What's new

Social drinker safety

Chakram

Kava Curious
So, I just learned that kava 1) has an accumulative effect in our systems, and 2) can make the effect of alcohol stronger.

I drink socially. If I’m at dinner, out dancing, or - as is the case this coming Sunday - at a theme park, I’ll have 1-3 drinks timed to be done several hours before driving home.

I want to understand the potential risks here so I can adjust my choices accordingly. Right now I’m enjoying drinking 2-3 tbsp Kava each day. I’m not planning to do that every day forever, but right now it’s nice since I’ve really had terrible insomnia.

Should I stop Kava X number of days before I know I’ll be drinking? Or just make sure I stop after just 1 drink if I’ve had Kava within a certain time frame?

To be clear, I get that everyone’s body is different. I’m not looking for perfect answers I can take to the bank. More your best judgment on what sounds safe and smart.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
So, I just learned that kava 1) has an accumulative effect in our systems, and 2) can make the effect of alcohol stronger.

I drink socially. If I’m at dinner, out dancing, or - as is the case this coming Sunday - at a theme park, I’ll have 1-3 drinks timed to be done several hours before driving home.

I want to understand the potential risks here so I can adjust my choices accordingly. Right now I’m enjoying drinking 2-3 tbsp Kava each day. I’m not planning to do that every day forever, but right now it’s nice since I’ve really had terrible insomnia.

Should I stop Kava X number of days before I know I’ll be drinking? Or just make sure I stop after just 1 drink if I’ve had Kava within a certain time frame?

To be clear, I get that everyone’s body is different. I’m not looking for perfect answers I can take to the bank. More your best judgment on what sounds safe and smart.
We recommend 24 hours between the two due to a reaction seen with some individuals where they will break out in hives and other allergic type reactions due to the combo. This may or may not be something that affects you, it just seems we see the reaction often enough to warrant caution.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I'm mainly concerned with the idea that driving is considered "safe" a certain time after drinking alcohol.

Nonetheless, I am one of those individuals who gets the histamine reaction from combining the two. Try it at your own risk, I don't think anything will happen to your organs, I wish there is a way you can forego driving on nights you indulge in any amount of alcohol rather than delay the drive, however. Must be the way I was taught, everybody is different, decided to post this so you have a variety of opinions.

Here's a potential alternative: Have a designated driver bring you to and from the theme park. Is it within walking distance in case they stand you up? Save kava for after when you are nestled in at home, not because of physical effects, suggested because I feel kava may be more enjoyable the later you go in the day. Most of the times I had kava before a dinner I got sleepy on the way home, and the sun wasn't even down yet.

Last edited:

Valyn

Kava Curious
I would have someone sober monitoring you at all times and have the car keys taken away. People also tend to lash out with aggression on kava so it's good to be able to calm to them down.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I would have someone sober monitoring you at all times and have the car keys taken away. People also tend to lash out with aggression on kava so it's good to be able to calm to them down.
Aggression with kava? :unsure: Did you mean alcohol there or have you seen people get combative on kava?

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I have not noticed any effect of kava making me more aggressive or impulsive. I'm not so concerned that I think a sitter is required, and driving seems to be at your own risk if you can keep the drinks within the specified range.

Let me tackle it from a different perspective. Will you be aware of the alcohol content by volume of the drinks? Three light beers constitute an impairment of at least three hours in my opinion while three craft ales or housemade mixed drinks can contain twice as much alcohol. I merely err on the side of caution.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
ahhh, gotcha. I was like "uhhh, uh oh. Is there a new type of kava on the market I don't know about?" lol.
Only aggression I perceive with kava, is how aggressively it fights gravity and/or my ability to control myself from going permanently horizontal for the day.