What's new

Kava Preparation So I have attempted an experiment...

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
So, I had the idea to try to make my own micronized kava. The first experiment I did was take a pantyhose and roll it over the rim of a clear water glass so it formed a small pocket maybe 2" in depth but NOT touching the bottom. I took my medium grind KWK Pouni Ono and put about 2 tbsp in at a time. After this, I used a stir stick to repeatedly agitate the kava so the fine powder in it falls into the bottom of the glass. This process takes a few minutes, I usually do this until I only see the makas. I then save up the makas and toss n wash or mix in the new "micronized" kava into a drink. This works quite well, I tested it last night. The next experiment I just performed is taking the leftover makas and putting them in a coffee grinder and repeatedly holding/pulsing it until its almost all a fine fluffy powder. After this I took a cooking oil filter screen and sifted this into a bowl until all I had left were tiny bits of makas that almost looked like flax seeds. I am still in the process but I plan to grind up the left over tiny particles and mix them in with the original mix. I will test this tonight at about 9-10ish because I just ate a mediumish meal at 7pm est. The second part of my experiment was based upon the concept that its the root fibers that upset users stomachs. So the theory im operating under is that its the size and texture of the fibers and not the contents of the fibers. Ill write back once tested!! ::chugger::

ThatDankK

So far its a success! I havent experienced a bit of nausea except for when I was trying to get it down my throat and even that was short lived. I hope this inspires others to try my method, cheers!::tipshat::

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So far its a success! I havent experienced a bit of nausea except for when I was trying to get it down my throat and even that was short lived. I hope this inspires others to try my method, cheers!::tipshat::
this looks like classic home made micronized. Seems popular with some folk, like Cactus Flow. My impression is some grinds are better suited for this than other. The finer and fluffier the better.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Forgive me if I am being dull headed; but what is the benefit of doing this? I recall that maybe you thought it would be more potent, is it? Or is it just an easier alternative to toss and wash? I guess experiments are fun and that is ample reason to do them.

ThatDankK

Forgive me if I am being dull headed; but what is the benefit of doing this? I recall that maybe you thought it would be more potent, is it? Or is it just an easier alternative to toss and wash? I guess experiments are fun and that is ample reason to do them.
Toss n wash is more potent, which is the primary reason other than the convenience. This also covers a few other problems such as cost efficiency and getting a more full range of all of the kavalactones, not just the primary 6 (which I credit @Krunkie McKrunkface with bringing this to light) I seem to notice a small deviation in effects of my different strains, I feel as though they become more full bodied and all around balanced. I did this experiment to curve the nausea and GI issues some people have with toss n washing and have found that, with myself, it is a success. Even the day after I havent experienced any nausea or other GI issues.