What's new

So glad Hawaii didn't get nuked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
I guess one of the alerts was a TV alert played over some prosvent? OTC drug or some such thing. I hope thats not the standard TV alert warning in hawaii.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I guess one of the alerts was a TV alert played over some prosvent? OTC drug or some such thing. I hope thats not the standard TV alert warning in hawaii.
Nah, that's just some guy dubbing over the governor's real voice. The gist of it is correct though: somebody sent out the wrong alert to all the cell phones in Hawaii. Almost 40 minutes went by before anybody announced that it was a mistake. Craziest 40 minutes since the Cuban Missile Crisis in the 1960's. Tourist spots emptied out. Twitter was overloaded. People calling their families telling them they love them and goodbye.

The Big Island is probably a lot safer than Oʻahu. No big population centers or military targets.

No idea what prosvent is. They going give the guy who messed up one free prostate exam?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I am actually a member of the emergency communication system set up here in Hawaii.The head of Civil Defense is an Amateur Radio Operator as is my wife and I and we knew about 5 min after the alert that it was a false alarm because of this system, it is all done with 2meter 144 Mhz Amateur Radio Equipment. So I was spreading the word on the 146.760 Mhz frequency that is was a false alarm, I did this for about 30 min or so and then things calmed down. As soon as I saw the TV had nothing on about this, I knew it was a false alarm. I mean the President and his military would know about a ballistic missile before Hawaii's Government would. It would have been an act of war and the news stations would have been all over it. I am glad it was a false alarm but some radio active Hawaiian 'Awa mutations would kick some butt I bet. :wideyed::ROFLMAO:
Aloha.

Chris

verticity

I'm interested in things
I am actually a member of the emergency communication system set up here in Hawaii.The head of Civil Defense is an Amateur Radio Operator as is my wife and I and we knew about 5 min after the alert that it was a false alarm because of this system, it is all done with 2meter 144 Mhz Amateur Radio Equipment. So I was spreading the word on the 146.760 Mhz frequency that is was a false alarm, I did this for about 30 min or so and then things calmed down. As soon as I saw the TV had nothing on about this, I knew it was a false alarm. I mean the President and his military would know about a ballistic missile before Hawaii's Government would. It would have been an act of war and the news stations would have been all over it. I am glad it was a false alarm but some radio active Hawaiian 'Awa mutations would kick some butt I bet. :wideyed::ROFLMAO:
Aloha.

Chris
Does the head of Civil Defense not have a telephone or internet connection? :confused: That would explain the 40 minute delay...

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Does the head of Civil Defense not have a telephone or internet connection? :confused: That would explain the 40 minute delay...
The one that I was talking about is the head for this Island, not the head for the State of Hawaii. I have no idea why it took so long, I do not know the system they use over on Oahu where this started. But having a radio that you can talk to the head of civil defense over here is great.
I know that someone is going to be in trouble on Oahu. Aloha nui loa.

Chris

verticity

I'm interested in things
The one that I was talking about is the head for this Island, not the head for the State of Hawaii. I have no idea why it took so long, I do not know the system they use over on Oahu where this started. But having a radio that you can talk to the head of civil defense over here is great.
I know that someone is going to be in trouble on Oahu. Aloha nui loa.

Chris
Yes, I can see that in the event of a real missile attack, if the infrastructure were down for example, ham radio would be really useful.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
As long as all of your equipment is protected in a faraday cage....
Yes I do have several faraday cage's. It is interesting the contributions that Michael Faraday has made, not only the cage but we would not have capacitors and some other things. The value of a capacitor is measured in farads, the value was named after him because of he invented capacitance. I love electronics almost as much as kava.
Aloha.

Chris

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I am actually a member of the emergency communication system set up here in Hawaii.The head of Civil Defense is an Amateur Radio Operator as is my wife and I and we knew about 5 min after the alert that it was a false alarm because of this system, it is all done with 2meter 144 Mhz Amateur Radio Equipment. So I was spreading the word on the 146.760 Mhz frequency that is was a false alarm, I did this for about 30 min or so and then things calmed down.
Very cool. Looks like the Big Island still has a finely tuned... coconut wireless.

I know that someone is going to be in trouble on Oahu.
Hope Oʻahu still has peanut butter jelly... cuz hana okolele! :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.