What's new

Some thoughts on grind...

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I've been thinking about this lately too, as I've tried a few different mediums.

I agree, I think that a larger medium grind provides less upset, and possibly better results.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting that you bring this up, because I've been in the habit the past few months of putting my medium grind in the strainer bag and shaking it for a bit into the bowl, so that i ONLY have the remaining chips that I soak and knead. I've found it results in much stronger kava without all the work :hungry:

D

Deleted User01

@Deleted User, so your theory is that the fine grind lets the Makas into the grog? I never get stomach distress from Maka-less Micronized and I don't strain it. The theory of fine grind makas going through the strainer sounds reasonable. It might also aggravate dermo for all we know.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Cool I'm not alone in wondering about this phenomenon... I thought it was my strainer being too big of holes... cuz when I use the muslin I had it really wasn't to much of an issue but still had sediment... and depending on the day and how gross it is I'll just drink it all... I don't experience stomach issues tho ! Just farts haha... but I agree I would love bigger coarse.. cuz I can feel the oil better in them.... like the hanky Panky I got was really nice in that regard

blindy107

Kava Lover
So @Deleted User your thought is that it's still root material getting by? Akin to a micro grind? So the firmer makas aren't actually what constitute the sediment dust in your eyes. That's all dandy with me.

I notice with kwk borogu that I get tons of sediment. I strain it a few times typically. Waka loa and Boronguru are nice and coarse though!

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Hmm. Interesting thoughts, Garry. At the same time, I believe that these sediments are not the only the only things that may cause nausea. I remember that even fresh kava (in larger amounts) causes some nausea. It seems that the kavalactones themselves cause nausea (perhaps because of the anaestetic effect?). Also, from my personal experience, good micronized kava is rather gentle on the stomach. Not as gentle or smooth as instant, but definitely not as harsh as drinking the equivalent amount of medium grind sediments. So perhaps it is also a problem of makas? Finer grinds contain finely ground makas that form the sediments?

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I agree that the sediments may indeed contribute to nausea. However, I still think that bitterness and the anesthetic effect of kava are the main issues. Perhaps there are different types of adverse digestive issues with kava: 1) nausea caused by bitterness and kls; 2) other types of issues (e.g. irregular bowel movements, etc) caused by makas and/or sediments?

Idgie

Kava Enthusiast
I haven't bought any new kava in a while, and will certainly give the boronguru a shot - do any other vendors offer a courser grind? Because yeah, anything I was buying a year ago or so was super fine (even though it said medium grind).

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I haven't bought any new kava in a while, and will certainly give the boronguru a shot - do any other vendors offer a courser grind? Because yeah, anything I was buying a year ago or so was super fine (even though it said medium grind).
I believe Noble Kava will do a coarser grind if you ask (that was a while back, so I'd double check w/ them before ordering)

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
This is an interesting topic that I was also thinking about recently. I am in Tonga and have been experimenting with the different sellers at the market, buying a kilo bag each Saturday morning. I had one very finely ground batch, and during prep lost about 40% of the mass whilst massaging and straining. I collected most of this prior to drinking, with 4 filters through the stocking and agree this is partly wasted kava as it has only been soaked and not massaged/squeezed before disposal. It was strong and had good effects but I was noticeably slower than normal the mornings after drinking this batch.
Switching to a more medium grind supplier the last few weeks and I get much less sediment, and less lethargy the next morning.
On the subject of nausea though I think Henry is on to something - nausea is common in drinking fresh kava also, which has no sediment. Some of the nakamals in Vila do not do a particularly good job of cleaning their kava during afternoon prep, and leaving too much skin on gets people retching in the dark. Even good, clean, but very strong fresh kava can get people vomiting of they take too much too quick. So maybe the nausea effects are more to do with multiple properties of kava hitting your stomach.
The worst ever nausea that I have had is when fresh (green) kava is prepared and left in the bucket more than 3-4 hours and it "turns", like in some of the Vila nakamals that open mid afternoon, so prepare their kava earlier around lunchtime. By 6 in the evening it has a terrible sour, acidic, face-gurning property to it. You feel the nausea slam your stomach lining immediately after downing the shell and have to really focus to hold it. I don't know what causes this "turn" (oxidation?) but would be interested to find out.

Kavababa

Kava Curious
So I guess this is why Chris from GHK said he prefers to use 2x pantyhoses as opposed to paint strainers for massaging and kneeding kava.

Are makas the same thing that causes issues with people when they ingest non-gelatizinized maca root?