What's new

SO I just made up some contaminated kava grog?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
So i made kava yesterday night using my tap and just again today... as i take back 2 shells of grog, i realize that on the fridge it sais do not drink water boil first turns out a pipe bursted or something and its probrably contaminated with pathogens. Do you guys think kava is powerful enough to kill said pathogens? :p i dont feel sick or anything and i got a pretty dope immune system.... and i really dont want to dump out my kava and start over.... hmmm...

From erie county

Q26 - What infectious organisms might be present in contaminated water?
There are many possible water borne pathogens. The organisms of concern in New York State include protozoa such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium; bacteria such as Shigella and E. coli; and viruses.

These organisms primarily affect the gastrointestinal system, causing diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, and vomiting, with or without fever. Sometimes, these illnesses are contracted by ingesting contaminated water, and in some circumstances skin contact could also lead to infection. Most of these illnesses are not usually serious or life threatening except in the elderly, the very young or those who are immune compromised.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
"This Boil Water Notice applies to the Town’s of Amherst, Clarence, Lancaster, Newstead and Villages of Williamsville, Lancaster and Depew."

Oh wait im in cheektowaga... maybe im okay...

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Kava has known antiseptic qualities. But how far they actually go, who knows. I wouldn't chance it.
Boiling the kava should fix it.

You can cool it down by putting (possibly contaminated) ice cubes into a washed-clean plastic bag submerged in the
hot kava. An ice-cube condom, so to speak!

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
So i made kava yesterday night using my tap and just again today... as i take back 2 shells of grog, i realize that on the fridge it sais do not drink water boil first turns out a pipe bursted or something and its probrably contaminated with pathogens. Do you guys think kava is powerful enough to kill said pathogens? :p i dont feel sick or anything and i got a pretty dope immune system.... and i really dont want to dump out my kava and start over.... hmmm...

From erie county

Q26 - What infectious organisms might be present in contaminated water?
There are many possible water borne pathogens. The organisms of concern in New York State include protozoa such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium; bacteria such as Shigella and E. coli; and viruses.

These organisms primarily affect the gastrointestinal system, causing diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, and vomiting, with or without fever. Sometimes, these illnesses are contracted by ingesting contaminated water, and in some circumstances skin contact could also lead to infection. Most of these illnesses are not usually serious or life threatening except in the elderly, the very young or those who are immune compromised.
I have been using hot tap water since I started drinking kava, I never had a problem. Though we live in the same state, we are pretty far apart. As for boiling the water first, here is a thought. Use distilled water, it's a buck for a gallon and it's exactly the same thing.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Regarding E. coli: Most E. coli is not harmful. It is naturally occurring in everyone's guts. If kava killed that E. coli, it could actually be bad for you, by depleting your intestinal flora. When you hear about "E. coli poisoning" it's only certain virulent strains of E. coli that make people sick. It would seem that if kava does not kill "good" E. coli, there is no reason to believe it would just selectively kill "bad" E. coli..