What's new

so i looked on Google and...

pearly_sweetcake

Kava Curious
So I'm really new to this kava thing like haven't even tried it yet new haha but i just ordered some nakamal @home and I'm stoked to get it. I'm in a program that won't let me take my anxiety meds which is so harmful to my mental state and i was wondering what kind of kava you would recommend to use on a daily basis like for work and just functioning thru the day. On the n@h website the kind i ordered was the Solomon kava because it was the cheapest for over a pound. And when i was reading the kavasseur`s reviews i realized after i had ordered it that he said the Solomon was a great alcohol replacement but then i also realized that review was from 2010 and on the n@h website they said it was their newest kava so... the whole thing is making me nervous. So i guess 3 quick questions haha

1) have you tried the new Solomon?

2) if you think i should get a different one for daily use what would it be?

3) and finally how long does it usually take for kava to arrive after ordering?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Hi pearly. I've tried Solomons, it's pretty good stuff, very clear headed and quite possibly a good choice for your situation. What kava is the best for you is something you'll have to figure out through experimentation, but I would recommend starting out with varieties that are higher in kavain (their chemotype starts with a '4') such as Hawaiians. Shipping is dependent on the vendor and the whims of the USPS, in the past N@H orders usually get to me in 3-4 days but this time of year it might be longer.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Yeah, they are great too. Don't chow down too many before you know how sorbitol (the sweetener in the candy) effects your digestion though. I get pretty upset stomach if I eat too many.

D

Deleted User01

Boy such a huge topic and so little space. I think Kava candy is a very good start. You can see how it sits with you. I would have recommended Instant Kava as the next phase. You are going to learn quickly that Kava tea made with Kava powder is awful tasting. It is also a lot of work and not something you can easily take to work (unless you work out of the house). The instant and micronized kavas are more portable. Just dump in water or fruit juice and chug. Then there is the distasteful subject of trying to avoid Kavas that have been blended with Tudei Kavas. Tudeis can sometime cause upset stomach and even a Kava hangover the next day. You are going to have lots of questions as you proceed. For now, proceed slowly and carefully. When you start drinking Kava, you can do a shell every 20 minutes. After every shell, sit back and evaluate how you feel. When you feel good, then stop. This ain't like doing shots. We are just trying to get comfortable. Good luck!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I had Solomon's about a year ago, for me it was a nice light experience, not over powering or high-like as many others report. I'd say it could be good for the use you're looking for, at the right dose.
Candies work good for convenience, but they aren't very strong. Perhaps strength isn't what your looking for during the workday. You might consider them being good for removing some anxiety with out 'feeling' it actually doing so. Eat several and you may also 'feel' it.

R

Rookietwoshoes

I recently tried the Solomon a few times since I live close to that kava bar and it was definitely heady and racy. I'm not sure if that strain would be appropriate to quell anxiety issues since the effects were felt mostly in the head as opposed to something more sedative, mind/body wise, like their Stone.

I'm not certain if the Solomon Islands which Kavasseur reviewed years ago is the same Solomon that is currently in stock. I've had that same question myself. I know that Kavasseur recently received a bunch of kava from N@h and plans on reviewing their latest batches.

You'll probably get it within 5 days from the date that you placed your order.

Personally, I wouldn't want my thoughts on overdrive if I'm trying to stop feeling anxious. Is it too late to cancel or change your order? Maybe you can find out about if they have a return/exchange policy if the product is unopened . And then again, you can actually give it a shot and find out how it makes you feel. Each person seems to feel the nuances of certain kava strains differently so maybe it will be the right fit after all. If not, try to see if you can trade your bag with someone who has kava that they don't necessarily care for.

Unfortunately, there is a costly roll of the dice that we must deal with when ordering blindly off the Internet. Thank goodness there are kava forums and reviewers that provide experiential roadmaps so those new to kava are not completely lost at sea. On your next purchase I'd encourage you to try companies that sell sampler packs, like GHK and Bula Kava . It will allow you to try a variety of different strains - which is a lot better than making expensive mistakes.

pearly_sweetcake

Kava Curious
And thanks rookietwoshoes i kinda figured it was a little different for everyone does anyone have experience with the reverse tolerance? How long does that usually take?

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
All Kavas i have sampled were excellent replacements for alcohol. I would not worry about this too much. The devil is in the details though. While some kavas are more upbeat, others will sedate you more. It comes down to preferences and then, as rookie said - luck. Reverse tolerance might take a few weeks to go away. Personally, i'd dive right in and not muck around with candies and instants too much. Sure, they've got their place but it makes sense to me to get accustomed to the real deal right from the start. I'm not sure you can get accustomed to the taste though.

Ceraton

Heavy Kava Drinker
For my Reverse Tolerance, I just drink from some coconut shells until I like the effects I feel.

For micronized or instant kava, I chug a 16oz bottle with 13.5oz of water with 4 tbsp of kava. I wait 15 minutes, and if the effects don't appear then I chug another bottle. I do it until I feel the kava effects.

With that method I can probably single out where my reverse tolerance levels are if I start reducing the amounts in certain bottles to see where the line is drawn.

As a noobie, this is the method I take.

Cheers ::happyshell::

R

Rookietwoshoes

There are lots of threads here which have information concerning strains that are suspected to contain tudei. If I remember correctly, Solomon does not but Stone might be spiked with it. There's also a sticky on how you can do an at home test with acetone to determine if your kava contains tudei.

I never had any issue with reverse tolerance. I felt kava's effect right from my first shell and find it interesting that some people do not.

ps - the flavor of Solomon and Stone really turned me off at first. Mixing it with cranberry juice instead of water helped A LOT. Look into Kava Kalm's concentrate bottle for a flavorful alternative. Or like Deleted User01 said - instants in some juice go down fairly easily, though they are somewhat pricey for the amount that you get.

pearly_sweetcake

Kava Curious
I'm not too worried about the taste of it because I've had a lot of experience with bad tasting things haha but I do believethat I will be making some tea and juice and such with my first couple times what about the soy lecithin or ginger? Should i get some of that?

blindy107

Kava Lover
I'm not too worried about the taste of it because I've had a lot of experience with bad tasting things haha but I do believethat I will be making some tea and juice and such with my first couple times what about the soy lecithin or ginger? Should i get some of that?
Welcome! If you are prone to upset stomach more so than bad taste I would invest in some candied ginger or ginger beer. The soy lecithin really isn't shown to do a ton in the name of "lactone extraction". That's the kind of thing I would leave to the number crunchers (Not me).

You stated a program that prohibits anti anxiety drugs. If it's for legal reasons I would make sure you are in the clear here. Just my 2cents. Otherwise.... Weeeeeee! Welcome again, this is a great place full of loving individuals who genuinely care about others in the "tribe". You found a good'un!

Last edited:

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Lecithin is cheap enough that giving it a try doesn't hurt much. There are easier ways to do the same thing that lecithin is suppose to do though.

I tried it when I first started drinking kava. I can't remember if it ever really did much for me.

Oh and...
Welcome to the tribe. ::happyshell::

pearly_sweetcake

Kava Curious
Welcome! If you are prone to upset stomach more so than bad taste I would invest in some candied ginger or ginger beer. The soy lecithin really isn't shown to do a ton in the name of "lactone extraction". That's the kind of thing I would leave to the number crunchers (Not me).

You stated a program that prohibits anti anxiety drugs. If it's for legal reasons I would make sure you are in the clear here. Just my 2cents. Otherwise.... Weeeeeee! Welcome again, this is a great place full of loving individuals who genuinely care about others in the "tribe". You found a good'un!
It is for legal reasons. I looked online and couldn't find any reason it would show up in a test. Have you heard differently?