What's new

Sore knuckles - could it be from kneading?

Crunked

Proselytizer
I drink kava every night. I usually make it from root powder so I have to knead and squeeze for 6-10 minutes. Lately I have been waking up with sore knuckles on my kneading hand. I can't be sure if it is from kneading the kava or not as there are other possible causes. I intend to go on to instant for a week to see what happens. Has anyone else had this problem?

(I'm hoping it isn't the first sign of arthritis (smiley: eyes))

Nihilist

Kava Enthusiast
When I was drinking it everyday my hands would hurt sometimes.

I think doing anything over and over again can cause a repetitive stress injury.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Deleted User said:
Having fairly severe carpal tunnel, here's my cure - flat bottom Rubbermaid container, knee-high nylon strainer, and a potato masher!
Oh my...
I thought it was just a metaphor.  Elizabeth II has been complaining for months about the mess I make when using a "potato masher."

Crunked

Proselytizer
Deleted User said:
Having fairly severe carpal tunnel, here's my cure - flat bottom Rubbermaid container, knee-high nylon strainer, and a potato masher!

Interesting. (smiley: smokin)
How would you rate the effectiveness of this method compared to hand-kneading? Do you have to use the potato masher for longer?
(No need to say if your mashed potato tastes like kava (smiley: laugh)).

kavalover

Outsider
Quote removed due to privacy request
Wow. I have that exact same potato masher, and I never thought of this. I wish we could give kudos to individual posts. I'm going to have to try this.

KavaKrunked

Kava Enthusiast
Crunked said:
I drink kava every night. I usually make it from root powder so I have to knead and squeeze for 6-10 minutes. Lately I have been waking up with sore knuckles on my kneading hand. I can't be sure if it is from kneading the kava or not as there are other possible causes. I intend to go on to instant for a week to see what happens. Has anyone else had this problem?(I'm hoping it isn't the first sign of arthritis )
6-10 minutes?  I usually knead/squeeze for at least 20 minutes, sometimes twice per day, and have had no ill effects on my hands.

Crunked

Proselytizer
Okay, the potato masher worked really well after giving the powder a good soak. I still have sore finger joints in the morning. I am now wondering if it could be the kava that is causing this. I know that kava is usually considered to be a muscle relaxant, but this quote caught my eye:
Because of the uncertainty around kava, you should take it only with
your doctor's supervision. If you have taken kava and are having
symptoms of liver damage [such as yellow skin (jaundice), fatigue,
abdominal pain, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, and joint pain],
seek immediate medical attention.
Source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/kava-kava-000259.htm#ixzz2LaHQf5e9

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Crunked said:
Okay, the potato masher worked really well after giving the powder a good soak. I still have sore finger joints in the morning. I am now wondering if it could be the kava that is causing this. I know that kava is usually considered to be a muscle relaxant, but this quote caught my eye:
Because of the uncertainty around kava, you should take it only with

your doctor's supervision. If you have taken kava and are having

symptoms of liver damage [such as yellow skin (jaundice), fatigue,

abdominal pain, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, and joint pain],

seek immediate medical attention.
Source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/kava-kava-000259.htm#ixzz2LaHQf5e9
big pharma hogwash is what that is.