What's new

Some info about Hawaiian kava

D

Deleted User01

Thanks Violet!!!! I'm running downstairs to get my credit card now. I never thought to check ebay and there they are. A little pricey but I would pay that for a rare elephant ear and I'm treating this as a rare and valuable plant. I'm excited.

I already have a place picked out for it(them), right next to the patio table so we can talk to each other while I'm sipping my Weekender by the pool. I think I'll put it in a pot to it started ... too much talk, need to order now. Thanks again.

D

Deleted User01

Ok, I have 1 bid in on the Mo'i. That way I can tap Chris for advice if I have problems with it. Heh, heh, heh. I haven't done Ebay in a very long time, wish I could just buy the Mo'i outright. I'm also thinking of purchasing the other one but I will check it out when I finish my work. Both those sellers have a lot of interesting stuff for sale so I will be back.

D

Deleted User01

Yes they are. I have that one that you sent me. They are a little finicky. I have several good suppliers in Fl. that sell those and I emailed those 2 guys first to see if they could get Kava plants. And dig this, once they get to a certain size, you can take cuttings and start more. My wife is good at this. We do that with the Elephant ears but we subdivide them and give them to friends and neighbors as little gifts.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@Kapm, I am sorry but I have never been able to confirm that they do have a kava farm, I am sure they have real kava but I do know from what they say on there site that there kava is mixed with other herbs and fillers, like this "Other ingredients:" Soy powder" I know this is an extract but the soy powder does not add any real flavor, it is used mainly as a filler.
I have also never met them. There are some things on there site that concern me and make me wonder if they do have a lot of Hawaiian kava like they say, or are they mixing other kava from the south pacific or are they using wild kava that was already on the land they own or close by in the Native forest. Another part that makes me wonder is this---"Unfortunately, our farm is not open to the public, and we do not give tours under any circumstances, sorry. Our farm is on a private family estate, and we love what we do and all of the customers who purchase our Kava, but it is still our home, and we don't give tours to anyone, including locals and/or visiting customers."
I like how they say unfortunately, because it is unfortunate.
In all my many years of growing kava, I have never had any problem with people coming over to look at my farm, I am proud to show it off and to let people know that all that I say is true, if I say I grow kava, then I do. There are other things too that make me wonder about this company and if they have a functional kava farm or if they import as well as harvest from the wild, I just don't know and neither does anyone else because they do not let people come to visit there farm. When I look at some of the things they say, it seems that they are willing to put statements that might not be true, for example they say this---"We are proud to boast more returning customers than any other kava farm we know of" My question to them is how they get to see all the other vendors sale reports? I know I never gave them mine and other farmers I talk to have never given them theirs, this kind of stuff is not open for public view so how would they know. It is all a sales tactic but they do not back up there statements. I have also heard a lot of reports that there kava used to be good but now it is not, this would also lead me to believe that there kava is either wild Hawaiian or imported, I can not see how a farm that says they take care of there kava would have a junk product or not let a few people in to see it. I hope this helps, this is just my opinion and it is based on my knowledge of what has happened before, Company X will import kava from there home country (in this case it was Fiji) and sell X would sell it as Hawaiian Kava, I am not saying this is what Kona kava does but it has happened, that is why I always suggest that you get to know the sellers that sell kava. There are plenty of good top notch sellers that provide a wealth of information and other things like Pictures, videos, and even tours of there facility if you are in there area. Companies that do this show that they take pride in there product and they are not scared to show you there stuff, they are proud and actually feel good when you do because they know they did there job in making you comfortable that you are getting exactly what they say you are.
There are other sellers here in Hawaii that show that they do in fact have a kava farm and grow and process kava, you can see the proof in there websites and in there emails if you ask to come and see there operation. To me the proof is in the pudding. And I like my pudding with a lot of yellow froth and strong. :)

@Deleted User01 I was seriously thinking of bidding on that kava plant. :D But I have enough Mo'i ;)
You have to send me a picture when you get it, then I can make sure it is mo'i and not papa ele'ele or papa ele'ele pu'u pu'u, but it does not really matter I guess, they are all good kava.
Aloha everyone.

Chris

Last edited:

violet

Do all things with love
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava I've been wanting to get a kava plant to keep as an indoor container plant, but the more pictures I see of kava plants (especially yours!) my question is, would I be able to keep a kava plant contained and trimmed down to live indoors for a few years?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Violet, you can keep kava in a pot and it will stay small, you can also prune it to keep it small. I would think that it is worth a try, you never know with kava. I have taken several different kava's to see if I can induce a mutation, I did this by planting the kava in different environments, some were extreme. I was able to change the kava but it was not a true mutation. I took cuttings from the changed kava and I grew it in a normal environment and it would grow in the normal way, it did not keep the change. A mutation will keep the change.
Aloha.

Chris

violet

Do all things with love
Thanks Chris. I wonder if you would have replanted several generations in the altered environment if it would have maintained any of the changed characteristics?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thanks for the Kona response. I have bad feelings about them because they wear so many different names. If kavaforums had the same advertising budget as Kona I'd wager we could completely saturate the kava industry with quality kava and caring farmers and vendors. Totally rooting out the poor quality "volume" sellers (pun intended). I'm not about taking people's income but honestly they're taking ours with what seems like no trouble.

Also....man I'd love to grow a kava plant in my home. Never to consume, but to reflect on how awesome it is by caring for a real living version of what I drink on a daily basis.

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
I've always wondered if they got a bad rap from people trying kava and not feeling effects from Rt and also flat out not liking the taste but seems like you guys know for sure

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone.
I spoke to the seller on ebay that is selling the Mo'i kava plants, I asked him if he had anymore kava plants and any other variates. He said yes he does have more of the Mo'i and he said he also has also have Hiwa and Pana'ewa.
He does ship to the mainland and he will have them through the summer. Aloha.

Chris

violet

Do all things with love
Nice, thanks Chris. I usually see kava plants for sale every time I have looked on eBay, but this was the first time any of them were identified as a particular variety. I will get one sooner or later, it should make merry company with the orchids.