drunk, when larger doses are drunk. Now, you won't get the same loss of inhibition as alcohol but you will get wobbly and feel damn good.

Now i wouldn't say having a beer or two will leave you intoxicated, but having a twelve pack will. Same thing w/ kava to some extent.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
That’s a hard term to tack down. For me, kava is intoxicating primarily in the sense that it is mood altering. If it influences my behavior, that is based on my mood. My baseline can be a little bit negative, so this serves me on my life. I’m fully aware of the shift in mood though. It can be quite sedative under certain circumstances, so some could see sleepiness as intoxication. If you think about it caffeine can be intoxicating in the mood realm because it can change your attitude and perception (usually in a good way)

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Just my opinion, but I would say "no".
My reasoning is, because it helps feel a state of mind, more like "normalcy", like I think a person should feel, and not some kind of high.
But my thinking on that could be due to my previous state of mind, being extreme anxiety. So, instead of it lifting me way up, I think it lifts me from extreme anxiety to feeling somewhat normal