• Thread starter Deactivated Account
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
@nemo

I don't like being a tourist. I like to blend in at least a little bit. I just don't want to be....horribly obvious...if that makes any sense.:oops:

D

Deactivated Account

@nemo

I don't like being a tourist. I like to blend in at least a little bit. I just don't want to be….horribly obvious...if that makes any sense.:oops:
If your by yourself in Vila just wandering around you mostly always will blend in.

One or 2 cruise ships berth every week. They all depart late afternoon that same day so its funny to watch the little buses rushing the cruise ship tourists to the early nakamals, all with braided hair & bad sunburns. The driver takes them to the spit wall & the looks on their faces as they try their first kava is gold. Not one local even looks at them, they are so very used to it all. Honestly ive seen them arrive, have a shell & be ushered back onto the bus in under 3-4 mins. Totally missing what kava is.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I would love some of this forum to join me in feb there, such a fantastic experience to join in with them in a nakamal. The smell of the kava & the sounds in the low light are a real trip.
Back when I had some money and was travelin' I would have definitely met up with you...Vanuatu was on my list too...now I'm broke and it seems like a distant dream :grumpy: ...I'll get there one day...

D

Deactivated Account

Back when I had some money and was travelin' I would have definitely met up with you...Vanuatu was on my list too...now I'm broke and it seems like a distant dream :grumpy: ...I'll get there one day...
Well mate just give me a yell when your ready…i dont need a lot of prompting to head over. Im actually looking at moving there one day however in my line of work i would need to work for a french eng company & ive even looked (well toyed) into french language courses. Nearly all expats ive met there are self sufficient business people…such a range of people too. Kiwis,aussies,swedes,french etc & a great bunch to sit & drink kava with. Wages are so low i couldnt work like that.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't looked at Vanuatu job listings for programmers... but its looking more economical for me to save up some money, go to Australia and then Vanuatu on the way back

D

Deactivated Account

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't looked at Vanuatu job listings for programmers... but its looking more economical for me to save up some money, go to Australia and then Vanuatu on the way back
Plenty of peace corp over there if you take a break…not sure of their requirements though. They get to the remote islands too, spoken to a few of them. Most dont know what kava is when they get there they say but at the end of thier time, they are solid kava converts lol !

D

Deactivated Account

Cleaning off some old memory cards.

I only had an $80 pocket camera with me when i asked this chap if i could take his photo…i just wish i had my DSLR as i could have got a lot more from the photo. This nakamal is beside the resort (well its more a motel) i stay at.

Maybe i will see him again. Nivans love you taking their photo.

I will add...the dirt is smooth around the entrance of the nakamals because of spit. They will spit for a minute after each shell. Of course you always spit at the spit wall where you stand & drink your shell but those guys just keep going. There is always a tap or bottle of water to rinse your mouth. The wall is to the right of that basin.

I always have a small torch with me as nakamals are as black as bats arses inside most of them at night & it's not hard to sit in a big loogie (I've done it quite a few times) I've had my toes spat on before, completely unintentional as it's bloody dark.

You can buy a cigarette in there also for 50 vatu.

2a.jpg

D

Deactivated Account

Some more…nothing in particular, just me walking about Port Vila waiting for the nakamals to open as usual.

This is Sofi (sophies) nakamal. You can see the blue light in the middle of the tree, if its lit then kava is on.

3a.jpg

The markets where i usually eat. Its 'mum' food i call it. Lots of it & sticks to your ribs, dont think ive ever been able to finish a meal there yet they give you so much. Braised steak, chicken curries etc. About $3.50 - $4 a meal.

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

Never a shortage of fresh produce here in the markets.

6a.jpg

7a.jpg

8a.jpg

Coconut Krab (delicious isnt the word believe me)

10a.jpg

Le Lagon Resort…stayed there once but its about 3 klms out of the town so i rather stay in closer to nakamal hop.

11a.jpg

Food at Bon Marche super market. I love a feed there also but by hell you can feel your arteries closing with each chew. Best ragout i have ever tasted bar none.

12a.jpg

Inside Port Vila airport with an old US WWII engine in the back ground. Its a pretty basic airport but seems to operate well.

1a.jpg

LocalBliss

Finder of the Samoan Kava
Way to go nemo. Enjoyed the pics, thanks for sharing :happy:
btw do they peel off the skin first? what is the process?

Status
Not open for further replies.